What's new

Kava Europe is back!

Kava_Europe

EU Vendor
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone,

As you may have heard, the rules around kava have changed again in Europe/Poland and unfortunately the dietary supplement route has been closed indefinetely. While we are doing our best to get kava legal for consumption this might take time.

However, we've figured that some people might still be keen to use high quality kava for other purposes, hence we've decided to re-open our shop under a new formula, catering to people looking for a natural and safe way to dye their t-shirts or strainer bags.

We are now the suppliers of the world's finest kava that can be used for this purpose. You can now prepare a natural kava dye that will add a beautiful colour to your strainer bag, t-shirt or any other item of clothing. We remain Kava Society's exclusive distributor in the European Union and continue to source KS's fine products. :)

All the best,
Kava Europe

P.s. here's an example of an actual t-shirt dyed with kava:

kava shirt.jpg

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Sadly, the current batch is quite weak. Please take care of your reputation @TheKavaSociety as this strength level is not really what i come to expect from you.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Sadly, the current batch is quite weak. Please take care of your reputation @TheKavaSociety as this strength level is not really what i come to expect from you.
Hi,

All batches of Pacific Elixir test within the same range and are consistently made using the same ratio of stump to root of 60:40 using 5 year old+ plants. Nothing has changed other than environmental factors and possibly cultivar composition (as it as a blend of 3-4 cultivars at various proportions) We 100% guarantee all batches are processed to the same standard.

All our kava is organic, grown with no chemical pesticides, herbicides etc. This means it is at the mercy of nature. Organic kava, like organic apples, milk, wine or coffee, varies from season to season, harvest to harvest, so no two batches are the same, but when it comes to quality we maintain the same standard.

Kava's perception of strength is a complex issue as, in addition to factors described above, it is often influenced by drinker's sensitivity to specific chemotypes/cultivars, but also drinker's metabolism/diet/lifestyle.

We are sorry to hear you are finding the current batch weaker, but we 100% guarantee it is processed up to the very same high quality standard as always.

Having said this, Kava Europe is adding our Mighty Roots (100% lateral roots all processed from green kava) to their catalogue this month, which is by its nature guaranteed to be stronger than any batch of Elixir:)

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Kava's perception of strength is a complex issue as, in addition to factors described above, it is often influenced by drinker's sensitivity to specific chemotypes/cultivars, but also drinker's metabolism/diet/lifestyle.
This is very true. Its just that i noticed it becoming less strong over time while i have also taken breaks from it and used other kavas in between. Its also confirmed by another member here who has noticed a big reduction in strength. If you say that nothing has changed i have to accept it. Since you said that it is a blend of 3-4 cultivars, perhaps the recipe has changed in a way that made it appear less powerful. I have no doubts your processing is still amazing but if you pay 100€ for a pound in Europe its already expensive as is. Price is really at a point where you become a bit pissed off if strength drops. Pre-Pam, prices were 50% of what we pay now and strength was maybe double. It's just like...if 50g does not give you a strong experience anymore what's the point?

I do accept the possibility that its just me, that there is some tolerance maybe. I mean it's not ridiciolously weak blend but it was so much better. Could it be that strength fluctuates from bag to bad or even from within the bag (different cultivars not mixing evenly)? I would like to hear from others who tried the current batch. I really want to be wrong here and not be the one who "badmouths" the product. I have been a big fan actually and thought to share my feedback to see if there is something that can be improved.

Having said this, Kava Europe is adding our Mighty Roots (100% lateral roots all processed from green kava) to their catalogue this month, which is by its nature guaranteed to be stronger than any batch of Elixir
Sounds fantastic :)

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
This is very true. Its just that i noticed it becoming less strong over time while i have also taken breaks from it and used other kavas in between. Its also confirmed by another member here who has noticed a big reduction in strength. If you say that nothing has changed i have to accept it. Since you said that it is a blend of 3-4 cultivars, perhaps the recipe has changed in a way that made it appear less powerful. I have no doubts your processing is still amazing but if you pay 100€ for a pound in Europe its already expensive as is. Price is really at a point where you become a bit pissed off if strength drops. Pre-Pam, prices were 50% of what we pay now and strength was maybe double. It's just like...if 50g does not give you a strong experience anymore what's the point?

I do accept the possibility that its just me, that there is some tolerance maybe. I mean it's not ridiciolously weak blend but it was so much better. Could it be that strength fluctuates from bag to bad or even from within the bag (different cultivars not mixing evenly)? I would like to hear from others who tried the current batch. I really want to be wrong here and not be the one who "badmouths" the product. I have been a big fan actually and thought to share my feedback to see if there is something that can be improved.

Sounds fantastic :)

Hi,
No worries. We value and welcome all feedback, but just note that these perceptions of "strength" can be influenced by a range of factors, including one's individual predisposition, metabolism etc. We want our kava to be organically grown, using traditional growing methods and this means we accept there will be a natural variation in things like taste/aroma/potency between batches, especially when it's a blend (like Pacific Elixir). And indeed, different cultivars will have different effects on different people. E.g. @Kapmcrunk simply doesn't feel any effects when he drinks Palarasul, regardless of who grows or processes it, while others (including myself) find it to be among the most reliable and enjoyable cultivars. This is also partially why we've worked so hard with our Vanuatu partners/suppliers to create the Single Cultivar range that offers 100% pure single cultivar powders at their natural ratio of roots and stump. People can then enjoy the effects/profile of their favourite cultivar, switch between cultivars whenever they get a bit bored (I've noticed myself that switching between cultivars often "refreshes the spark", so to speak), though there will also be some variation between batches considering they too are grown organically. Even cultivars like Bir Kar (which we get from one specific area) can vary slightly in between batches depending on the climating conditions, soil qualities in specific sections of the garden, etc, etc.

What we can guarantee is that all of our kava is harvested when the plants are mature, it's always processed straight from green (i.e. not village dried, but brought to the processing facility fresh/green) and then meticulously cleaned, peeled, dried in temp controlled dehydrators and packaged in a hygenic, HACCP certified environment. Pacific Elixir is a blend of different noble cultivars and batches will have some variations with some having more Borogoru, others more Melo Melo etc. It's generally pretty consistent chemotype wise, but does vary from batch to batch when it comes to specific genetic combo. We 100% guarantee that the kava is pure, clean, processed to the highest possible standard. Beyond this, any variation will be due to nature, soil, rain patterns, temperature, etc. Again, that's the same thing with wine. Some vintages are sweeter (higher sugar content), others have more depth, some are great, others so so. Even the best French vinyards will have better and worse vintages if they keep things real and authentic.

As for the price, the European prices reflect the horrific logistics, risks, legal challenges etc involved with selling kava in Europe. Our distributor has been moving mountains and spending countless days and nights trying to make it work and for this project to remain legal and operational. They've spent a fortune on legal advice, they still had to shut down their operation for weeks or months due to contantly changing rules and legal challenges in Europe. They are 100% committed to operating legally and will not be selling kava if it's not legal to do so, but this whole thing has been a nightmare. They are working hard (and spendig substantial sums) on trying to advance kava's legal status in Europe and maybe things will get easier and cheaper in the future, but for now things are what they are.

Note though that our NZ prices are much lower ($159 NZD per kg, i.e. around 44 EUR per pound if my calculations are correct) and have remained at the same level for quite some time now (including throughout COVID-19!) despite the price of literally everything going through the roof. Inflation rate in NZ is close to 10%, it's the same elsewhere around the world and yet we've kept our kava prices fairly stable. So, in real terms, kava has been decreasing in price over the last 2-3 years. Can't guarantee it will remain the case for much longer, but we are doing our best. One thing we couldnt control is the global freight prices and all the delays associated with the pandemic. Our international shipping prices have gone through the roof, but nothing we cna do about it.

Thanks again for your support :)

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the writeup - surely i do acknowledge that providing Kava in Europe is a difficult thing and i'm grateful that there are some people out there that try to take on that challenge. I also believe that there should be a reward that comes with it. The fact that Kava Prices in Europe are borderline insane is a testament to the difficulty both vendors and buyers face.

After trying the current batch a few more times it feels as if the blend has shifted and is notably less heady and buzzy. The heady effect also feels more "clean", less like a beeswarm. At the same time there is a more pronounced body/anti-anxiety effect that develops later. Having tasted a few balanced kava blends i have to say its difficult to get it right so it hits the spot. Often both sides of the effects spectrum are somewhat underrepresented. Maybe this can only be solved by using a very heady kava and blending it with a super heavy so you still get a sufficient kavain effect.

Mantrika

Hi everyone,

As you may have heard, the rules around kava have changed again in Europe/Poland and unfortunately the dietary supplement route has been closed indefinetely. While we are doing our best to get kava legal for consumption this might take time.

However, we've figured that some people might still be keen to use high quality kava for other purposes, hence we've decided to re-open our shop under a new formula, catering to people looking for a natural and safe way to dye their t-shirts or strainer bags.

We are now the suppliers of the world's finest kava that can be used for this purpose. You can now prepare a natural kava dye that will add a beautiful colour to your strainer bag, t-shirt or any other item of clothing. We remain Kava Society's exclusive distributor in the European Union and continue to source KS's fine products. :)

All the best,
Kava Europe

P.s. here's an example of an actual t-shirt dyed with kava:

View attachment 12337
hey, is the kava for t-shirt dyeing still the same Kava as sold by your supplier? ie: could it, theoretically, still be used for human consumption?