What's new

Kava Exploration Tour Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Bula, Forum! As some of you may know, I'm currently hopping around the south pacific, with the goal of talking to as many people in the kava industry as possible about the health and future of kava worldwide. Of course, finding some new kava sources is a goal as well- You all know how much we love introducing new kava products to the market. I'm in Fiji now, my last full day here, and it's raining cats and dogs. I'm trapped inside so I figured it would be a good time for a quick update.

My first stop was in Hawaii. Having lived on the Big Island, I still have a lot of connections there, and was happy to be able to attend the wedding of one of my best friends. Of course the whole thing was a business expense because there was quite a bit of kava talk and drinking while there. I visited a 500 acre farm growing all 13 Hawaiian kava varieties owned by a friend of mine. He's been growing for decades but only recently began heavy planting, whereas he previously just grew enough for local use. He's doing this in response to the growing popularity of kava and he has many 1-3 year old plants in the ground, along with some fully mature plants. We talked some about me possibly investing in his farm now, basically adopting some younger plants, to help with fertilization, weeding, etc. In a couple years we would have a rotating stock of Hawaiian kava.

Next stop was Fiji. After a long three flights from Kona, I had a single night in Nadi. I stopped at the Digicel counter at the airport for a local SIM card for my phone. They asked what I was doing in Fiji and I told them about my kava business. Immediately they told me that one of their co-workers grows and sells kava. This would prove to be a theme in Fiji. Everybody grows, or knows someone who grows kava, and they all want to supply overseas. Unfortunately most growers don't grow enough kava to export it, and even when they do, very few have the capability and knowledge to do so.

When I got to my destination island, Taveuni, I settled into my campground before being taken to a large kava plantation, which had been arranged in advance. I was immediately impressed with the kava and the entire, very professional operation. The family owned company had quite a bit of land and is heavily invested in the health of the community. 98% of kava on Taveuni was destroyed during Cyclone Pam, but this plantation includes some more inland crops that mostly survived. They plant in the traditional way among native plants, which is important for the health of the soil, and it makes the kava grow better. The kava they grow is amazing. It's potent, tasty, and 100% noble, as all Fiji grown kava is. Our vision for the continued viability of the kava industry meshed very well and I'm happy to say they've already begun processing our first order. They grow multiple cultivars and at first the shipments will be mixes. Over time, we plan to sell the cultivars individually for more customer choice.

Over the next couple days I spent a lot of time with locals here, talking story, especially about kava and its role in their lives. I've sat around many tanoas, and even shared some Nambawan- bringing kava as a gift is tradition in Fijian culture. Locals always ask what I'm doing in Taveuni and give me wide eyes when I tell them that I sell kava in the US. It's just so novel to them. They can't believe it when I tell them how popular it is with "Westerners" and how much we go through.

Although I've been busy here, I have sneaked a little play time in. I had an amazing two scuba dives a couple days ago, and have had some time to relax in a hammock on the beach.

I head to Samoa tomorrow where I have a meeting with a man who has been in the kava industry for years, promoting responsible practices and growing kava. If I'm not careful I'm going to finish this trip committed to a couple tons of new kava. A good problem to have, I suppose.

Stay tuned for updates.

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Very exciting update! This is the best news I've heard in years when it comes to our sacred root. Glad to hear about all these relationships you are establishing and strengthening. It will be exciting and comforting to see your influence grow in the Kava world. Can't wait to hear more about the Samoan Kavas you might be offering, because they are difficult to access as of now. And finally, some new Kava out of Hawaii!

Bula!

Last edited:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Very exciting update! This is the best news I've heard in years when it comes to our sacred root. Glad to hear about all these relationships you are establishing and strengthening. It will be exciting and comforting to see your influence grow in the Kava world. Can't wait to hear more about the Samoan Kavas you might be offering, because they are difficult to access as of now. And finally, some new Kava out of Hawaii!

Bula!
Hawaiian kava is all about cost. To care for plants on a moderate size farm will cost over $1,000/week. Also, due to growing conditions and cultivars grown, Hawaiian plants simply doesn't produce as much as kavas from Fiji and Vanuatu, in particular. Unless someone happens upon some land with some very old forgotten plants (which is common), and/or are mixing in noble kava from other islands, growing mass amounts in Hawaii is hard to justify. That's becoming less and less the case though as kava prices throughout the Pacific continue to rise.

It's really important for us, but really for the industry, to not just be randomly importing kava we deem "good" just because it felt nice when we drank it, and turned acetone yellow. There's so much more that goes into it, including community involvement, environmental responsibility, hygiene standards (which are severely lacking where most kava is processed), etc. These are things we seem to really care about when it comes to mainstream US crops, but it shouldn't be an out of sight, out of mind thing for kava just because it's obscure and coming from what feels like another world.

All that said, even if we never sell a single bag of Hawaiian Kava, I'm confident that what we're offering now, and finding for the future, is among the best kava out there, grown and processed in a way we can be proud of.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Is that $1000/week figure averaged over a whole year with planting, digging, drying and milling?

I know the cost of living and cost of labor are both high in Hawai'I but if it costs $200 for one day of weeding, maybe you should look into more effective gardening practices.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Is that $1000/week figure averaged over a whole year with planting, digging, drying and milling?

I know the cost of living and cost of labor are both high in Hawai'I but if it costs $200 for one day of weeding, maybe you should look into more effective gardening practices.
Yes, figured over the entire year. It's land, labor, equipment, fertilization, pest control, nursery care, the entire processing done in a safe and clean manner, etc. This is not a couple acres I'm talking about. It's growing plants in enough volume to support heavy retail and/or wholesale. I don't grow kava. This is information coming from multiple very experienced kava farmers. Farming a plant that doesn't mature for 4 years, then is dug up and started from scratch is costly. That's why more people don't do it. Plus your math is off. $143/day. Think simply about hourly pay for a couple field workers and you get to that figure very quickly.

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Hawaiian plants simply doesn't produce as much as kavas from Fiji and Vanuatu, in particular.
My father was lost for words when he saw the massive size kava plants grew to in Hawaii when he went there for a kava symposium in the late 90's. He briefly entertained the idea of smuggling some cuttings back to Fiji. He brought back pics of lawena the size of dinner plates. Maybe the Hawaiians harvested the very best of their stock to show off to their friends/competitors from the other kava growing Pacific nations.

Great to hear about your trip to Taveuni. Your suppliers there are top-notch. The old man is one of the original commercial kava planters on the island and has been doing it for decades. Can't go wrong with them.
$143/day.
$150 - $200 /week in Fiji. Our biggest problem is the very high risk of tropical cyclones. The Hawaiians can grow kava intensively (using mechanized ploughing/tilling, plastic mulch, artificial shade, drip irrigation, etc) but we have to stick to the old ways to keep costs down. One simply can't risk spending lots and lots of money on modern agricultural methods when on average 12 cyclones occur in our vicinity every year, with a major one hitting us every 3 yrs.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@kasa_balavu Funny. Exact opposite reaction in Fiji. I showed some growers 3 year old Hawaiian plants and they were very surprised by the smaller size. I suppose huge plants will grow that way eventually anywhere. As kava became less popular in Hawaii it's only natural that some people would stop tending plants and just allow them to grow. Apparently, on the Hamakua Coast there are some groves of massive kava plants that were planted many years ago and just left there. I'd love to be able to get my hands on those!

A bonus to farming in the traditional way is that plants are more protected from the cyclones. All the large surrounding trees and foliage act as a buffer against the winds. One of the reasons the kava was so devastated from Pam was that growers were completely clearing land to only plant kava, leaving the entire crop wide out in the open.

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Yes, figured over the entire year. It's land, labor, equipment, fertilization, pest control, nursery care, the entire processing done in a safe and clean manner, etc. This is not a couple acres I'm talking about. It's growing plants in enough volume to support heavy retail and/or wholesale. I don't grow kava. This is information coming from multiple very experienced kava farmers. Farming a plant that doesn't mature for 4 years, then is dug up and started from scratch is costly. That's why more people don't do it. Plus your math is off. $143/day. Think simply about hourly pay for a couple field workers and you get to that figure very quickly.
Thanks. Without knowing the acreage it's still hard to say how realistic that estimate is. A standard US work week is 5 days, 8 hours a day. $1000 a week is $200 a day.

You can save irrigation costs by growing somewhere with at least 70 inches of rain annually. Kava will grow fine in Puna. It's not gonna do well at all in Kona.

You can eliminate the cost of nursery starts and artificial shade by growing, for example, under established mac nut trees. If you've already got a facility with shade buildings, grow orchids and protea instead. Kava grows in the woods.

Fertilization shouldn't be an issue at all in Hawaiian soil. Disease prevention: likewise, if you're growing it in a healthy way it's not going to take a ton of chemicals. If you have a huge monoculture field sitting in direct sunlight, well... that's your problem right there.

I have a feeling that somebody just crunched the numbers for bulldozing and planting a solid field of kava and growing it as if it were an Iowa cornfield.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
The advice is unnecessary. I am not growing. The expense information came from someone who has been growing kava and other crops on the Big Island for many years. Not in Kona. Not monoculture. He is currently farming kava, so he has a solid grasp on how to do it well. He is an expert. Not just taking a guess. This information was echoed by other growers, past and present. It's also not me asking, "Hey, if I wanted to start a kava farm, how much would it cost?" The numbers are based on what his costs would be to grow enough kava on his current land for major retail and/or wholesale.

I started this thread to let people know a little about what's going on in my travels. Not for people to argue with me about the firsthand word I get from the people I meet. If you really want to talk about the best way to grow kava in Hawaii, please start a new thread so I don't have to delete this one just to start it over again. Thanks a million!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Looking forward to hearing more about these developments @Bula Kava House ! Thanks for expanding our options within the Kava marketplace. When I get back from Madagascar, I'll be sure to try out your latest offerings.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Edit: just saw your reply, BKH. I'm sure your contact has solid experience growing kava.

As for the video Kasa Balavu posted, just look at all those trees right on the edge of the field. Could be growing ginger and vanilla in there right alongside the kava.

This does raise a question, what do you do with land that's already cleared? I understand it takes a long time to re establish forest in cleared areas. It's easy to just throw up a bunch of poles and shadecloth.

I wonder if you avoid needing shadecloth from one year to the next with the right intercropping. Maybe use stuff like cordyline and banana for the first year's shade, while encouraging big trees in succession. After the first season you'd save on having to string trim all that grass, and the right intercropping could diversify your operation with other cash crops. Get some mulch and leaf litter on the ground instead of grass, and the need to irrigate will go way down, too.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Been in Samoa for a couple days now. It's really great here. The people are genuinely friendly, as I've found them to be in most pacific islands. I'm staying in Apia which is "the big city". I'd prefer to stay somewhere quieter, but in an effort to keep this a business trip it made sense to be here. The connections I have live here, so talking kava and getting out to see plantations with them is made easier by staying close by. The exporters I met here are great and have a keen interest in bringing kava back as a strong and viable cash crop. They're familiar with tudei issues, and although there have been some attempts to introduce tudei kava varieties to Samoa, they've generally been pushed away. The two kava varieties they grow here are 'Ava Lea and 'Ave La'au, but since the European bans they don't grow much. Kava in Samoa is more traditional. They don't drink it every day like they do in Fiji and Vanuatu so the amount they need for local use is low. That said, there are some mature plants if you know where to find them and who to talk to, and my contact and village chiefs are encouraging land owners to plant more. There are a lot of 1-2 year old plants now so more kava should be coming in the next few years.

Yesterday, myself, the exporter I know here, and the Fagaloa High Chief took a drive out to Fagaloa which is the main kava growing region. It surrounds a beautiful bay that we stopped to take pictures of from the mountain road above. Right when we pulled the car over I said, "Smells like kava." I looked to my left and right there I saw a small plantation of a couple hundered 1-2 year old plants. It seemed serendipitous- if we'd stopped even ten meters later we wouldn't have seen them. When we got into town we immediately saw some teenage boys pounding kava in the traditional way with heavy metal poles. I even had a go at it myself. Cool to see, but damn that would be long, hard work. These guys were pounding the kava for local sale in the 100 gram bags you see at the little shops around town. In Fagaloa we found a village elder who is something of a community spokesperson and organizer. He encourages the crop planning, arranges kava sales, etc. We talked story for a while about kava and the Samoan people. It was really a great time, though he was upset at the high chief for not calling him to tell him that I was coming. He said he would have made an 'umu, which is a traditional underground oven, if you will, where they cook pig, fish, taro, etc. for celebrations. Once I heard that a phone call would have gotten me a feast like that I was upset at the chief too, but hey he's the chief, what are you gonna say? The original plan was to see the larger plantations up the hill from the village. This would have been a long and arduous trek and although I knew that my hosts would oblige, they're older and I could tell they really didn't want to take on that mission. I said that I was happy having seen the smaller plantation on the way in, so we headed back to town.

I unfortunately have to leave tomorrow (four countries and Hawaii in five weeks is not an easy feat), so for the rest of the day I'll likely be planning my time in Tonga, though later on we plan to get a kava session going. I'll try to get some pictures up on this thread at some point. In the meantime if any of you are on Instagram, we've posted a few pictures and videos there. @bulakavahouse

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Great description...I had 4 years in Samoa and remember those 100g bags well!
Faleolupo on the north western end of Savai'i is a big growing area too, if you have more time next trip. Many of the bags sold in Apia stores are from there.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Samoa's great, I stayed on the beach in Lalomanu there right before the tsunami, you get to have communal meals with travelers from all around the world and swim in clear blue water right out front with that nice green, dense jungle growth as a back drop. I met up with other backpackers and drove around the island with them, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I also went to Fagaloa in search of giant fields of kava, but never saw any. Definitely felt like I was in another world out there though. I remember being on this narrow dirt road with no village or people in site...and then out pops a guy from the jungle, right in front me, holding a machete in his hand....He just smiled real big, greeted me and was on his way. Everyone's so friendly there, it took some time to get used to every one waving and smiling as you pass by. It could only be better if they had a nakamal scene :)

I bought my tanoa from the flea market in Apia...relatively cheap too, should have bought a few. ::tanoa::
I'm always glad to hear about people getting to experience Samoa, good on ya Juddly. Studly Juddly. ::ricky::

Last edited:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Samoa's great, I stayed on the beach in Lalomanu there right before the tsunami, you get to have communal meals with travelers from all around the world and swim in clear blue water right out front with that nice green, dense jungle growth as a back drop. I met up with other backpackers and drove around the island with them, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I also went to Fagaloa in search of giant fields of kava, but never saw any. Definitely felt like I was in another world out there though. I remember being on this narrow dirt road with no village or people in site...and then out pops a guy from the jungle, right in front me, holding a machete in his hand....He just smiled real big, greeted me and was on his way. Everyone's so friendly there, it took some time to get used to every one waving and smiling as you pass by. It could only be better if they had a nakamal scene :)

I bought my tanoa from the flea market in Apia...relative cheaply too, should have bought a few. ::tanoa::
I'm always glad to hear about people getting to experience Samoa, good on ya Juddly. Studly Juddly. ::ricky::
Yeah, I really wish I had more time. Four days isn't even close to enough. Staying on the beach instead of a hotel in Apia sounds amazing. There were some fales in Fagaloa on the beach and the village elder said that backpackers stayed there sometimes. I asked him how much they were charged and he replied, "Nothing. They just sleep there." The people are just so kind and accommodating. The giant fields are coming back. That damn European ban really set things back. It actually changed a lot about the communities and what they see as a viable business, driving many people to find work in Apia.

@nabanga There is a good amount of kava on Savaii. Most people I've met think Fagaloa is the best, but in the pacific it seems that the best kava always comes from the island of the person you're talking to.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Well, I left Samoa this morning. It's a miracle I made the early flight. They like to drink a lot more than kava in Samoa if you catch my drift. The Chief and one of my kava contacts treated me to a kava session followed by a Jim Beam session. I know, I know, we shouldn't mix kava and alcohol, and every time I do I'm reminded why it's a bad idea, but as anybody who has visited traditional kava drinking nations before knows, it's very common to indulge in both. Good news is, after a few pops I'm now considered family. We had some good drunk/rooted chats about how to make the kava industry work for everyone, especially the growers themselves, and I really feel like we're onto something. Plantation crowd funding anyone? Anyway, I promised some photos so...
This is from a kava plantation in Fiji. This particular variety is Loa Leka, which means "short black", I believe. When we start importing our new Fijian variety, it will be mostly this kava. It grows well, and is hearty so it's a very popular Fijian cultivar.
20161027_113228.jpg
This is Fagaloa Bay. Where I just happened on a small hillside plantation.
20161103_153045.jpg
This is me uglying up a beautiful photo by pretending I don't know I'm being photographed
20161103_153146.jpg
Here are some local boys pounding kava for local sale in Fagaloa. I posted a video on the BKH Instagram
20161103_154259.jpg
Me giving it a go.
20161103_154532.jpg
My Samoan fam that almost made me miss my flight. Not exactly a traditional kava ceremony, but it did the trick. This Fagaloa kava is absolutely amazing. One of the better tasting kavas I've ever had and a really "clean" feel
20161104_173729.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.