What's new

Kava farming

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Yeah, I'm not a farmer, but I guess the idea is: if you cut down all those trees you could pack a lot more kava in there and grow it like an industrial crop. But that might not be sustainable, and definitely bad for the native trees and wildlife, so since Chris does have a lot of land, he can space the kava out to optimize growing conditions...
Young kava grows best in partial shade with lots of mulch... basically a forest environment. Once they grow older though, more sun is beneficial so normally one thins out the shade trees as the kava grows. By the third year they won't mind full sun and can thrive in such conditions so long as there is sufficient rainfall and low wind.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Young kava grows best in partial shade with lots of mulch... basically a forest environment. Once they grow older though, more sun is beneficial so normally one thins out the shade trees as the kava grows. By the third year they won't mind full sun and can thrive in such conditions so long as there is sufficient rainfall and low wind.
Yup in Eua the traditional way to grow in a new lot is to burn the trees first to kill it, then plant kalo and Kava together for the first year. The Kalo helps keep weeds away from the young plants. The dead trees provide the partial shade. Older Kava fields will look wide open with a few old dead trees remaining as they were burned a longer time ago. With such little land on these islands it is an issue to think about....you can never grow enough Kava but at the same time you want to protect native rainforests that house native animals like the Koki Parrot.
IMG_7700.JPG.jpeg

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yes, Mauna Loa is the biggest land mass on earth and growing, plenty of room to farm Kava. Tonga on the other hand is the ,smallest in terms of land mass, Kava growing nation. When you're limited in space and resources you have to get creative. Another reason IMO the Tongans were the most technologically advanced country back in the day, they were forced to be. The way we plant Kava in Tonga is very different than Hawaii, the cultivating Kava farming techniques passed down from my grandfather we're engineered over time to maximize yield from every Kava plant which makes sense when the island you are living on is only 30 sq / miles View attachment 8063
To put that in perspective, that is roughly the same size as the near-Earth asteroid 1036 Ganymed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1036_Ganymed