What's new

Member Soapbox Kava Flavour: for those who love it

How do you stand on the flavour of kava?

• I loved it from day one

• I love it now but at first I was like blech to the yech

• I have hated it, but I can't help myself, I drink it, anyway. I hate it. But I love it. But I hate i

• It's so awful I can't bring myself to drink kava, or I had to quit, and just because of that awful t

Results are only viewable after voting.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
OK, I know we are a weird and twisted little minority, but Lebot had a whole chapter on considerations of flavour, especially in decisions about which variants of which varieties to perpetuate.

Seems there are some folks who like the taste of kava and some who don't. Does it affect our enjoyment? And how did it happen, that we came to love something that on the surface seems undrinkable, to the uninitiated, and to many of the initiated, even after years of regular shelling.

And what are the factors that make some kava taste better than others?

And finally, could you imagine a kava that tasted so good you would happily drink it as a beverage even if it had no effects?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
To be more specific, yes, kava's flavor has grown on me during the past three years. But not equally for all types. Today I will start in at about 3pm with Kava Vinaka Waka...which tastes great. And conclude about 8pm with Kava Supreme...which is not as great tasting. Not sure which factors make it taste the best. I guess that, in the case of this waka, it is less intense overall. But it also seems to have a UFO, an Unidentified Flavanoid Object, in its taste repertoire that I like. Finally, can I imagine a kava so tasty that I would drink even with no effects? I don't think so.

nashfire

Stay Rooted
Only been drinking kava since March but the taste has grown on me. The super bitter taste if I use hot water and don't wait to cool it can get me still though! And freezer maka grog is sweeter so ...yum!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Only been drinking kava since March but the taste has grown on me. The super bitter taste if I use hot water and don't wait to cool it can get me still though! And freezer maka grog is sweeter so ...yum!
yeah, that's what I found, or rather, it happened almost overnight, about 8 months after I started drinking kava. All of a sudden I liked it, went from hating it to loving it with no intervening stage. Now it's a big part of my enjoyment of grog.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I’ve always held the view that we start associating the taste with the effects that we are familiar with over time. Couldn’t stand the taste initially, now I generally enjoy it. Never chased Kava with anything, nothing wrong with it though. If I did it would have probably helped exponentially at the beginning of my journey.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I've been lucky I think. Many of the kavas I'm currently drinking plus the ones I've had in the past have been very mild in taste. They have that signature kava taste that can make the initiated gag but the numbing of the tongue and throat makes it a lot easier to chug.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
In general I don't mind and even like some kavas. However, there are some that make my toes curl, head shutter, and my body shake like that of a dog after exiting the water. Hawaiian kavas, Tongan Kavas, are usually very tasty but some of those heavy strong Fijians can be rough. Vanuatu are somewhere in between.

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
To be more specific, yes, kava's flavor has grown on me during the past three years. But not equally for all types. Today I will start in at about 3pm with Kava Vinaka Waka...which tastes great. And conclude about 8pm with Kava Supreme...which is not as great tasting. Not sure which factors make it taste the best. I guess that, in the case of this waka, it is less intense overall. But it also seems to have a UFO, an Unidentified Flavanoid Object, in its taste repertoire that I like. Finally, can I imagine a kava so tasty that I would drink even with no effects? I don't think so.
do you eat at all during 5 hours

WaitingForGrogot

Kava Curious
At first I was pretty neutral, thinking it neither bad or good, now I quite like it. Try it with some organic turmeric mixed it. Brings out the earthy, rooty flavour!

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
do you eat at all during 5 hours
Well, as it turns out, that day I did drink (via Aluball) my first tablespoon (for my purposes 1 tbs=1 shell) at about 3pm. Then another shell at 4. Then a third shell at 5:30. Then I ate a light supper about 5:45. Then a shell at 7:30. And another about 8:45. So, five tablespoons worth of two kinds of kava for the day. The last two shells were the Supreme. Went to bed about 10:30. Slept well. Although I did get up more than once during the night...

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I sometimes gag a little at the wrong time getting it down but I don't have any dread in drinking it because I just associate it with feeling good now and I only have to deal with the worst of it as I'm initially chugging it. I can hold micro in my mouth for a good amount of time too no problem because it just numbs everything anyways.

Pakavalolo

Kava Curious
By the time I tried Kava my first time, my palate was already used to bitter, earthy, natural flavors so I had no issue with it at all and even savored the taste a bit even on my first sip. I grew up eating roots like Jicama all the time, and Kava reminded me of that a bit. I actually find that typical "western palate" foods are too sweet, salty, or greasy for my liking. I've had more drinks from Starbucks that I didn't like than I have had Kava's I didn't like.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
The taste is honestly horrifying. I love the Kava Candies for that reason. If I could safely get Kava from the same effects as medium grand traditional prep inside of a bottle that tasted like a Heineken I would drink imbibe in that much easier lol.

Transcent

Kava saved my life
I didn't hate it. But I didn't exactly care for it either. Its an acquired tast. Very earthy, like coffee. I didn't used to enjoy the tast of coffee but now I love it. Even the aroma gets me that cozy content feeling. Kava is no exception. I used to hate the tast of beer, but after my first buzz all of a sudden "oh beeerss goooood" lol although I don't drink anymore, beer had become and still is the tastiest beverage I have ever partaken of. So I often wonder if its the psychological effects that make the brain say "this is delicious" rather than the actual tast.

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
yeah, that's what I found, or rather, it happened almost overnight, about 8 months after I started drinking kava. All of a sudden I liked it, went from hating it to loving it with no intervening stage. Now it's a big part of my enjoyment of grog.
when you shell most of the day is there any snacks of food or not til your done shelling

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
When I first had kava I didn't know what to think of the taste. 3-4 years ago. Just in the past few months I've finally started affirming that I've "acquired" the taste for kava. At first I could never get past the bitterness and earthy aroma of the roots, now I detect flowery notes all over.

When I drink kava, now depending on the strain, I'm tasting sweetness. Floral tones. Also star anise/black licorice. The floweryness comes off my breath after too. There are also flavors I cannot describe. That's a huge benefactor of kava, its ethereal flavors to balance the earthy. Are my lips hot? Cold? Numb? Overstimulated? I consider those effects to be a "flavor" and I like it simply because of how unique it is compared to all the other available beverages out there.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I still can't stand the taste.....peppery dirt all the way.
But I love the effects and the fact that it allows me to cut way back on my alcohol intake, especially during the week.
Better sleep (quality/quantity) better me.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
When I first had kava I didn't know what to think of the taste. 3-4 years ago. Just in the past few months I've finally started affirming that I've "acquired" the taste for kava. At first I could never get past the bitterness and earthy aroma of the roots, now I detect flowery notes all over.

When I drink kava, now depending on the strain, I'm tasting sweetness. Floral tones. Also star anise/black licorice. The floweryness comes off my breath after too. There are also flavors I cannot describe. That's a huge benefactor of kava, its ethereal flavors to balance the earthy. Are my lips hot? Cold? Numb? Overstimulated? I consider those effects to be a "flavor" and I like it simply because of how unique it is compared to all the other available beverages out there.
yup, and the freezer/mongrel grog is even more flowery