What's new

kava food recipes

cosmic sky

Kava Curious
Anyone have good kava food recipes? I was reading that people have made kava brownies, cookies, chocolate, etc. Vegan recipes preferred : )

I have yet to try kava powder or most of these things. I've tried some weak powder capsules yrs ago, some yogi tea (but it was a mix of kava n many other herbs), n an extract that contained alcohol. I can't use anything with alcohol, makes me ill. I'm just recently trying gaia herb capsules n they work great. I would love to try some desserts, that kava candy n chocolate that's out.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I saw a recipe for 'fish filet with a kava crust' on a menu in Port Vila a few years ago, but compared to a few shells of kava without the fish it didn't appeal much.
You'd be better off trying a batch of traditional prepared kava from powder as your reference point if you haven't had it before (y).

blindy107

Kava Lover
I have had no luck with it myself. I've attempted a few sweet treats to no avail. Kava is just too strange of a taste and too weak by volume to make it worthwhile in my experience. I have yet to try with instant kava though. Could be the ticket though.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried so many things to try and get rid of the taste. It's just not going to happen, man. It tastes like bleached dirt and it'll make anything you cook/conjure up taste like bleached dirt. :-(

This is why I'm always so intrigued about going to a kava bar and trying one of their frilly drinks. I'm really curious if they're actually able to quell the taste enough to enjoy a drink.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
This is why I'm always so intrigued about going to a kava bar and trying one of their frilly drinks. I'm really curious if they're actually able to quell the taste enough to enjoy a drink.
I suspect if they are it's probably because they are made pretty weak, although I think you can make a decent fufu drink with micronized/instant. But powdered root, there's nothing for it.

It's kinda like ice-9 from Cat's Cradle, except instead of turning the water to ice-9 it just makes it taste bad no matter what else is ontained.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The Kava Candies from Ozia are supposed to be good. I haven't tried them myself.
If you really want to prepare a food with kava, I would suggest adding lemon juice as an ingredient; the citric acid will neutralize some of the taste. I would not recommend baking or frying, though, as that could cause the kavalactones to evaporate. So basically, you can make "lemonade" with it, but brownies or something.. I don't know--maybe non-bake lemon bars?

Kava Kava R us

\Bula/ As another shell goes down!
Kava Vendor
You could probably dissolve some kava co2 extract/pure kava oil into butter, coconut oil, olive oil, honey etc and go from there. Low heat would be best while blending them. Go from there and let us know how it goes if you try it.
Kava honey butter sound pretty good right now!