What's new

Kava For Insomnia

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forums. Just a quick background:

I've had insomnia for about 17 years, and have been on prescriptions for the last 12 years. I have been slowly working on getting off all my medication - and have been introducing kava to my sleep routine. I've had some success so far and am looking to try other suggestions. I'm a member over on the reddit forums and thought i'd also post here to get more replies.

I am officially off of Ativan entirely (as of May 2017) and will be working on getting off Amitriptyline over the next 6 months.

If anyone has any additional recommendations for other strong/heavy sedative Kava i would love to hear your opinion, before I order more. I have found the 11 year Waka to work the most consistently for me, followed by Boronguru and Nene.

I did some searching before posting but want to hear other's opinions directly in regards to sleep. Thank you for reading.

Here is what I have now tried in total and a review of what has worked best for me so far ->

• GHK - Nene Instant
  • GHK - Nene - Medium Grind <- works best
  • GHK - Hiwa - Medium Grind <- works well
  • Bula Kava House - 11 Year Waka - Micronized <- works best
  • Kalm With Kava - Borogu - Micronized
  • Kalm With Kava - Boronguru - Medium Grind <- works best
  • Bula Kava House - Nambawan
  • Kavafied - Kava Supreme - Medium Grind
  • KavaKava Candy - surprisingly relaxing for me but not enough to put me to sleep

Please post additional recommendations to try for sleep. I will buy, test for 12+ days and provide feedback/review for all who have sleep issues.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Everyone responds slightly differently to different kava but the absolute best kava for sleep for me is bkh 11 yr waka micro. Works really well.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Hi @ka0s_905 ,

I always tell people that Kava is great for insomnia, but that it might not work right away. For me, it's only good for insomnia if I start drinking it 5 or 6 hours before I go to sleep. It rests my mind, allows my body to relax, and helps me fall asleep without racing thoughts.

I would suggest, of all things, a Podcast called "Sleep With Me" to help with your insomnia. It's a weird, yet beautiful, Podcast where this guy tells these meandering, meaningless stories that lull you to sleep.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Hi @ka0s_905 ,

I always tell people that Kava is great for insomnia, but that it might not work right away. For me, it's only good for insomnia if I start drinking it 5 or 6 hours before I go to sleep. It rests my mind, allows my body to relax, and helps me fall asleep without racing thoughts.

I would suggest, of all things, a Podcast called "Sleep With Me" to help with your insomnia. It's a weird, yet beautiful, Podcast where this guy tells these meandering, meaningless stories that lull you to sleep.
I totally agree with everything! Even the great sleep inducer, Nene, never worked for me no matter what time I drank it!

After reading your other comment about the Sleep With Me podcast I had to listen to it! Its awesome! I start off listening, and laughing a little, and gradually drift off into a beautiful sleep. I don't think I've heard the end of one podcast yet!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I totally agree with everything! Even the great sleep inducer, Nene, never worked for me no matter what time I drank it!

After reading your other comment about the Sleep With Me podcast I had to listen to it! Its awesome! I start off listening, and laughing a little, and gradually drift off into a beautiful sleep. I don't think I've heard the end of one podcast yet!
Wow! I am soooo happy to hear this. I literally talk about this Podcast all the time with people. It's so bizarre, but it's the most effective sleep aid I have ever used - hands down. "Are you up all night tossing and turning?" The host's voice, and his weird pleasant stuttering and pregnant pauses are just so relaxing. And the more you try to follow the stories the more your mind vibrates into this dream world, and then it's just perfect sleep

D

Deleted User01

I would also experiment with taking it late in the afternoon vs late at night. I think I sleep good because I take mine early and my nighttime, I'm worn out by both kava and work. The theory is that it's tough to go to bed when you still got a buzz on.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It's a weird, yet beautiful, Podcast where this guy tells these meandering, meaningless stories that lull you to sleep.
That's it! That explains it. That's why I always fall asleep after the last section of your reviews :)

D

Deleted User01

That's it! That explains it. That's why I always fall asleep after the last section of your reviews :)
You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch .... :LOL: I guess any boring audio book would also fit the bill.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch .... :LOL: I guess any boring audio book would also fit the bill.
Oh no, you misunderstand me... it's always far from boring... I always enjoy watching someone supremely "relaxed" on good strong kava try and explain just what the heck is going on :)

D

Deleted User01

Oh no, you misunderstand me... it's always far from boring... I always enjoy watching someone supremely "relaxed" on good strong kava try and explain just what the heck is going on :)
Oh, like watching Stoner TV hosted by Tommy Chong (of Cheech and Chon fame). Yeah, that could really put you to sleep.
"Yeah man, this kava is really, really ... huh, what did the producer say? Dang, I lost my chain of thought. Let me start over and over and over ....

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Oh, like watching Stoner TV hosted by Tommy Chong (of Cheech and Chon fame). Yeah, that could really put you to sleep.
"Yeah man, this kava is really, really ... huh, what did the producer say? Dang, I lost my chain of thought. Let me start over and over and over ....
Yes. There's a classic moment one time where he gets lost for words and just laughs until he can get it together... classic stuff. Hence meandering and meaningless stories sending people to sleep... it wasn't an insult at all really, more a tribute ;-)

D

Deleted User01

Yes, dats the ticket ... it was a tribute. Whew! :whistle: Oh, I know, it was a tribute done as a roast. Yeah, a roast tribute ..::uhhuhhz::

S

Summer

@Kavasseur

So I tried the podcast last night and it really does help those of us who find it hard to focus on anything or who focus on negative things, etc. In fact I kind of went into it expecting it not to work but hoping it would. It was wild, weird, and I'm not really sure what else. I am going to use it again tonight.

I had never heard of this before you mentioned it, thanks for the recommendation!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
So happy that it worked for you as well! I've actually never recommended it without hearing positive feedback. It's like a magic trick.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
Thank you everyone for your time and responses. I bought some Kalm With Kava Borogu to try out - based on someone elses recommendations. I will also order "bkh 11 yr waka micro" next to try as well. I'll give the podcast a listen too. These will be the first micro Kava i have ordered, as Nene/Hiwa i just did the traditional root.

The slider is interesting. If i was to pay attention to that, I should try next:

BKH Koniak
BKH Pana'ewa
Kava King Kava Dark Chocolate
Luna Kava Borogu
Noble Kava Borogu (Boroguru) Maewo Island

Anyone have any comments on those above? Any i should try first or avoid? I realize results may vary, which is why I am trying out most of these to find out which works best, then I will buy that more often.

Also, how are the "body vs mind" bar determined exactly? Just curious.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
BKH Koniak
This kava is no longer available.

BKH Pana'ewa
I think you mean GHK (Gourmet Hawaiian Kava) :)

Kava King Kava Dark Chocolate
It may be sedative, but the amount of kava in one chocolate bar is far far from what you'd normally get in a kava session. Also it could get expensive quickly.

Luna Kava Borogu
Has shut down operations recently unfortunately. This reminds me that I need to do some cleanup on our list.

Noble Kava Borogu (Boroguru) Maewo Island
I haven't heard much from anyone purchasing from Noble Kava in a good while, but you could be that person for us.

Anyone have any comments on those above? Any i should try first or avoid? I realize results may vary, which is why I am trying out most of these to find out which works best, then I will buy that more often.
Basically get yourself enough of each kava you try to give it a go for at least 3 days in a row. I find that I can really get a good feeling for a kava in three days.

Also, how are the "body vs mind" bar determined exactly? Just curious.
Mind weighted kavas tend to have higher concentrations of kavain, which can give a consumer the heady feeling. I explain it as a marked difference in your field of vision and the way you relate to it. Spaces suddenly feels larger. It's more uppity, less sedative. Still anxiety and stress relieving, just less sleepy.

Body weighted kavas are less uppity and just tend to cause muscle melting relaxation. They're strains like boroguru which is my bread and butter. I drink kava to relax and laze around.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
These are the types I've tried so far. For me the Hiwa and 11 yr waka seemed to work best but I am looking for other suggestions. Leaning on the most heavy side if possible. Thanks for reading. I've read the guides above but would appreciate more feedback from others. Thank you :)

• GHK - Nene Instant
  • GHK - Nene - Medium Grind
  • GHK - Hiwa - Medium Grind
  • Bula Kava House - 11 Year Waka - Micronized
  • Kalm With Kava - Borogu - Micronized
  • Bula Kava House - Nambawan