What's new

Kava for nerve and muscle pain/spasms

Texaskava

Hi guys, I'm brand new to kava and don't know much. I have Tourette's syndrome and have been trying to find things to reduce my tics. (Tourette's syndrome is a neurological disorder that causes unwanted movements and vocalizations called tics). I have a very bad Neck cracking/shoulder jerking tic that causes a lot of muscle and nerve pain and spasm. The pain and spasming cause the tics to get worse, which of course causes more pain and spasming, and so on. Another person with TS suggested I try kava. I recently tried a kava tincture from Kona Kava farm, Kava Tincture Plus. It worked pretty well, but a serving size is 2 droppers full. The whole container only has 15 servings. Which is pretty expensive for 20$ a bottle. I'm wondering if there are any kava root/blend strains that I can get a little bit more bang for my buck with, that will accomplish the same thing? Basically, has anyone found a specifc kava blend, or other kava product (ie, paste, tincture, etc) that is effective at reducing nerve and muscle pain/spasm and doesn't make you too drowsy, which is reasonably priced? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Texaskava
Welcome!

It sounds like you're in need of some kava that has some potency behind it that may actually last a bit longer.

Since you're new, I would suggest instant kavas, or flavored prepared kava drinks.

Check out these guys, they're new and have a product that is supposed to be quite tasty and effective

You may want to give kalm with kava's extract drink a try to see if it works for you.
https://kalmwithkava.com/shop/kalm-with-kava-concentrate/ (I suggest the guava)

Also you can check this spreadsheet for which vendors have instant kavas available at the moment.

If you find it works for you really well I would then suggest looking into traditional prep kava w/ medium grind kava powder. Much more cost effective and more effective overall.

Last edited:

Texaskava

@Texaskava
Welcome!

It sounds like you're in need of some kava that has some potency behind it that may actually last a bit longer.

Since you're new, I would suggest instant kavas, or flavored prepared kava drinks.

Check out these guys, they're new and have a product that is supposed to be quite tasty and effective

You may want to give kalm with kava's extract drink a try to see if it works for you.
https://kalmwithkava.com/shop/kalm-with-kava-concentrate/ (I suggest the guava)

Also you can check this spreadsheet for which vendors have instant kavas available at the moment.

If you find it works for you really well I would then suggest looking into traditional prep kava w/ medium grind kava powder. Much more cost effective and more effective overall.
Ok thank you! I'm looking at trying some instant kava from kalm with kava. Are there any strains that you know of which help with muscle and nerve pain specifically? Or will pretty much all strains do that?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ok thank you! I'm looking at trying some instant kava from kalm with kava. Are there any strains that you know of which help with muscle and nerve pain specifically? Or will pretty much all strains do that?
They all have some degree of muscle relaxing properties, however borogu and vula waka would be the better ones for muscle relaxation. The one thing about Kalm with Kava's instant is that it's not true instant. It's what the industry knows as "micronized" kava. While this is fantastic in terms of the kava effects they can bring, it can bring on the standard kava effects such as dry skin much more quickly than other products.

If you start with micronized I would suggest looking into medium grind kavas as soon as you start seeing the effects you find beneficial. Micronized is more of a way of "opening the door" to kava instead of being a long term consumption option (in my opinion)

Texaskava

They all have some degree of muscle relaxing properties, however borogu and vula waka would be the better ones for muscle relaxation. The one thing about Kalm with Kava's instant is that it's not true instant. It's what the industry knows as "micronized" kava. While this is fantastic in terms of the kava effects they can bring, it can bring on the standard kava effects such as dry skin much more quickly than other products.

If you start with micronized I would suggest looking into medium grind kavas as soon as you start seeing the effects you find beneficial. Micronized is more of a way of "opening the door" to kava instead of being a long term consumption option (in my opinion)
Ok, very good to know. Thank you!!

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Hey, I don't have the same condition(s) but I do have nerve problems and bad muscular pain from other conditions. I've started drinking Kava and I'm definitely seeing good results with it.

I've found that a heavy Kava like Nakamal at Homes Stone for example is very beneficial for muscle pain. I notice that nerve pain is reduced also when using it.

Good luck mate!

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
I wonder why they named it Stone kava maybe because it makes you kinda feel like your muscles are made of stone ha ha anyway great kava for lrss pain it works for me hope that helps

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe try a balanced Kava, like Borogu from KWK like someone Kapmcrunk mentioned. It might cover a larger variety of issues, including neurological and muscle tension. This way you might get a broader picture of Kava. Then if you feel like if you could do well with a little more sedation or energy you can go for a heavier or headier Kava. I dont drink heavy kava, but it seems like it is a stronger muscle relaxant than heady or balanced varieties. Best of luck, and dont give up if one strain doesnt work perfectly for you

Texaskava

Maybe try a balanced Kava, like Borogu from KWK like someone Kapmcrunk mentioned. It might cover a larger variety of issues, including neurological and muscle tension. This way you might get a broader picture of Kava. Then if you feel like if you could do well with a little more sedation or energy you can go for a heavier or headier Kava. I dont drink heavy kava, but it seems like it is a stronger muscle relaxant than heady or balanced varieties. Best of luck, and dont give up if one strain doesnt work perfectly for you
Ok thank you!

Texaskava

Thanks so much for the replies everybody. I've just ordered 4 strains of instant micronized kava from kalm with kava, the orange flavored instant kava from kavakwik, and a resupply of the kava tincture plus, kava tincture max, and kava paste from kona kava farm. If I remember I will report back in a few weeks with my results!

Jari85

Kava Curious
Hey
Here another kava drinker who has tourettes
I use instant kava And i have been pleasent
Kaveurope was the good vendor where i bought my package
Have a great with kava And good luck ☺

Jari85

Kava Curious
Hi guys, I'm brand new to kava and don't know much. I have Tourette's syndrome and have been trying to find things to reduce my tics. (Tourette's syndrome is a neurological disorder that causes unwanted movements and vocalizations called tics). I have a very bad Neck cracking/shoulder jerking tic that causes a lot of muscle and nerve pain and spasm. The pain and spasming cause the tics to get worse, which of course causes more pain and spasming, and so on. Another person with TS suggested I try kava. I recently tried a kava tincture from Kona Kava farm, Kava Tincture Plus. It worked pretty well, but a serving size is 2 droppers full. The whole container only has 15 servings. Which is pretty expensive for 20$ a bottle. I'm wondering if there are any kava root/blend strains that I can get a little bit more bang for my buck with, that will accomplish the same thing? Basically, has anyone found a specifc kava blend, or other kava product (ie, paste, tincture, etc) that is effective at reducing nerve and muscle pain/spasm and doesn't make you too drowsy, which is reasonably priced? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Hey i have tourette too
Im using kava europes tradional kava And it have been a lot benefits
Good luck ☺

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
For nerve pain (neurological pain) there is a combination that works according to scientific literature.
That comprises:
1) 1000 mg (one gram) of Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR)
2) 600 mg alpha-lipoic acid (ALA)
1/day
Side effects: 15% people get diarrhea (test it in comfortable conditions).
Effect: -20% neural pain after a course of 1 month that stays, no need to use permanently or for prolonged periods.
Comparison to pharmaceuticals: No psychoactive or neural side effects that characterize amitriptylin, gabapentin, tramadol, carbamazepine). Neural effects are positive, if any (does not cure alzheimer but the effects were positive in an animal study). Not addictive. No cognitive impairment. This combination has been tested against neurodegenerative diseases, the effect is nothing to write home about but animal studies indicate a mild positive effect rather than negative.
I have researched the subject well and recommend this combination for my patients.
Rationale: this combination has been promising in human studies of ischiadica, nerve compression, HIV neuropathy and diabetic neuropathy so there is a good chance that this cocktail calms down your neural pain also - to a degree that has been approximately 20% or reduction (i.e. a VAS 6/10 pain would become a 5/10 pain that is nothing to scoff at considering how difficult the neuropathic pain is to treat).
Further reading: google scholar [acetyl-L-carnitine alpha-lipoic acid neuropathic pain]

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I have no experience about kava and pain.
It did not help against headache.
Haven't had any other pain of significant duration during the time I have been using kava kava