What's new

Kava for Noobs

YourOlePalAl

Kava Curious
Hello, all, I am here to ask a question about the best Kava for beginners to have. I'm definitely not a beginner and have been enjoying the grog for about a half year, but my girlfriend and brother are. I ordered some Koniak back at the beginning of the summer (I am NOT trying to stir that pot some more) and while it was potent, I found that it caused some nausea and uncomfortable feelings before I got the good vibes. I fed it to my girlfriend (I know, not a good idea, but I figured it would kill off the RT faster [it did]) and she actually got floored by it. So we've finished it off together and got mild nausea fairly often. I've never had any nausea except for one night of 12 shots (oh daddy, what a night), so I just think it's not the strain for me, and definitely not for her. The effects were great, one shot gave me a goofy grin, but also a tummy ache.:sick: My brother is a whole different story. He has a WEAK stomach (collagenous gastritis is a bitch!) and he couldn't even handle the taste of a chocolate milk/kava combo. So I need something mild on the estomago and easy on the boca for him. Any recommendations for both of these characters? Sorry for the long post.
tl;dr: need kava mild on tummy and tongue:rolleyes:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
gourmet Hawaiian kava's boroguru although still strong has (to me) the mildest taste of any vanuatu kava. Never have any nausea, although I think my stomach lining is about 40% kavalactones by weight at this point.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well first off
wellcome.jpg
to the Kava forums. You could always try Kalm. That stuff goes down like Gatorade. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome aboard!

Well first off I would recommend consuming alongside Reed's Extra Strength Ginger Beer (or something else with a fair amount of ginger). Excellent nausea treatment with no side effects to speak of.

First off, how are you straining it? You could try running it through a strainer twice or so on to reduce sediment.

Other than that: Kalm with Kava. For powdered root and instant, stick to strains lower in double bonded kavalactones (those with chemotypes beginning with 4 or 6). You could also try one of our many fruity drink recipes, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend instant in place of micronized.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I haven't tried GHK Boroguru yet, but it sounds like a winner in the strength-vs-flavor department.
I have somewhat of a fucked up stomach to start with, so I'm very in tune with the nausea and bloating kava can give.
My favorites are often harder on the gut, unfortunately. The best I've personally had in terms of strength, length and pleasantness with minimal (but not zero) stomach discomfort was GHK Mahakea micronized or med. grind.
But, the absolute easiest to drink (imo), is KavaBoy's Tongan Kava. Light on flavor, light on the stomach. It comes at a cost though, it's effects are milder, very one sided and they fade quicker. But I really loved it.
Other kava's in that same category usually start with a chemotype 463xxx, a few Hawaiian one's have it. I had Mo'i in the past that was a lot like it...and sometimes Kava By Rex's Tongan Pride is similar.

Last edited:

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I would say double or triple strain it, if it's medium grind, that works for me. You could also do micronized. The Pana Ewa was very easy on the stomach, even without straining, but unfortunately the Mahakea seems like it might be a bit of a fighter.

Also, don't go overboard with the fasting. If I don't eat, belly full of kava or not, I get an upset stomach.

Roaddogs Wife

Kava Curious
Hey You all, just wanted to say hello, and let yea know I'm still around. Had a death in the family, so been crazy around here, but still think of all of you guys. ::awesomesmiles:: When things get more situated, I will be one here more. Just did my fancy tea Kava for the night. Much love Roaddog's Wife....::yay2::