What's new

Kava gelcaps

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Thought I'd share my putting kava in gelcaps experience. I bought a bunch of size 00 capsules and a capsule making machine off of amazon, whole setup was like $30 I think, and capped some of Chris's excellent Hiwa micronized in there.

It works absolutely fine, but it does take a bit longer to kick in (gelcaps have to dissolve I guess) and results in peppery burps (for some reason normal kava doesn't give me peppery burps at all, I guess because there's a ton fo water with it).

Anyway, good option for potent micronized or instant if you don't want to drink it.

D

Deleted User01

Kavadude, that was a good idea. Another tool in your Road Warrior Toolkit. So I guess that replaces your Metamucil Capsules?:ROFLMAO:

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Oh yeh that's a good idea. The burp effect reminds me of when I used to use a lot of St Johns Wort gell caps. That, however, was a mealy, miserable. burning sensation when burping. I'd take pepper any day over that mess.

On that note, it may be that there's not enough liquid in your system to break down the gel and kava so you're getting some reflux type thing. I'd try downing however many caps you take then making a big mug of hot tea. I bet that would kick in the caps a lot sooner. Some herbal tea with Ginger in it would prob quell the digestive effects at least a little. when i get around to trying the micronized I may find some caps also to try it out. Convenient way for a session if mixing/straining isn't practical.

infraredz

BULA!
For those who would like to do this, there are vegetable-based capsules that don't contain gelatin and might be easier on the stomach.

I've used both for other herbs and found the vegetable caps to work better, not to mention, I'm not a fan of animal-based gelatin being a vegetarian.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Might help. The ones I have are beef gelatin capsules. I didn't even think about what sort, if any, to get, just ordered the first thing that popped up on amazon.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Might help. The ones I have are beef gelatin capsules. I didn't even think about what sort, if any, to get, just ordered the first thing that popped up on amazon.
Try pigs feet gelatin caps. They are GREAT..... (and low-carb too) :angelic

Kristy

Kava Curious
I bought the size 000 caps . You only need 6 pills to equal 1 tablespoon of micronized kava. With lots of lemon water chaser . :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I used micronized ground root from Chris, whos the only one I know that goes the extra mile and removes all the fiber from it so it doesn't upset the stomach. I wouldn't use normal root powder in gelcaps.

Alien

Kava Newbie
I used micronized ground root from Chris, whos the only one I know that goes the extra mile and removes all the fiber from it so it doesn't upset the stomach. I wouldn't use normal root powder in gelcaps.
Neither would I and most others, of course. I was just curious as to which he had used. No big deal. ;)

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Kavadude, I'm not a big fan of toss n'wash even with micronized varities. I don't like the grit and the side effects that tend to follow. i.e. dermopathy. Your post has got me thinking about trying to extract using water with one of GHK's micronized varieties. Use just enough water to dissolve kava, filter with nylon cloth, pour mixture onto pie plate, let water evaporate, cut residue with razor blade, and then cap the resulting powder. I think you could end up with some great caps with few side effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kristy

Kava Curious
What are the side effects? I've been doing it a week .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Kavadude, I'm not a big fan of toss ash even with micronized varities. I don't like the grit and the side effects that tend to follow. i.e. dermopathy. Your post has got me thinking about trying to extract using water with one of GHK's micronized varieties. Use just enough water to dissolve kava, filter with nylon cloth, pour mixture onto pie plate, let water evaporate, cut residue with razor blade, and then cap the resulting powder. I think you could end up with some great caps with few side effects.
I don't really see how that would work since kavalactones are not water soluble. Or are you saying just make a normal water extraction with the micronized and then do that?

@Kristy consuming root powder can lead to short term side effects (stomach upset) and some have postulated that it causes dermopathy faster than normal. I toss and washed quite a bit of kava when I was starting out and Chris's micronized is a lot gentler than that because he removes all the fibers from the root.

violet

Do all things with love
I've tossed a good bit of Chris's miconized root and got only a teensy bit of dryness at my eyes, and it usually doesn't take much for me to rash out with dermopathy. I've been drinking his Papa Kea with a coarse strainer, so far so good (y)

infraredz

BULA!
Just my thoughts, as I've thought of doing this before. I think it would take way too many capsules in order to get enough kava into my stomach.

00 capsules hold 500mg (0.5g) and normal amounts for tossing and washing are between 2-4 tbsp.
Considering a tablespoon of medium grind kava weighs around 7 grams, you're talking between 14 and 28 capsules.

Instant tends to weigh around 3g per teaspoon, and I would say that it takes only 3-4 teaspoons to feel good effects, so that would only be 6-12 capsules, but even that seems like a lot.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Just my thoughts, as I've thought of doing this before. I think it would take way too many capsules in order to get enough kava into my stomach.

00 capsules hold 500mg (0.5g) and normal amounts for tossing and washing are between 2-4 tbsp.
Considering a tablespoon of medium grind kava weighs around 7 grams, you're talking between 14 and 28 capsules.

Instant tends to weigh around 3g per teaspoon, and I would say that it takes only 3-4 teaspoons to feel good effects, so that would only be 6-12 capsules, but even that seems like a lot.
Yea agreed. I guess I forgot the whole reason for "why are we making capsules??"