What's new

News Article Kava gets food status

Aloha Kava

Aloha Kava Guy
Kava Vendor
Interesting. Could be good in one way (e.g., less hurdles to jump when opening bars) but if the FDA's designation changes from supplement to food, it could give red tape to other operations.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Wow, this is fantastic news. Apart from anything else, tt will be a welcome retort to those know-nothings who claim that kava is everything from an hallucinogen to a drug that causes instant cancer and/or liver failure.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Wow, this is fantastic news. Apart from anything else, tt will be a welcome retort to those know-nothings who claim that kava is everything from an hallucinogen to a drug that causes instant cancer and/or liver failure.
The process still requires specific LABELING requirements whereby "dietary supplement" changes to "food/beverage".
The specific language for labeling is not decided till late 2021.
Also regarding @Variyen "but if the FDA's designation changes from supplement to food, it could give red tape to other operations. "
That happens in any case. The fact is that "countries under NASWP such as USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and 10 Pacific Island states including Vanuatu can now trade kava products amongst themselves as a food and beverage. "
So, while the FDA was not happy about this decision, it still will go along with it.
The FDA did not think "3,000" years of safe use was enough time to justify calling kava a beverage.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I only hope that it doesn’t change quality control and quality is still priority
I can promise you anyone worth their mettle will continue to properly test everything coming in from the islands. I have friends in the spice industry who do many of the same tests as we do, so I don't think it'll change anything from a safety perspective. At least from KWK :)

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
The process still requires specific LABELING requirements whereby "dietary supplement" changes to "food/beverage".
The specific language for labeling is not decided till late 2021.
Also regarding @Variyen "but if the FDA's designation changes from supplement to food, it could give red tape to other operations. "
That happens in any case. The fact is that "countries under NASWP such as USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and 10 Pacific Island states including Vanuatu can now trade kava products amongst themselves as a food and beverage. "
So, while the FDA was not happy about this decision, it still will go along with it.
The FDA did not think "3,000" years of safe use was enough time to justify calling kava a beverage.
That would mean instant legalizing of kava in Australia? Instead of the 2 kg you might bring with you on a flight. And no more seizing by Australian customs?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
That would mean instant legalizing of kava in Australia? Instead of the 2 kg you might bring with you on a flight. And no more seizing by Australian customs?
Those details are not within my scope of knowledge. For sure though, Australia is part of the Coordinating Committee for North America and South West Pacific (CCNASWP) which has listed kava in Codex alimentarius as safe food/beverage.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Kava is already regulated as food in Australia (Food Standard Code 2.6.3.), BUT the food regulation is effectively meaningless because at the very same time the Customs prohibits imports of kava without permit. SO, once you have kava inside Australia you can drink and eat it, but importing it is illegal. In theory selling it is legal, but you have to prove you obtained it legally, which is impossible because there are no legal ways of importing it without a permit.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Those details are not within my scope of knowledge. For sure though, Australia is part of the Coordinating Committee for North America and South West Pacific (CCNASWP) which has listed kava in Codex alimentarius as safe food/beverage.
I belive it has to be turned into a law. Now they just have agreed to something.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Kava is already regulated as food in Australia (Food Standard Code 2.6.3.), BUT the food regulation is effectively meaningless because at the very same time the Customs prohibits imports of kava without permit. SO, once you have kava inside Australia you can drink and eat it, but importing it is illegal. In theory selling it is legal, but you have to prove you obtained it legally, which is impossible because there are no legal ways of importing it without a permit.
Fortunate we do not have this permiting system in the U.S. so it may well be that the Codex standards allow no real change in Australia while here it can mean a great deal.

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
It might help in Australia because the problem here is the TGA is an organisation entirely dedicated to health issues. The experts there don't care much about the right to enjoy a moderate relatively benign intoxicant or its calming effects (so long as these aren't clinical and aren't going to be made prescription). To be blunt, they seem quite alarmist. So any possibility of health issues will override all else. But kava being officially recognised as a food might just pre-empt some of this knee-jerk paternalism. But I wouldn't be that confident.