What's new

"Kava guru" site, anyone know anything about it?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
For me the easiest thing has always been---what do they drink in Vanuatu??? The farmers there grow Noble kava and Tudei kava but they only drink Noble.
The farmers in Vanuatu laugh at us when I tell them we go on these trips about drinking Tudei or not to drink it. They know, so I do what they do. I drink Noble. (y) Aloha.

Chris

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My question then, is why do they farm it? I personally don't drink it because of the way it effects me...and my skin...or lack thereof when I drink it.

D

Deleted User01

To me the whole Tudie controversy revolves around "Truth in Advertising". If your Kava is Tudie or it is spiked with tudie to give you a competitive advantage, then say so. I personally don't care for it and the Tudie Hangover. I don't care if you do it (Hedgie) because you know better and you have your reasons. KavaGuru is trying to defend Tudie because he is related to Kava.com and the vendors there DO SELL Tudie or Tudie-like Kavas. That one is a no brainer. I thought we had discussed all this KavaGuru stuff back when?? Or maybe I just had some PMs with some members. Anyway, people can try to imitate the Kava Forums or the Kavasseur but they will never get close and we will always see through their agendas.

Kapm, are we doing anything on InstaGram yet? For those who don't know, Kava Forums is always looking for new members. There is strength in numbers.

D

Deleted User01

My question then, is why do they farm it? I personally don't drink it because of the way it effects me...and my skin...or lack thereof when I drink it.
They farm it so they can mix it with their regular Kava and make it stronger. In other words, they use it to "spike" their Noble Varieties. Then people on the Forum buy it and come back and tell us about this super duper potent kava that is the best and cheapest ever. Yeah, it's the best until you test it. Then it turns out to be "Orange Crush". It's orange and it's going to crush your liver. :ROFLMAO:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Kapm, that is a very simple question with a very simple answer. I can remember in the 80ies there was never a problem with the Tudei kava, they just never grew it, it would grow wild and they left it alone, they had there Noble kava so they never thought about the Tudei kava.
Then in the mid 90ies things changed because of China and there contact in Vanuatu, there contact urged all the farmers to plant the Tudei kava because he was buying it all and sending it to China. The reason was that the Tudei kava grows faster and is not affected by all the pests and other stuff that the Noble kava has to deal with. So the farmers started to grow Tudei and Noble, right now most farmers have about half of there crops in Tudei and the other half in Noble. Remember they only drink Noble and it is against the law to sell the Tudei kava over there.

Now the contact that China had is no longer in business so the farmers are stuck with a crop of Tudei kava that they can not sell legally so what they do is they harvest and dry the Tudei kava and they mix it with the Noble kava and sell that as export, they themselves do not drink the spiked kava, they still drink only Noble kava. They are only trying to get money from there farmed kava, even if it is Tudei kava.

The problem is with the suppliers that buy the kava from the farmers, not all of them can get to where the office is that does the testing of the kava and the other problem is that even when they do test there kava, when they grab some of the kava in the batch that they just bought are they grabbing the Noble kava that is mixed in with the Tudei or are they getting the Tudei or a mix of both, we don't know. It is very possible that they grab mostly noble kava just by chance so it all checks out fine. Also remember that they test for kavalactone content and chemotype to tell if it is Tudei kava. This is not very accurate when you are using spiked kava because when they add the Tudei to the Noble kava it changes the chemotype and not in a natural way, this new chemotype could be different from anything that Dr. Lebot has classified, there are only a few chemotype groups and each different kava will fit into one of those groups. This new man made chemotype might now fit into any of the groups so that is why the colormetric test or as we call it the acetone test is so important because it looks for a part of the plant only in tudei kava and it is very accurate.
So the farmers actually do not understand that they are doing harm to there kava industry by doing this. As I said at the begining, they never had this problem in the 80ies, it was easy to get a good quality Vanuatu kava and it is very different that what everyone drinks now, because most of the kava is spiked and that does cause a stronger effect or if it is spiked too much then they get a hang over or just plain sick. This would never happen with Noble kava, not from Hawaii or Vanuatu. So the simple answer is that the farmers are just trying to hide the Tudei in with the Noble so they do not have a total loss on half there crop of kava.
Let me know if you folks have any questions on this. Aloha.

Chris

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
And that makes sense. So, I wonder if they've quit growing it, since the fallout of the industry, or if we're just consuming the very last of it. If it falls in the latter of that statement, then tudei kava should be gone simply in a matter of time.

D

Deleted User01

Chris or anyone
Kapm, that is a very simple question with a very simple answer. Chris
Chris or anyone, is it possible to have Tudie in Kava and it NOT SHOW UP on the Acetone test? How much Tudie can you put in a Noble Kava before it turns Orange? I would imagine most of the farmers are smart enough to know that the buyers are going to use the Acetone test. Unless the buyers like it spiked because it gives the customers more bang for the buck. And not to mention more hangovers, more dermopathy, and more stomach problems.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Kapmcrunk yes it is only a matter of time before the Tudei kava runs out and they start planting only Noble kava again. I am sure there will be some farmers that will still plant it and try to hide it in there kava because it is easy money because of how fast and easy it grows but that will only be a small amount of farmers doing that, kind of like here in Hawaii, they use the Isa because it grows much better and faster than the Hawaiian kava and it resists the pests and disease, and they don't care or they don't know any better.
Even now it is possible to find good farmers and suppliers in Vanuatu but it is hard. I would say that about 90-95% of the suppliers and farmers in Vanuatu are selling spiked kava.

@Deleted User01 I was able to detect the color change with only 1/5 Tudei and 4/5 Noble but with a better test it will be able to detect even smaller quantities I would think. The thing to remember is the nice pure golden color, you will not get this color with spiked kava, even if it is a low amount of Tudei in there, it would have to be like 1/32 or something like that to not really be detected I would think but then it is so little that it might not have the Tudei effects and I am just guessing at that.
Aloha.

Chris