What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Kava Hangover

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava hangovers will be the fact of the day and today’s paper covers this topic regarding Fijian school teachers. This paper is freely available to read via the link in the source.

Hangover is a ubiquitous word for a state of lasting intoxication and negative side effects which just won’t let up. In today’s society it’s mostly attributed to instances of overconsumption of alcohol. The hangover experienced by kava drinkers, while similar, has it’s marked differences. Kava hangover was described by kava drinkers as a feeling of mental and physical lethargy, poor memory recall, a general state of drowsiness and lack of motivation. Anyone who has experienced an alcohol hangover can attest that the state of being is something to avoid. Such is also the case with kava if enough is consumed. Borrowing from Troost 2006, kava can impart a hangover one would rather not experience. Troost wrote “‘nothing at all like a hangover,’’ but, on the other hand, that two days after drinking too much he ‘‘felt like I had been mugged, taken unawares, slugged from behind . . . a lingering sense that I was in a place far, far away, in a world of my own”.

In 2000, Fiji’s Ministry of Education voiced their concerns over kava hangovers in teachers, suggesting kava consumption negatively impacted productivity in the classroom.

“Many teachers in rural areas become involved in excessive yaqona consumption, with the result that they are less effective in their professional work . . . Yaqona has an ability to sap energy and support listlessness and there can be little doubt that it substantially inhibits performance of duties in non-traditional professional environments, including the civil service and teaching. [Tavola 2000:169]

Table 2 here is interesting as it gives an estimated total kavalactone intake per person in this study. These numbers far exceed any recommended dosage, but also are somewhat common for those kava drinkers which continue long into the night.

Table2Apo.jpg

This paper shows that heavily consuming kava the night before did have a statistical significance when compared to those that did not imbibe in excessive kava consumption. The results returned suggest impairment to visual memory, reaction time, short-term visual perception, visual coordination and scanning ability. While kava hangover did seem to affect processing speed, it did not affect working memory. Basically, it was seen to slow the person down, but not bring them to a point of loss of control or cloudy thinking.

Aporosa, S., & Tomlinson, M. (2014). Kava hangover and gold-standard science. Anthropologica, 56(1), 163–175. https://www.academia.edu/7187653/Kava_hangover_and_gold_standard_science

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I like the next morning effects too. Feels nothing like an alcohol hangover more like when I used to smoke a lot of bud the night before and would wake up with my mind in a blanket the next day.

Aloha Kava

Aloha Kava Guy
Kava Vendor
When this occurs for me (like today, as it happens), sometimes I find drinking a little more kava helps. I wonder if it's related to the truth/myth of waking up with an alcohol hangover and drinking a little more to boost up the neurotransmitters you blew out the night prior. Perhaps anyone with GABA supplements can test out the theory ;)

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
In my experience "the dose makes the poison". When I drink 30-50g of single cultivar powders and go to sleep at a reasonable hour, I wake up fresh and ready for action. When I drink more, things are def slower the next day, even with ample sleep. And when you drink more on a regular basis, it just kind of accumulates and the next day effect is amplified.
But I don't think anyone would get any kind of hangover after drinking 30-40g of clean kava and getting solid 7-8 hours of sleep.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I feel like I suffer more from this than most. When I drink kava, I always wake up feeling like crap and it takes about half of the day to wear off.... That's why I take frequent breaks. Unfortunately with my work schedule, "going to sleep at a reasonable hour" doesn't exist, so that may have something to do with it.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
The kava fog is like my cue that I'm blowing through my kava too fast to really enjoy every shell like I'd prefer to. If there's one component I'd problemetize a bit just for the sake of something to talk about it would be the association with profession and performance. Take that same chart and replace bilos with hours of television. Replace teacher or civil servant with whatever you do for a living.

jonaspmd

found kava
My working theory is that certain kavalactones (don't know which) at doses high enough disrupt REM, non-REM sleep pattern. You end up more in REM phase or superficial sleep. Not enough deep sleep causes sleep deprivation symptoms. If you would look at sleep deprivation definition, the symptoms overlap with kava lethargy a lot, in my opinion.

There would be two ways to test that. Use some non-REM sleep promoting supplements or don't sleep for 48 hours and compare if you feel similar to kava "hangover".

I was about to test it, but stopped overdosing kava. I think I have a scientific reason now to increase the dose :D

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
I know the tanoa was hit hard when working out the next morning sounds like climbing everest and my urine is dark lemonade even if i drink a dam liter:cool: of water