What's new

Kava hangover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Hey @RobbW thanks for your thoughts and giving us a try! It definitely sounds like RT tolerance is in play for you along with some nausea issues from the prep. Here's some quick thoughts:

25g isn't a whole lot especially if spread throughout an entire day. I believe from the kava census 50g was the most popular amount used and this is usually in 3-4 hour period.

Strainers and nut milk bags are definitely ideal for prep but really you can use alot of household things to get by as well that would be better off than a metal strainer. Tea cloths work great, women's pantyhose, even an old shirt works good.

Make sure to knead the heck out of it. Tongan kavas are ground pretty finely and take more kneading than coarse ground kava to give up the goods (even if you use the blender method). Your resulting kava liquid should be very milky looking and have a nice sheen across the top.

I'd recommend to keep it up as your able and it becomes pretty clear when the RT has passed. There's a lot of great posts on here of others experience with it.

D

Deleted User01

@RobbW, on the strainer thing. I use a fine mess grain bag that they sell at the home brew store. Just in case you have a home brew store. Just tell them you want the finest nylon mess and then decide on the size. Obviously you have a greater chance of having a home brew store than a Kava Accessory Store.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
For those who are concerned about dyes, glue etc, you may want to buy something like this (no idea why GMOs could be a problem when it comes to a strainer bag, but maybe some people feel that no-GMO is like a secular version of kosher..):

il_570xN.821446903_5dre.jpg

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
For those who are concerned about dyes, glue etc, you may want to buy something like this (no idea why GMOs could be a problem when it comes to a strainer bag, but maybe some people feel that no-GMO is like a secular version of kosher..):

View attachment 4510
But was the cotton hand-picked by good, wholesome, hardworking americans? Were the bags handmade by the local grandmas knitting club in a little cottage by a stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.