What's new

Kava hangovers and nausea

Status
Not open for further replies.

schamberlain

Kava Curious
Hi,
I use exclusively GHK micro (have also tried medium grid from GHK and other distributors), and though I still try to like it I get nasty hangovers that last all days. Sometimes multiple days on end. Beyond that, I get stomach wrenching nausea that can sometimes make me vomit in the morning. Not a lot of kava either, 2-4 Tbsp per session. I've had two other friends swear off kava for the same reasons. My question is, people here seem to love it, but in my experience it provides bad side effects to the user, beyond just me. Maybe me and my friends are the exception to the rule, but I'm interested to hear others experience. And yes, I've tried all the nobles from all the major distributors. Doesn't make much difference. Also for reference, I have been drinking kava for about two years on and off.

Last edited:

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
Have you tried traditional straining and filtering instead of micro? It's my understanding that traditional filtering is the best way to keep fibers from hitting one's stomach. It's the only way I've ever made my kava -- I've yet to try micro actually. I believe some folks have said micro can be very hard on the stomach for some. Truth be told though, some folks do not react well to kava in general (some are allergic, etc.)

What do you mean by "hangover"? Do you perhaps mean grogginess? --- kava should never be mixed with alcohol as you may well know.

I prepare my kava with a fijian strainer from paradise kava that I've been using for a long time; it is easy to knead and makes a smooth drink, at least for me. I do not use a blender or milk. Just plain water. It only takes me a bout 15 minutes to make a batch including cleanup.

Having said that, if I already have any kind of indigestion to begin with, then kava will make it worse so I pass on kava on those bad days.

Regards

August West

Kava Enthusiast
it is imperative that I get enough calories and nutrition from breakfast and lunch to offset the afternoon/evening fast. And I have to force myself to eat dinner after kava. I can totally see how some people can have overall feelings of malaise, lethargy, and queasiness simply from lack of nutrition and dehydration. If I eat really late, and fall asleep right after, my insides feel terrible in the morning, even without kava.
I seriously think a getting enough calories is paramount, when regularly drinking kava. I feel vitamins, probiotics, and electrolytes are really important when i drink kava, because of its diuretic effects.

I mean, when I drink a bunch of coffee on an empty stomach, I get ALL of the exact same negative reactions that kava gives me. Sour stomach, nausea, peeing and pooping, lack of hunger, dry skin, chapped lips, awful headaches.

Lastly, I eat candied ginger before and during sessions. Four or five big pieces really helps. And getting a meal in before it's too late in the evening really helps.

Rishi678

Kava Curious
I get hangover and hardcore nausea and stomach pains sometimes when I drink micro. When I do traditional method much much much less side effects so I stopped using micro.

schamberlain

Kava Curious
I have used both methods, it is generally worse with micro. By hangover I mean, groggy, horrible headaches, all day headaches. Like an alcohol hangover. The stomach turning, vomity feeling can be really bad in the mornings. I hydrate well before and after, no help. Also, I don't drink alcohol anymore if that helps, certainly never with kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.