What's new

Kava has been making me very sick

Michael1011

Kava Curious
When I drink kava it isn’t the same anymore. I can’t feel any ‘mild’ effects. Instead it punches me in the face and I’m seeing double or cross eyed. I get dizzy. I get a full feeling in my stomach and I can’t keep it down. Regardless of how much food is in my stomach I get extremely rooted off just 2-3 shells.

I plan to take a 2 week break to see if this goes away. I have an enormous rt right now. It’s honestly annoying. I need to stop for awhile and start over. This is meant to help me not make me feel worse.

has anyone had this or something like this happen? Any good substitutes for the next few weeks while my raging rt comes down? Thanks

Zaphod

Kava Lover
When I drink kava it isn’t the same anymore. I can’t feel any ‘mild’ effects. Instead it punches me in the face and I’m seeing double or cross eyed. I get dizzy. I get a full feeling in my stomach and I can’t keep it down. Regardless of how much food is in my stomach I get extremely rooted off just 2-3 shells.

I plan to take a 2 week break to see if this goes away. I have an enormous rt right now. It’s honestly annoying. I need to stop for awhile and start over. This is meant to help me not make me feel worse.

has anyone had this or something like this happen? Any good substitutes for the next few weeks while my raging rt comes down? Thanks
Breaks are always warranted if your body is telling you to do so. If you give us a bit more information maybe we can help: What kind/brand of kava are you using, how much, are you taking anything else with it?

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
I had an experience recently that wasn't so good. I got some instant Hawaiian kava that only made me feel like shit. It made me feel bloated with stomach cramps and the experience was not fun at all.

I learned that when purchasing Kava, it's important to make sure it's a vendor that sells Kava only, because these vendors take the time to make sure the product is excellent quality. This instant stuff I got was from Kraken K@. I'm a K@ user and turned to Kava as an alternative.

I was hoping it was going to be good stuff because before I got a small pack of Instant Vanuatu from them and I didn't get bad effects from it. It seems that their Kava may be hit and miss when it comes to quality.

Anyways I also am dealing with RT, I felt relaxing effects from the Vanuatu maybe a couple of times, but no good effects from the Hawaiian.

What I'm going to do is order some traditional Kava and knead it in a muslin bag. I just ordered Kisa's Kava. Someone on the new members forum mentioned it as their first time and they said it's good quality and not super expensive. I'm sure that if I try Kava again making it the traditional way, I'll have a better experience.

The bottom line is if you have a bad experience with Kava, it's likely that the Kava itself is poor quality, which is why it's making you sick. Good quality Noble kava shouldn't cause those kinds of effects.

I hope this is helpful

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
As @Zaphod wrote-- it would help to know more information in order to intelligently try and advise.
Preparation with warm? hot? tap? water...how much consumed at a time and how long for spacing between ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yep, this is a strange one. Usually we see people asking why thier kava isn't working. Sounds like you may have a kava that packs too much of a wallop, but just like others have said, we need to know what kind and how much of the powder you were ingesting in order to give you some suggestions :)

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
I'm going to go out on a wild guess and say you're probably using too much micronized root, or toss and washing medium grind. That's the only way I could see the above happening.

@Michael1011 Can you outline the root you've bought, and how you've been preparing it? Straining it? Water to kava ratios?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yep, this is a strange one. Usually we see people asking why thier kava isn't working. Sounds like you may have a kava that packs too much of a wallop, but just like others have said, we need to know what kind and how much of the powder you were ingesting in order to give you some suggestions :)
Yes - it is imperative that we find out what kava packs too much of a wallop. For science of course.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yes - it is imperative that we find out what kava packs too much of a wallop. For science of course.
Oh, my God, that's disgusting! Super strong kava online? Where? Where did he post those? -Something Mac would say.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
It’s Vanuatu noble kava. I just realize it could be cannabinoids hypermisis syndrome. I don’t know how to spell sorry. Anyway what happens is a chronic pot smoker gets violently ill because weed usually controls nausea and soothe the stomach but kava irritates it. Over time weed makes your stomach more sensitive, hence the vomiting I really think this is what’s going on. OR I just need to switch kava strains for awhile

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I'm going to go out on a wild guess and say you're probably using too much micronized root, or toss and washing medium grind. That's the only way I could see the above happening.

@Michael1011 Can you outline the root you've bought, and how you've been preparing it? Straining it? Water to kava ratios?
I use about 2/3 cups of powder in a nylon. With a quart of water. Sometimes I use a full cup in 1.5 quarts of water. And if it’s a first of the day bowl I can get through it in an hour. If I’ve been drinking kava for hours, the last one for instance will usually take me 2-3 hours to finish a bowl.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
My kava consumption is heavier in the earlier part of the evening, and throughout the night I drink a shell or two and it’s ‘maintaining’ the krunk from earlier.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I use about 2/3 cups of powder in a nylon. With a quart of water. Sometimes I use a full cup in 1.5 quarts of water. And if it’s a first of the day bowl I can get through it in an hour. If I’ve been drinking kava for hours, the last one for instance will usually take me 2-3 hours to finish a bowl.
If it is a quart to 1.5 quart of tap water prepared kava beverage that you end up with and you consume in an hour that is about 8 to 12 ounces every 15 minutes.
Unless my math is wrong.
An average size coconut shell holds 5 ounces give or take at 3/4 full. 5 ounces every 15 to 20 minutes is a nice spacing.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Use something better than a nylon if you meant pantyhose. 50 micron is my favorite nylon mesh size from amazon. If the holes are too big, you're in trouble. It could be the reefer too, or lack of.