What's new

Kava Helps With Social Anxiety, yet limited duration?

Hello, im like many on here apparently who would like to know if kava would have a useful purpose for social anxiety? yet from most posts i have read, the duration of kava effects last no more than an hour, at most two. I have already ordered boroguru from BKH, but would like to hear from other social anxiety sufferers how kava helped them, thanks.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
I would argue that the euphoric properties of kava only last a couple of hours like you stated. The anxiolytic effects last much longer for me, up to 2-3 days.

Kava is probably not the best treatment for panic, but for GAD or social anxiety it seems pretty effective even the day after use.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
If you're going out, drink a couple shells before. Just make sure you can still drive! But what I would really recommend for severe social anxiety would be to get yourself a tin of Vanuatu instant green and just take 3 teaspoons with you in a baggy; if you feel anxiety, just dump it in a glass of water or whatever beverage is near by and chug it.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Kava has greatly reduce my panic attacks. It generally lasts 3-7 days after the session. YMMV. My biggest problem now is sensory overload. Kava also helps with this and generally the threshold is raised reasonably high. I know what things are likely to trigger it.
Unfortunately, I'm in a class at college that can trigger it rather easily. Notice the full length wall mirror, the loud music and motion in the video below. Sitting in a corner and not having to do anything is fine. I can look away or focus on some other thing. Being apart of the class means participating. The loud music, having to move in sync with everyone else, listen to the instructor's commands, as well as not being able to avoid looking at that mirror or the fast moving crowd around me makes my brain go (smiley: sick). Pretty much any  awkward body motion that requires a lot of coordination (ie- anything other than slow dancing, some martial arts) will throw my brain into a tail spin and you'll find me in a corner or outside staring at the empty sky until I come out of it. Sometimes I won't even make it outside, just to a wall and (smiley: sick).  (flash video)

My point is, kava will help but it's not going to magically "cure" you. YMMV though. It has greatly reduced the panic attacks for me. I generally don't have a problem sitting or standing in a huge crowd of people anymore and I don't have to put a lot of effort into hanging out with groups of more than 2 friends at a time anymore. Sensory Overload has become the thing that bothers me the most but that's more of a minor but embarrassing annoyance compared to the terrifying experience the disabling panic attacks where.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I consume Kava EVERY day, and would have to say most of the time Im not krunked "or Koned, as some have elected to call it, haha"

Just a great feeling, that is very CHI like.

And HELL YES it helps with social anxiety.

I don't have it to the point where I freeze completely up, but I do slur my words and loose confidence horribly.

Kava takes that away, people generally like me more on Kava, because I think it brings me down to there level. "Im a fast thinker"

kl.Letharia

Kava Curious
Does anyone find Ozia Kava Candies good for social anxiety? I never found Kava that helpful in the past.... but maybe I was doing it wrong. lol

kl.sakamoto

Kava Curious
re. Ozia Kava Candies for anxiety...

As a basis for comparison: my kava of choice for stress reduction is Nak@Home Fire Island instant. If I fail to have Fire Island handy, I go to a Whole Foods and pick up a bottle of Vitality Works kava pills and take 8 of them at a time. (yeah I know, pills... but they're easy to get in an emergency!) I know people with severe anxiety disorders and that's not what I have; the effect that I'm looking for is to reduce my annoyance at those small things that really shouldn't bother me but do, and when they (frequently) do they just put me in a bad mood and make me pretty unfriendly.

I've recently discovered Ozia Candies and have gone through around 3 cases of it while "building a relationship" with it. So far I've found that it makes me more sociable, i.e. willing to talk to people rather than go off and sulk. However, it doesn't seem to address an element of nervousness and irritation that my usual stress-reduction kavas do.

Of course everyone is different, and even for myself I'm still trying to figure out how to take Ozia (dosage, sublingual vs eating, timing with food and other meds, etc.) I'm still working on sensing the effect at lower dosages (i.e. 1-2 candies vs a full pack of 8). Also, I'm currently going through an unusual set of stressors which may be unfair to ask any kava to address completely. At any rate no matter how Ozia candies fit into my kava life, they're a pleasure to take!

uuku pi

Kava Enthusiast
Kava has fixed me. My cure has been different than what people generally express here. I am friendly when I go out,however I am not as engaging as I once was. This has cured my "why did I say that?" syndrome. It has now been a year (I think) for me. I have not lost my temper in so long ,it is difficult for me to recall why I ever would(lose my temper) Pity the creature who does not know what it is. Vekta I used to earn my living in rooms like you showed. I was a yoga teacher for 25 years. I would not allow music or talking while I taught. I would turn the lights down and light a candle,and if they let me, burn incense. when I was injured 4 years ago ..I had to quit. I spent a year flat on my back. It scared the poo out of me. Kava took all the pain away. I swear!!! I have just read Lebot's book and I am rereading it while I wait for an additional Kava book I just ordered on the inter-web. Also (big one here) I am now able to mow my 2 acres!!YAY ,without pain. The best thing is the ability to sit with the Kava and know myself and stop trying to be what others would like me to be. Kava taught me to just be. Just ordered some new Kava from Nakamal at home. Solomon Islands. This is a happy noble Kava. I am happy:)

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I wouldn't call Solomon a Nobel kava, but I'm glad it works for you.

(I'd call it Tudei, or at the very least tumas blong me).