What's new

Kava Is Expensive

Stonth

Kava Curious
Hello,

I am a college student, and as such I don't have much money to spare. Therefore, I have made the hard decision to stop purchasing kava. I remember a number of years ago when you could get a pound of decent kava for 25$, and the costs have finally gotten to a point where I can no longer afford something which I really enjoy :(

I didn't come here just to complain though. I wanted to ask distributors/growers if and when kava prices will likely come down. Can we ever expect kava to be as cheap as it used to be?

Thanks!

N

Noname

How about try buying cheaper kava? cheaper doesn't always mean lower quality. There are kavas out there that'll have you krunk in 3 tablespoons. And along with good preparation to extract as much kavalactones as possible I think it would work out. Yes save your money all those little things we buy here and there eventually add up. Buy kava instead lol

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
How about try buying cheaper kava? cheaper doesn't always mean lower quality. There are kavas out there that'll have you krunk in 3 tablespoons. And along with good preparation to extract as much kavalactones as possible I think it would work out. Yes save your money all those little things we buy here and there eventually add up. Buy kava instead lol
Krunk in 3 tablespoons, huh? As a krunked out mofo, which kind is this?

N

Noname

Dua na Bilo on Amazon. I'm not sure If recent batch of Dua na Bilo is strong as last. Hanakapi ai from ghk and it has free delivery

N

Noname

Blend kava with milk and water. Strain with a metal strainer the one used for cooking. That'll make a strong kava. And to make it even stronger boil the kava. That's the way to get the most out of it. And also the makas have kava in them so yea you can probably get a shell or 2 from them. Eat pizza or cheese after kava that'll help to get you krunk.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hello,

I am a college student, and as such I don't have much money to spare. Therefore, I have made the hard decision to stop purchasing kava. I remember a number of years ago when you could get a pound of decent kava for 25$, and the costs have finally gotten to a point where I can no longer afford something which I really enjoy :(

I didn't come here just to complain though. I wanted to ask distributors/growers if and when kava prices will likely come down. Can we ever expect kava to be as cheap as it used to be?

Thanks!
For your purposes, kava is expensive, so expensive you have to stop buying it. That is your reality and as such it cannot be anything other than true.

OTOH, my reality is that kava is one of the greatest bargains on the planet, and ridiculously cheap.

We're both right.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Read these threads in their entirety, especially this one:
kava-prices-discussion
and maybe this one;
price-of-kava-just-keeps-climbing

TL;DR Will kava price drop? Yes, no, maybe so.

These days, for price & convenience I just buy 1 lbs Wakacon and 1/2 lbs Kava Supreme on Amazon Prime. Mixing Kava Supreme into any weak, cheap kava (or expensive weak kava) makes it better and more effective. The same is true for Nangol Noble, but it isn't available on Amazon.

Stonth

Kava Curious
Yah, when I was home for break I tried blending and straining and was blown away. To clarify I still have ~2.2 lb of various kavas I just can't buy more for a while :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Mixing Kava Supreme into any weak, cheap kava (or expensive weak kava) makes it better and more effective. The same is true for Nangol Noble, but it isn't available on Amazon.
This is exactly what has got me through this last year. Except for a few exceptions, most of my kava orders resulted in an overnight delivery of Kava Supreme to mix them with to make them worthwhile. Nangol works just as well but with Prime shipping and the best price/effect ratio of any kava available now, it's hard not to keep turning to Supreme.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Read these threads in their entirety, especially this one:
kava-prices-discussion
and maybe this one;
price-of-kava-just-keeps-climbing

TL;DR Will kava price drop? Yes, no, maybe so.

These days, for price & convenience I just buy 1 lbs Wakacon and 1/2 lbs Kava Supreme on Amazon Prime. Mixing Kava Supreme into any weak, cheap kava (or expensive weak kava) makes it better and more effective. The same is true for Nangol Noble, but it isn't available on Amazon.
hehe, Wakacon priced me out but I still have one or two pounds lying around from back when. What gets me through now is mixing Best Fijian lawena with all kinds of cheapo kavas. Makes them taste good and be quite acceptable. Best I've found so far is 1:1 with the Tikaram's Vanuatu from Fiji Market. It is a darn good grog. You'd like it. Nice and strong. And cheap as heck.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Lol yea I use to buy Wakacon for blending and just to have around in case of emergency. With the price increase it’s just not worth it to me anymore for the quality. Nothing inherently wrong with it, just no real special effects and not very potent at all. It used to be a bargain!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
when there's a sale, you could stock up. Realkava has a pretty good waka for $45 a lb, which is a good deal. Dua na bilo vanuatu is $20 for a half lb and free shipping with prime. Bestfijikava has a weaker product but it is even cheaper.

JohnPal716

Kava Curious
That’s a great idea, blending, and as I’m a broke student too, it works for my wallet.
I was resigned to ordering Wakacon alone for months... using it alone... and throwing in something of better quality can only help. That’s no disrespect either: Wakacon serves its purpose in my life for sure. But it’s just not the same.
Stay warm folks!
John
Buffalo, NY

when there's a sale, you could stock up. Realkava has a pretty good waka for $45 a lb, which is a good deal. Dua na bilo vanuatu is $20 for a half lb and free shipping with prime. Bestfijikava has a weaker product but it is even cheaper.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I go wacky for weaker waka, wacky for weaker waka

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That’s a great idea, blending, and as I’m a broke student too, it works for my wallet.
I was resigned to ordering Wakacon alone for months... using it alone... and throwing in something of better quality can only help. That’s no disrespect either: Wakacon serves its purpose in my life for sure. But it’s just not the same.
Stay warm folks!
John
Buffalo, NY
for a poor student, and my son is one, I highly recommend you have an aluball with two balls, and some good bags. Look at blending, and the best thing around for that is the Best Fijian Lawena direct from their site. $37/lb https://www.bestfijikava.com/view_details.php?id=17

Also their Vanuatu is really quite good, IMO. Their Waka is, well, it's ok, and 1:1 with their lawena is fine for everyday use.

Next, Dua Na Bilo Vanuatu http://a.co/j90ZEvG at $36 it is a fine every day kava and can basically fill in your Samoan/Tongan gaps. I think it tastest like and is as good as the RoH Samoan which goes for $62/lb

Next there is Tikaram's kavas from the Fiji Market, all fine but the best is their Vanuatu, which as I recommended to Shakas above, makes a good strong grog 1:1 with Best Fijian lawena. Their Tongan is ok but would be disappointing if you're expecting a real Tongan style Tongan is stuff is more like a generic cheapo Vanuatu. Fine for drinking, tho, especially 1:1 with the Best Fijian lawena. https://fijimarkethawaii.com/products/vanuatu-kava

All of the above can be purchased by the half pound at the same price or very close.

Finally, this is worth buying, IMO, especially for a poor student, the Herbal Island Fiji Waka for $35/lb http://a.co/aZ6yWIW but it is piney and you really need to mix this 1:1 with BF Lawena, but it's fine.

I no longer recommend Wakacon or Mood & Mind because they have priced themselves out of the cheapo market, for me, anyway. They were ok while they were cheap. This is how it stands on 16 Jan 2018. Unless anyone has anything to add?

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
Just my two cents for peoples outside USA that have to deal with high shipping cost (and potentially custom taxes).
It might worth it to contact an ethnobotanical shop that you know the owner and ask if he's willing to do start importing TK. I have a guy at Montreal that already sells a somewhat questionable ISA Tudei for 33$ a pound. I've just contacted him and ask him to look at it after I gave some explanation for that market. He was amazed and said to call him back next week. Wait and see...