What's new

kava makes me emotional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
After a heavy session once the buzz starts wearing sometimes I feel emotional. I've had some of my most intense cries in the afterglow. It can be for seemingly no reason. I've always noticed this since I tried kava four years ago.

My first or second time I had a heavy session, four years back before meeting my buddies. They started talking smack on another close friend and I sobbed and said they shouldn't talk about our dude like that. It was really weird. I normally don't cry like that, let alone in front of other people. Once it had worn off completely my friends asked me what was up and I lied and just said I didn't get enough sleep last night or something I can't really remember. Does anyone else have this experience?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It makes me feel less inclined to cry and allows me to observe emotions and issues calmly and put them aside easily.
Maybe one of the kavalactones affects you in an uncommon way that alters your brain chemistry a bit differently.
In the situation you described, it sounds like it drastically increased your empathy, which is a common feature of many psychedelics...especially 'entactogens'.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
This is interesting! Sometimes I get into processing emotions mode while drinking kava, but it has seemed to help me in the long run. The interesting thing is you say this has been happening for four years. Could it be processing things do you think?
Perhaps you're getting some of that rebound anxiety that some people get. At least it passes. And you sleep well afterwards?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Sometimes I feel a much stronger influx of emotions afterwords. Not often but I tend to laugh harder, cry harder, and think on a much more emotional level.
This is really interesting. I have a number of ideas. Do you drink it late at night? Could it be fatigue? Also maybe it's the more heady effects! Have you noticed a difference with heady vs more heavy kavas? Another thing I wonder is if it just hits your particular chemistry in this way. That emotional opening up most people feel turns into this for you. Do you get that more open feeling before the more enhanced emotions sets in later in the session?

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Kava puts me in a certain trance. After one 16-28 oz fluid bowl with about 3-5 tablespoons kneaded, it relaxes me. If I double or triple that I start to feel a lot more emotional. It doesn't happen right away, once the effect has started to ware off.

In a way it numbs me but in other ways it makes me more sensitive and open. I think on a much deeper emotional spectrum. Any situation I'm in it maximizes emotion and meaning to the max. When I'm hiking with it I feel a lot more connected to nature. I feel more emotions when watching tv with it. Even a cheesy show, like the Simpsons has gotten me emotional when I drink kava watching it. Later on I think, wow I never would've gotten emotional like that if it hadn't been for this kava.

In one episode, I think season two Homer tries to basically dump Marge and at the end she makes him look her in the eye and tell her she doesn't love her. I was two bowls deep when watching that episode and that end scene got me. As I'm balling I think wow this is ridiculous I'm crying to a Simpsons episode. I can see why pacific islanders used it in ceremonies. It really homes in your spiritual side.

I use kava with another herb, the 'c' word we shall say. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk about it here, but using those two together creates an awesome experience. They both potentiate each other a lot. That's when I tend to get the most emotional, if I"m under the influence of this other herb along with kava.

On top of that, kava gives me some really weird, wild dreams. I never ever not dream. Its just a huge part of my life now. Unfortunately its not nice to my skin. I'm dealing with a rash and I'm trying to mitigate it without stopping.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sometimes I feel a much stronger influx of emotions afterwords. Not often but I tend to laugh harder, cry harder, and think on a much more emotional level.
I don't know that I'd say kava makes me any more or less emotional, but I have noticed sometimes short bursts of extremely intense emotion, and I believe that I can attribute it to the kava, a side effect. Doesn't happen very often, maybe once or twice a month, maybe three times... But it can happen with any emotion, anger, sadness, joy, jealousy,..... (not romantic jealousy, more like "I wish I had a PS4 kind of jealousy")

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I don't know that I'd say kava makes me any more or less emotional, but I have noticed sometimes short bursts of extremely intense emotion, and I believe that I can attribute it to the kava, a side effect. Doesn't happen very often, maybe once or twice a month, maybe three times... But it can happen with any emotion, anger, sadness, joy, jealousy,..... (not romantic jealousy, more like "I wish I had a PS4 kind of jealousy")
Shit, I wish I had that nintendo switch!

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Shit, I wish I had that nintendo switch!
:) lol!

I get emotional from episodes like that too, they're good episodes!
Same with American Dad, as a male it's a good thing.. especially with crying, if it was other emotions like anger or sadness, I would consider it a negative side effect unless you were so used to suppressing these emotions and kava was bring them to the surface, that would be different.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
:) lol!

I get emotional from episodes like that too, they're good episodes!
Same with American Dad, as a male it's a good thing.. especially with crying, if it was other emotions like anger or sadness, I would consider it a negative side effect unless you were so used to suppressing these emotions and kava was bring them to the surface, that would be different.
If nothing else, emotions are exercise, good for routine maintenance. Use it or lose it, eh?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I used to have a PS3 til a thunderstorm nuked it. The bluerays I don't miss that much, thanks to modern HD video. But I do miss Dark Souls. Years ago, my friend was all "yo check out this crazy goodness!" when Demons's Souls was about to drop. She was right. Whole series is so best.

Kava is great too. But come on, these were the golden days.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I used to have a PS3 til a thunderstorm nuked it. The bluerays I don't miss that much, thanks to modern HD video. But I do miss Dark Souls. Years ago, my friend was all "yo check out this crazy goodness!" when Demons's Souls was about to drop. She was right. Whole series is so best.

Kava is great too. But come on, these were the golden days.
Dark Souls is for hard core mfs,oh yeah.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Kava effects me in the complete opposite way as alcohol or cannabis. It's very numbing physically and emotionally. Whether I am dealing with a good situation or a bad one my mood is very level once the kava kicks in.
I've experienced both sides of this. With some emotions, it seemed to even me out. But with others, it seems to slow me down and allow me to focus on my emotions, and not to my liking. However, if i am drinking it with friends, I don't seem to get the negative more emotional effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.