What's new

Kava - makes me feel bad instead of good

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Last edited:
Here is my tale of woe: A few years ago I tried kava. It was very cool. I don't think I ever got 'krunked' even with massive amounts- but definitely got that feel good 'chill' vibe, everything is ok, it's cool, I'm calm, yea this is nice.
And so it went for a year or so of probably 4-7 times a week of kava usage.
Then... I just started feeling .... bad after kava. Not sure how to describe, but the exact OPPOSITE of what it used to feel like. Edgy, anxious, not good. Trust me, I repeated this experiment probably 100 times (no kidding - amazing what we will do to keep chasing that high). I am finally ready to just concede - this no longer works for me. Note- I took an EXTENDED break of 2-3 months with no kava at all (hoping that maybe I needed to reboot the matrix). Same effect when I tried again. I have tried different brands, types, instants, etc (good lord you should see my cabinet).... it all seems to have this same bad, no-good effect. Heavy kavain seem to be the worst, but I have tried the borogurus\borogu as well (different vendors, yes all the 'popular' vendors on this site), it is the same.
Obviously - I am an outlier. :) Has anyone else experienced this? Anybody you know experience this? I have heard of people quitting due to allergic (skin) reactions- is it possible I developed some other type of allergy that will never go away?
Just curious if anybody else has ever heard of this.
I have been having a very strange effect with 'Double Wood' Kava Kava 1000mg per serving. Amazon sells this for $14.95. So strange in fact that I did a google search and found your thread. I used to take Kava off and on when I felt I needed a little help with anxiety but didn’t take it every day because I didn’t usually have anxiety. I didn’t actually feel any different taking it randomly, so I decided to start taking it daily. I was taking 2 each morning 1/2 hour before eating (as directed on the bottle). I started noticing a very strange feeling. One of doom, gloom and negativity. I had bad feelings especially when going out. It's hard to describe the feeling but it made me feel absolutely horrible. I had so much anxiety that I started having stomach issues with all the worry. I was having bad thoughts about people (not that I wanted to hurt myself or people) but more just worry about all the negativity in the world especially with politics and violence. I would totally focus on the negative. I was afraid to leave or see people. And I am so not that way. That’s why I knew something was wrong. I even made an appt with my doctor for a physical.

I couldn't figure it out as I take a lot of vitamins. So I started removing things but nothing was working. I didn't put 2+2 together until I did this search. I stopped taking Kava and literally the next day I started feeling WAY better. It was almost euphoric as I started to feel much happier and more positive. Glad to see it’s not just me.

The feeling that I had is so difficult to describe and I never felt this way before. I certainly didn’t like it at all. I wonder if this is how people that suffer from depression feel. I always wondered why people have depression because I couldn’t image anyone just being depressed or having anxiety all the time. But I see why if someone was feeling what I had all the time that they would need help. It’s a very scary feeling.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Oh oh...Kava makes me feel good instead of bad...Sometimes a break is all yah need.