What's new

Kava - makes me feel bad instead of good

JKraft

Kava Curious
I've been getting the exact same effect as the original poster for the few weeks. Ten minutes of happiness followed by uneasiness/anxiety. I can't figure it out. Several months ago, I never got the uneasiness/anxiety. Nothing has changed.

I'm also a user of the other K. Someone in the thread mentioned that might have something to do with it.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Only bad feeling I have got from Kava was when I drank too much, too quickly. The resulting feeling was a kind of dizzy clammy feeling, like I was going to throw up. Maybe like the feeling of really low blood pressure. But that is only if I drink three or more shells within a five or ten minute window.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Unsavory topic for the morning but I'm feeling kinda weird and trying to pinpoint the cause:
Still on 1mg Valium (tapering)
Last week had 2 days worth of doxycycline but had to stop due to allergic reaction
Drink plenty of water, exercise regularly, eat healthy diet
Kava definitely helps with anxiety and I don't overdo it - definitely a lightweight
BUT
Last few days getting loose poops in the morning with obvious undigested food - yea disgustingly enough I did look!
Feel kinda spacey and unbalanced - not really dizzy though.
No stomach pain other than a bit of tenderness.
Micro moi and Solomon strains seem to make me feel worse and I barely had any.

Anyone had anything like this - particularly the loosey poopy? Can even just small amounts of kava cause this - especially with low dose of benzos?
Re-started probiotics in the hope this might help.
Meanwhile staying off all kava:unsure:
That's almost certainly the doxy. Doxy is some SERIOUSLY nasty stuff. I was on it for a couple of weeks once due to a
horribly infected spider bite (thought it might be lyme's as well). Holy crap!!! Horrible stomach pains, dizzy spells, etc.
I had to stop the regimen a little early because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Doxy will very likely kill your intestinal flora. That gives you the poops.

Best thing to do right now is to re-generate the flora by taking pro-biotics and eating plenty of yogurt.
Be patient, it won't happen overnight, but it will work.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
That's almost certainly the doxy. Doxy is some SERIOUSLY nasty stuff. I was on it for a couple of weeks once due to a
horribly infected spider bite (thought it might be lyme's as well). Holy crap!!! Horrible stomach pains, dizzy spells, etc.
I had to stop the regimen a little early because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Doxy will very likely kill your intestinal flora. That gives you the poops.

Best thing to do right now is to re-generate the flora by taking pro-biotics and eating plenty of yogurt.
It is absolutely CRITICAL to take a course of pro-biotics after taking antibiotics

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Also lacto fermented foods like sauerkraut (just don't cook it, eat it raw). I had an episode once where I did a fungal detox with oregano oil, and it killed ALL of my gut flora. I was super depressed and sick for like two weeks until I started back on kraut and probiotics (specifically a brand called Gr8dophilus)... that helped me get back to normal, but it took another two weeks to do so...

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
It is absolutely CRITICAL to take a course of pro-biotics after taking antibiotics
AFAIK, probiotics cannot survive stomach acids and are therefore useless.
Personally I have bucketloads of yoghurt after a course of antibiotics. It might end up being of no benefit to my belly biome either, but at least it tastes delicious.

D Novak

Kava Curious
@OP and a few others: No wonder why you feel like shit when you drink Kava. You have 0 respect for such a great plant. Kava is not a recreational drug, it is medicine. I have been off the kitty, the dope, ganja, booze, all of it and am changing my life around. It's folks like you that give kava a bad wrap. It is not a drug to be abused. It is a medicine to be respected and used for specific reasons. Maybe you'll need to take it one day, it used to not work for me either. So, no, it won't get you high and if you drink it like you're going to get high, no sh!t you're getting sick. Also, kavalactones must build up in your system before there is a noticeable benefit.
Happy not taking many pills folks!!!

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
@OP and a few others: No wonder why you feel like shit when you drink Kava. You have 0 respect for such a great plant. Kava is not a recreational drug, it is medicine. I have been off the kitty, the dope, ganja, booze, all of it and am changing my life around. It's folks like you that give kava a bad wrap. It is not a drug to be abused. It is a medicine to be respected and used for specific reasons. Maybe you'll need to take it one day, it used to not work for me either. So, no, it won't get you high and if you drink it like you're going to get high, no sh!t you're getting sick. Also, kavalactones must build up in your system before there is a noticeable benefit.
Happy not taking many pills folks!!!
4-7 sessions a week is not excessive

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
@D Novak

Who's @OP? I tried looking for the message you were referencing and couldn't find one.

Also - being a little judgmental, are we? Kava is not just a medicine. In fact, it isn't even primarily a medicine. It has been used as a traditional beverage for centuries - a calming and relaxing traditional beverage. Pacific Islanders don't view Kava as a "medicine" - Westerners do. I think most people on the Kava Forums probably use Kava as a traditional beverage and a medicine. I know that I do. It helps me with my anxiety and makes me feel better at the end of the day. Instead of drinking beer or wine, for example, I reach for my shell. And guess what? The more you drink the better you feel - up to a point of course. I have been doing about six tablespoons per day for about three months, and really want that good krunk to help me sleep and relieve some of my inner pain.

And seriously, people have different realities and different reasons for doing things. I'm glad to hear you got over your drug addiction, but don't point fingers and assume the worst, or really anything, about other people's lives.

Last edited:

schatz

itchin for kava
I have had a serious cold or flu the past 7 days and thought I should stop drinking kava. I stopped kava one night when it really got bad and I knew I would just be waisting it. It was strange how it cleared my head up so I could go to sleep and take all the fever aches away just like nyquil or theraflu, incredible without the side effects.It didnt really take away the fever, just the achiness, I guess the fever is your bodies way of exorcizing the virus and you dont want to stop that like we have all been lead to believe. It worked for me and now back to my regular enjoyment of kava.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
I've been getting the exact same effect as the original poster for the few weeks. Ten minutes of happiness followed by uneasiness/anxiety. I can't figure it out. Several months ago, I never got the uneasiness/anxiety. Nothing has changed.

I'm also a user of the other K. Someone in the thread mentioned that might have something to do with it.
Taking Kr@t0m as well as Kava makes me edgy and anxious. Defiantly Don't take them together, a 12 hr gap between the 2 is the best way
to stop that feeling/feelings i've found.