What's new

Kava mention in iFreePress

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
http://www.ifreepress.com/health/natural-remedies-to-treat-anxiety

It's mentioned alongside Aromatherapy, Passionflower and Valerian.

4. Kava: Native to Polynesia, the herb kava is shown to have some anti-anxiety effects on humans. However, it is worth mentioning that the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an advisory to consumers stating the risk that comes along with having kava, such as risk of serious liver injury. It’s best to consult your doctor before having Kava.​

See, that's the conventional wisdom. The FDA mention of liver damage, and "Better ask your doctor," which is ironinc because doctors have no idea what kava is.

So it seems like working on the FDA to reverse this or issue a statement modifying their current position would be a good pursuit. That would change the tide.

Also seems like education for doctors would be a good undertaking. How do you educate doctors? Is there a big mailing list somewhere? ;-)

Anyways, it's representative of a kava mention in the "lite" media. And shows two areas where I think change should be made. How do we do that?

verticity

I'm interested in things
"Do you patiently wait for Halloween to satisfy your black licorice cravings? Beware black licorice enthusiasts – too much of it can cause serious harm! If you are over the age of 40 and consume multiple 2 oz bags (roughly 40-50 grams each) of black licorice a day for at least two weeks you could be at risk for heart arrhythmias."
Black Licorice can be a Dangerous Treat for Some
Wow, Today I Learned. Silly me, I had thought Glycyrrhizin was the capitol of Kyrgyzstan.