What's new

Kava mutation

Akva

Kava Curious
Hi all. I am wondering if there is any research or general knowledge on kava mutations. As in one variety of kava producing a cutting that turns out differently in appearance to it’s parent? Is there a technical term for this also?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi all. I am wondering if there is any research or general knowledge on kava mutations. As in one variety of kava producing a cutting that turns out differently in appearance to it’s parent? Is there a technical term for this also?
Hard to know where to begin-- somatic mutation is how the improved cultivars of kava came to be. Invented for preference via selection by Pacific Island farmers over a great many years. Some of my kava ('awa) plants here are very old and they tend to mutate often. They stay within the 'neighborhood" of Hawaiian 'awa however. A few years ago my 'Awa Nene mutated and I thought it was a new cultivar but it turned out to be Honokane Iki. Honokane Iki can change to Hiwa, Hiwa can become Papa 'Ele'ele and so on. Mahakea can become Pana'ewa. Since no seed can be produced by kava, somatic mutation is the only way to change. Causes can be environment, stress, even comfort- like excellent growing conditions. Age also seems to be a factor.

Hard to know where to begin-- somatic mutation is how the improved cultivars of kava came to be. Invented for preference via selection by Pacific Island farmers over a great many years. Some of my kava ('awa) plants here are very old and they tend to mutate often. They stay within the 'neighborhood" of Hawaiian 'awa however. A few years ago my 'Awa Nene mutated and I thought it was a new cultivar but it turned out to be Honokane Iki. Honokane Iki can change to Hiwa, Hiwa can become Papa 'Ele'ele and so on. Mahakea can become Pana'ewa. Since no seed can be produced by kava, somatic mutation is the only way to change. Causes can be environment, stress, even comfort- like excellent growing conditions. Age also seems to be a factor.
Wow, I had no idea. That's fascinating.