What's new

Kava newbie with a bit of experience :)

specops

Kava Curious
Hey

A few years ago I first heard about kava. I started with some pills and extracts, which were not really effective.

With google and kavasseurs’s blog I learned more about this interesting plant. On 2010 and 2013 I tried the extracts and Hawaii awe powder from paradise kava. The extracts were effective in most of the situations, but when I was really tensed up it was not enough, even when I took more than 10 grams of the extract, which were about 1500mg of kavalactones. In this case I took a benzo prescribed from my doctorr. But I didn’t and don’t take them often.

With the powder I had problems with its taste and a bit nausea so I stayed with the extracts.

This was a while ago. In the meantime I also tried following products:

Kava candy
soft but good relaxing effect. But after a while taking them my eyes began to burn. I don’t know if it has to do with the sorbitol in it.

Kava tea
the same here, soft but good relaxing effects, nothing for “hard” situations too, but still I was positively surprised because I did not expect really an effect from a tea.

A few days ago I ordered new stuff from paradise kava: the Vanuatu premium blend no 7 and the fresh instant kava.

The Vanuatu premium blend no7 is according to the kavasseur a pretty strong one with a “krung off the hook”. Starting with about 3 heaped tablespoons well squeezed with strainer bag in water I just felt a slight relaxation. Today I took 5-6 heaped tablespoons in empty stomach, also squeezed with strainer bag. I felt really relaxed and a bit euphoric. After around 1 hour it began to decrease. It was more of a mental than a body relaxation. It was very good and relaxing, but I had always a slight feeling of nausea.

The instant kava was even a bit headier. Just tested it one time.

Concerning the taste I have a few tricks now. But still a bit unpleasant for me is the aftertaste which comes up from my stomach after a while.

I’m looking for something which is strong without needing heaps of it. Next I would like to try the Nambawan and the Boroguru from the Bula Kava House. Unfortunately they do not send to my country. But the Boroguru I also found at kava dot com. Is this a good seller?

Do you have any other recommendations and tips?

Many thanks! and greetings,
specops

Last edited:

specops

Kava Curious
I just tested the instant kava (about 5 teaspoons) and after just 5 minutes I felt the effects quite well. Maybe I had also a bit this thing called reverse tolerance. I see kava needs a bit of time to test and try...

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I bet if you tried my micronized kava you will not have any reverse tolerance problems. :hungry: It is also very strong and easy on the stomach.
Please let me know if you have any questions, aloha. (y)

Chris

Pink

Kava Curious
Welcome to forums,i as well have a bit experience with kava and what not ;)
First mistake i made with instant,was measuring it right-since many presume instant will be strong they use like 1-3 tea size spoons that usually result in less than 10g per cup say 250ml to 300ml and dont get anything.So second time i tried instant i went full blast took 3-4 heap-full of proper spoon into single cup.stirred and left it for a minute,to get straight euphoric kick minutes later-of course cup was downed down into 3 sheels and spaced out,but single thing as mixing in too little compared to water ratio can just diminish any effects to be felt.

As for Root its really hard to tell whatever its strong or not,since depends how much you use,as ive seen people writing from 3-4 up to 8 full spoons,might seems a lot but given its root and kavalactones need to be extracted and kneaded, well its about right in most cases.The safe measure here is that you might use too much,but if you pull of strong batch,only thing you need to worry is to consume less of it,saving for later or next day,thus getting full benefits and not overdoing it,just because you made it to strong.

specops

Kava Curious
thanks a lot for your advice. Maybe every kava needs to be tested a few times. I was just writing about my first trials, don't wanna rate anything, I leave that to kavasseur and you guys :) Strangely the effects of the instant kava lasted much longer than the effects from the powdered root.
Mabye its better you wait for writing anything until you know you passed the reverse tolerance.

Last edited:

specops

Kava Curious
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
Hi Chris, I would like to try your kava (maybe moi and mahakea). Do you send to Switzerland?

a little update:
In the meantime I think I passed this thing called reverse tolerance.

PK Extracts
They work much better now. It's different than root powder and smoother, but ultra mobile.
I really like the consistency and taste of the Rose&Saffron. To put it under the tongue works for me.

PK Vanuatu Blend No 7
Need 3 tbs instead of 7 tbs for the same effects now. It's "well-balanced", not too heady and not too sedating, but alltogether strong.

BKH Nambawan
Very strong stuff with even 3 tbs. Heady and euphoric. It lasted 2 hours, but immediately after the effects were gone I had a "kava hang-over" for around another 2 hours. If I had a hang-over from kava it was mostly right after the session and not the next day.

BKH Koniak
Not heady, more body effects, I did not try enough to tell more. But I like the "fresh" smell of it, reminds me of playing in the woods and digging around :)

BKH 11 Year Waka
Tried it 2 times so far. Had problems with nausea and dizziness. Maybe the problem was too less water. It was very very thick and hard to drink (also tastewise).

BKH Borogu
Really liked it. Tried it 2 times so far. "Clean effects".

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
Hi Chris, I would like to try your kava (maybe moi and mahakea). Do you send to Switzerland?

a little update:
In the meantime I think I passed this thing called reverse tolerance.

PK Extracts
They work much better now. It's different than root powder and smoother, but ultra mobile.
I really like the consistency and taste of the Rose&Saffron. To put it under the tongue works for me.

PK Vanuatu Blend No 7
Need 3 tbs instead of 7 tbs for the same effects now. It's "well-balanced", not too heady and not too sedating, but alltogether strong.

BKH Nambawan
Very strong stuff with even 3 tbs. Heady and euphoric. It lasted 2 hours, but immediately after the effects were gone I had a "kava hang-over" for around another 2 hours. If I had a hang-over from kava it was mostly right after the session and not the next day.

BKH Koniak
Not heady, more body effects, I did not try enough to tell more. But I like the "fresh" smell of it, reminds me of playing in the woods and digging around :)

BKH 11 Year Waka
Tried it 2 times so far. Had problems with nausea and dizziness. Maybe the problem was too less water. It was very very thick and hard to drink (also tastewise).

BKH Borogu
Really liked it. Tried it 2 times so far. "Clean effects".
Hi, yes I do ship to Switzerland. Let me know if you have any questions about the Hawaiian kava. Aloha.

Chris

specops

Kava Curious
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
Thanks for your fast reply! I did not know that you ship to europe, on your homepage you have a link for global kava export which says Global Kava Exports is the only company where you can buy Kava from Europe. But I was wondering as I ordered kava from BKH and PK a few times without any problems ever.

My experiences with instant and micronised are not very good. The good think would be that it is more mobile and faster to prepare. But for me it was always hard to drink and I had nausea. Maybe I must throw away my 11 year waka from BKH. But maybe I did not try enough. Kava for beginners can be a bit costly....

I was surprised that there are a no less reviews of your micronised kava than of the "normal" med grind kava, so it is pretty famous :)

Are my rankings below correct...?

Most easy on stomach
1. med grind kava with strainer
2. instant kava
3. micronised kava

"Best" taste
2. instant kava
3. micronised kava

Best effects
1. micronised kava
2. instant kava

I did not rank mobility which is also importent which would win the micronised and instant kava

Thanks for your patience and support :)
(and sorry for my Englisch, hope is ok)

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
Thanks for your fast reply! I did not know that you ship to europe, on your homepage you have a link for global kava export which says Global Kava Exports is the only company where you can buy Kava from Europe. But I was wondering as I ordered kava from BKH and PK a few times without any problems ever.

My experiences with instant and micronised are not very good. The good think would be that it is more mobile and faster to prepare. But for me it was always hard to drink and I had nausea. Maybe I must throw away my 11 year waka from BKH. But maybe I did not try enough. Kava for beginners can be a bit costly....

I was surprised that there are a no less reviews of your micronised kava than of the "normal" med grind kava, so it is pretty famous :)

Are my rankings below correct...?

Most easy on stomach
2. instant kava
3. micronised kava

"Best" taste
2. instant kava
3. micronised kava

Best effects
1. micronised kava
2. instant kava

I did not rank mobility which is also importent which would win the micronised and instant kava

Thanks for your patience and support :)
(and sorry for my Englisch, hope is ok)
Each person is different but for the most part you are correct on your rankings. I will let the cat out of the bag here on this post. I am currently working on a new finer instant that I am hoping will eliminate the nausea that some people get from kava. I hope to have some samples for people to try in the next few months. Aloha.

Chris

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Each person is different but for the most part you are correct on your rankings. I will let the cat out of the bag here on this post. I am currently working on a new finer instant that I am hoping will eliminate the nausea that some people get from kava. I hope to have some samples for people to try in the next few months. Aloha.

Chris
I don't know how that's even possible, but my credit card is waiting!

specops

Kava Curious
Chris, did you ever sell extracted kavalactones or was this just for testing? If you do not sell extracts, what's the reason?

Looks so good, like fresh honey

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Chris, did you ever sell extracted kavalactones or was this just for testing? If you do not sell extracts, what's the reason?

Looks so good, like fresh honey
Yes this kava extract looks real good but I do not sell it anymore. I used to make this up until a few years ago. There have been some studies that show that Traditional water extraction, the way we do it by kneading and stiring in the instant or micronized is the best way to go.
I will not go into details because there is not enough research that has been done in this area to say this is bad or this is good but the studies seem to indicate that the water extraction is the safest way to go when it comes to consuming kava.
I hope this helps, aloha.

Chris

specops

Kava Curious
Ok, I just ordered the Moi Instant... :)

I was thinking about to put the instant powder into big capsules...

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I bet if you tried my micronized kava you will not have any reverse tolerance problems. :hungry: It is also very strong and easy on the stomach.
Please let me know if you have any questions, aloha. (y)

Chris
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava - I am wondering about this because I am going to be sending a micro care package to my brother for his birthday. He has never had kava before, even though he lives in the Tampa area where there are plenty of places to try it. I will be sending him all four of your micros that I am going to be receiving soon and the 11 year waka from Bula. Any good suggestions on how to get him started? I do worry about RT and I bet that RT has kept gamillions of people from ever enjoying kava.