What's new

Kava Plants

Piperm

Kava Curious
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could sell me some live Kava stems for growing that would sprout branches when planting. (I am located in Omemee, Ontario, Canada. I like to grow hydroponic plants, etc) I can get Shell Ginger which has kavalactones, but I cant seem to get Kava to grow.

Let me know, I would send you 300CAD to cover everything and shipping.

Have a Happy New Year!

Mike

Last edited:

hightides42

our Roots run deep
have you tried reaching out to @Pu'u O Hoku Ranch ?

i plan on it, see is we can purchase a viable cutting/starter. we run an aquaponics system, finally got some fish in it and have cycled, meaning its now ready for prime production. home grown Awa would be awesome... ::KavaChug::

Piperm

Kava Curious
I have always wanted to grow kava, so I appreciate the link! I will send him a message if possible and hopefully can get some cuttings/stems for growing. I use deep water culture hydroponics, so we’ll see how they grow.
Take care!

hightides42

our Roots run deep
I have always wanted to grow kava, so I appreciate the link! I will send him a message if possible and hopefully can get some cuttings/stems for growing. I use deep water culture hydroponics, so we’ll see how they grow.
Take care!
our system (constant flow) has three 4'×4' media grow beds and one same size dwc. i also use a couple dwc rafts floating in the 200gal fishtank for starting seeds.

if you're not familiar with aquaponics then i recommend you do look into it, can save a ton of money on system supplementing and nutrient needs simply from the fish poop and nitrification process. system will grow everything I've thrown at it, from veggies to herbs to 'top shelf' cannabis with little more than pH balancing organics and occasional iron add. everthing else comes from both fish food and waste breakdown. you don't even need to grow edible fish (altho catfish, trout, tilapia, and 'panfish' like bluegill and crappie taste phenomenonal system grown) you can use a dozen goldfish, or raise marketable koi, and such.

The real kicker is no water change required. ever. so very conserving on that front regarding hydroponics, all you'd have to do is add a fish tank and sediment filter tank (and an airpump, if not already using one, you want a high DO), neither have to be big as what i'm using, because a dozen fish can supply all the nitrogen needed for a fairly large personal grow system (i could double the size of grow space with what i have going now with a ten and a 14 inch pleco and half a dozen goldfish i started system with this time)...

i'm also preaching aquaponics in this response not to discourage rather because i believe the kava starter is maybe a couple inches or so long and it gets buried lengthwise in the ground. which i think would be quite a challenge for dwc and hydro, but not bad at all for media beds or wicking beds similar to how well ginger root grows in the latter two. although kava harvest from a dwc would be incredibly simple!

also asking you to msg me if you find some viable root starters as this is now an incredible idea to try here. i will return the favor should i come across such, as well.

great idea...lol, thanks for posting this -
Bula! ::KavaChug::