What's new

Kava Powder

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
This is my first experience with KavaBoy kava, and having had a number of different varieties under my belt, I was eager to try this one and review it for kavaforums.

Preparation and Taste

I've been using a little more root with my prep since switching to the 25 micron bag as I'm not getting the added strength of the small particulate mater since the strainer really does a great job filtering out everything. This makes kava much more enjoyable for me the night-of and the day-after due to the lack of stomach upset with my very sensitive stomach. I've found that I need to compensate for the fine strainer with more root and more kneading, but the additional work is worth it!

I used 1 cup of KavaBoy kava to 3 cups of warm water, soaked for 15 minutes, kneaded for another 15 (I'm going to get Popeye forearms with the kneading, but I consider it a great grip strength exercise, so win-win!)

The taste is very mild. Right up there with Hawaiian and Tongan kava and not at all like Vanuatu varieties I've had. Very palatable, smooth flavor with a hint of bitterness at the finish. Not a lot of numbing of the mouth or throat-hit when drinking my shells, but the strength is there.

Onset and Effects

At 35 minutes I noticed the kava effects taking hold. Some tingling in the scalp, some warmth in the face. These built until an hour where I noticed a profound sense of peace and calm taking over. I have been feeling physically terrible (headaches, low energy, general malaise from a virus/cold) for about 24 hours, and I wanted to see if I could break the cycle of misery with a little kava session tonight. After an hour and three shells, I was feeling more relaxed and less wretched and sat down to watch Ru Paul's Drag Race with my wife and two daughters---something I normally abstain from, and found it generally funny and charming. Thumbs up for sociability and desire for connectedness with this kava.

I hear some tinnitus (I almost always do with kava) and feel a significant mood elevation. It's a bit heady akin to what I feel from Mahakea or Borongoru, but not a heady monster akin to what I feel from Mo'i or Nambawan (or the Nambawan/Borongoru mix I did the other night that sent me into orbit.) There's some soft-focus lens effect with eyesight, though minimal eye-lag. It's also not sedating at all, and I'm getting none of the eye heaviness or feelings of body lethargy or looseness that I get with heavier kava.

At around 2 hours I felt gassy. May be related to recent diet, the virus itself, or comfort-snacking on graham crackers while I stayed home from work today feeling miserable.

Conclusion and Final Remarks

This is a mild, soothing kava with moderate to strength. This is a daily drinking kava that's neither super heady nor super sedating, and has put me into a lovely even mood following a long day of trying to sleep through misery. I look forward to seeing how it treats me this evening and in the morning. I suspect it will not be amping up the bed-gravity the way some do.

I like this kava a lot! It's in the heady category, but a very smooth and not nervous headiness and I feel a complete lack of body tiredness or sedation which is great. I'm happy I pound a whole pound of the stuff (couldn't resist the discount) and can see drinking this as a go-to weeknight kava for many weeks to come. Great stuff! Thanks KavaBoy!

EDIT:

Sleep and Morning After Effects

I slept soundly, though was up every 2-4 hours throughout the night to stumble to the bathroom. Some burning in the abdomen, though not extreme. Gassiness reduced through the night. Had no trouble getting back to sleep each time. Awoke feeling rested and was able to get up and get moving without any trouble.

Last edited by a moderator: