What's new

kava preparation

Catlady

Kava Curious
If I prepared a larger batch of kava the traditional way (like 3 litres), could I freeze the lot for later consumption?
And what is the best straining bag? I have 2, one is very tight and doesn't let any powder out and the other seems to let a lot of the powder seep through the bag, like the residual amount of roots left in the bag is half of what I first started with.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If I prepared a larger batch of kava the traditional way (like 3 litres), could I freeze the lot for later consumption?
Absolutely, a while back we had someone post pictures of ice cubes made from kava, it was a similar concept where the person prepped the grog in advance and then froze the individual cubes for the convenience at a later date. These ice cubes could be another way to add a bit of variation to what you are drinking, like Melo Melo ice cubes with Borongoru or some other strain.

There have been some cautionary threads about using glass since a liquid will expand when frozen.
And what is the best straining bag? I have 2, one is very tight and doesn't let any powder out and the other seems to let a lot of the powder seep through the bag, like the residual amount of roots left in the bag is half of what I first started with.
I personally think the best straining bag is a synthetic nylon at 75 microns. I buy mine at kavafied, and these last me well over a year. Alternatively you can buy something on Amazon, just be sure it is food safe and 75 microns (50 is too small and 100 is still OK), but you might feel more nausea because of the larger particles passing through the bag. Aim to get a 75 micron bag.

The loose powder that shakes through the strainer (before you add water) is totally normal.

Here is another interesting idea

I found the original ice cube thread :)

Last edited:

BLK.Matt

Blue Lagoon Kava
Australian Importer
Hey Catlady, as Krunky said the best strainers are 75 micron nylon bags. Luckily we sell these at Blue Lagoon Kava :)

www.bluelagoonkava.com.au

ezeebop

If there is a group studying kava preparation scientifically, and reporting their results on some website, I would love to know about it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If there is a group studying kava preparation scientifically, and reporting their results on some website, I would love to know about it.
Kava preparation is pretty straightforward there's not much to study. You need a certain amount of powder, cold water and a strainer.