What's new

Kava FAQ Kava Questions (Regarding Chemotypes, Cultivars, Kavain & Waka...)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Feel free to answer what you can or just add your thoughts. Thanks.

Answers by kavadude in blue, answers by infraredz in red
Chemotypes:
1)
How/where & how much does it cost to get Chemotype tests done?
The chemotypes we see are only a relative description of the overall composition of the plant. What we get a sort of relative make-up some of the plant's secondary metabolites even though there are far more compounds that could be measured. Therefore, all you would need is a GC/MS machine (or access) and nowadays the whole apparatus are can fit on a small sized desk. Universities have them, private companies, chemical labs, bio-med labs, private drug testing companies, toxicology labs and other fields within the health care field have access to them. I know the cost of a 250mL urine sample is around $400.00 through a toxicology company.
2) If I put kava into a capsule and sent it to EcstasyData.org would their GC-MS results show individual kavalactones ?
I doubt it, but if it's free it's always worth a shot!
Definitely no, they'll only test for substances known to be in ecstasy pills, I doubt anyone has ever put kava in a fake ecstasy pill or even if they have they won't test for kavalactone content
3) Do chemotypes change depending on plant age, soil and weather? Sometimes I see slightly different results from different sources.
If I remember my botany, then yes. More than anything, it would seem to vary with plant age (because I think they tend to occur in greater quantities later in the plant's life cycle. As far as the soil and weather, I would be very surprised if those didn't have an impact on the content and quantity of the kavalactones.
The chemical content of all plants definitely varies depending on the environment (and even on the time of day). I don't know if that's enough to shift the chemotype (i.e. cause the plant to have say more DHM than kavain), but it certainly sounds plausible.
4) Does anyone know the Solomon Island chemotype yet ? Is it noble...is it wild ? I've never had it, but it
seems everyone comments on how different and great it is. I really would love to know what causes that.
No one knows for sure. Some have speculated it is abnormally high in Y, which has an affinity for the CB1 receptor, leading some to think the effects are due to the Endocannabinoid system. However, just because it has an affinity (very weakly, I might add) doesn't mean anything. It could be an agonist, antagonist, inverse agonist, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that it exerts a *positive* effect on that receptor.
5) Flavokavain-B. Recently Andrew (a.k.a PapaKava) let us know that Isa/tudei and wichmanii varieties contain substantial amounts of Flavokavain-B, which can be toxic. Previously tudei's effects were usually attributed to a very high DHM/DHK chemotype...is there any reason to believe all DHM/DHK kava's are more likely to bring along higher amounts of Flavokavain-B with it ?
I don't think so. Like Andrew said, other kavas were tested and had much lower amounts of FKB. DHM and DHK are only double-bonded Kavain and Methysticum. It's hard to imagine that they have any *input* on a separate and possibly distinct compound. I think this is a case of correlation does not equal causation (ie. just because tudeis have so much more FKB doesn't mean that's because the have high DHM/DHK). All three are secondary metabolites, but what interaction they have between each other, and the synthesis of FKB is not known to my knowledge.
I don't know, but I am looking forward to Lebot's research. If I understand the claims correctly, flavokawain-B is responsible for the hepatotoxicity and is _not_ present in noble varieties, so there would be no reason to avoid noble kavas based on chemotype.
Kavain:
1)
What is the most potent Kavain strain you've tried or heard of existing ?
I've heard about Paradise's Hawaiian 'awa being very high in K, probably why their extract is so high in it. I've also found Nambawan, Fu'u and Solomon's have high levels of K.
BKH Nambawan. For a non powdered root product, Paradise Extract is also excellent.
2) What is the most balanced Kavain and DHM-ish strain ? One(s) that undeniably mixes the two feelings, in your opinion.
Honestly, Nambawan seems to be the most balanced I've ever had. Although the amount of body relaxation/heaviness isn't there as much, it's euphoric, but not to the extent that I feel edgy or too energized. It's calming, yet euphoric at the same time.

I've tried a few Kavain strains over the years from Hawai'ian Mo'i and Mahakea to Tongan Pride...and I never seem to get the great experience from them that I read so many others having. They definitely seem to be milder tasting and creamier, which I enjoy. But the effects also seem to be so mild on me, it can be a bit of a disappointment. I did find myself enjoying mixing it with a heavier strain and not feeling as bogged down and groggy from it.

Product name/Cultivar name:
1)
Does anyone know or has anyone tried asking what strain things like "Stone" and "Chiefs Jungle" etc.,
actually are ? I understand it from a marketing viewpoint, but I really appreciate vendors who list the
traditional cultivar name.
I don't think anyone knows for certain except for N@H, but I seem to recall reading Stone was Boroguru lateral roots (maybe only the inside...?). I would bet that Chief's Jungle is just a typical PNG kava.
2) Are Fu'u and Tongan Pride the same strain ?
I've only had one of the two, but from the what I've read about the effects of both, I would venture to say it's very similar. I can't believe Tonga has as much of a bustling kava industry as Vanuatu so the amount of variation/accessibility of a wide array of kava strains will probably be much lower (at least compared to Vanuatu).

Fiji Waka:
1)
Is "waka" a term soley used in reference to Fijian kava? I've heard that it represents kava that is 100%
Lateral root and 5-10yrs old. But does it specify any cultivar or can it be anything that follows those
guidelines?
No idea, but @Kapmcrunk found some info about this.
2) Is Fiji-waka always a Fijian grown plant ? I never hear much about cultivar names from Fiji, despite it being one of the main Kava drinking counties. I recently read that Fiji is one of the largest buyers of Kava from Vanuatu. This made me wonder if I could be buying Vanuatu grown kava with the 'Waka' specifications resold as "Fiji Waka".
Also, no idea same as above.
3) Has anyone noticed if Fiji Waka from one vendor is completely different than another. For example has anyone felt like they had a high Kavain Waka...and another time got a high DHM waka ? My only experience with Fiji waka so far has been a heavy feeling, DHM-like strain.
This is something I was wondering about, and is something I'm very curious about trying BKH's Fiji Waka based on the experiences I've read of Rex's Fiji Waka. However, it's already apparent they might as well be the opposite of each other.
4) Has anyone noticed a strange incense type smell that even has a bit of a marijuana scent to it from their squeezed out root that's left over in your strainer bag ? My Fiji-waka always smells like this after its squeezed and I've never had this from any other kava I've ever used. All the others simply smelled like kava still, but this one gets a pungent incense aroma to it.
Since I haven't tried that one, I can't comment, but none of my kavas have ever given off that smell. Maybe, because cannabinoids are also lipid soluble, there is some "secret sauce" action going on

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
(2) Definitely no, they'll only test for substances known to be in ecstasy pills, I doubt anyone has ever put kava in a fake ecstasy pill or even if they have they won't test for kavalactone content
(3) The chemical content of all plants definitely varies depending on the environment (and even on the time of day). I don't know if that's enough to shift the chemotype (i.e. cause the plant to have say more DHM than kavain), but it certainly sounds plausible.
(5) I don't know, but I am looking forward to Lebot's research. If I understand the claims correctly, flavokawain-B is responsible for the hepatotoxicity and is _not_ present in noble varieties, so there would be no reason to avoid noble kavas based on chemotype.

Kavain:
(1) BKH Nambawan. For a non powdered root product, Paradise Extract is also excellent.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Oh and re: Waka, it's a Fijian term and I've only heard it used in regards to Fijian kavas, but I believe it means kava made only from lateral roots. This is supposed to be a good thing for whatever reason (more potent I think?), and I've definitely had Vanuatu kavas that were claimed to be only lateral roots.

infraredz

BULA!
Chemotypes:
1)
How/where & how much does it cost to get Chemotype tests done?
The chemotypes we see are only a relative description of the overall composition of the plant. What we get a sort of relative make-up some of the plant's secondary metabolites even though there are far more compounds that could be measured. Therefore, all you would need is a GC/MS machine (or access) and nowadays the whole apparatus are can fit on a small sized desk. Universities have them, private companies, chemical labs, bio-med labs, private drug testing companies, toxicology labs and other fields within the health care field have access to them. I know the cost of a 250mL urine sample is around $400.00 through a toxicology company.
2) If I put kava into a capsule and sent it to EcstasyData.org would their GC-MS results show individual kavalactones ?
I doubt it, but if it's free it's always worth a shot!
3) Do chemotypes change depending on plant age, soil and weather? Sometimes I see slightly different results from different sources.
If I remember my botany, then yes. More than anything, it would seem to vary with plant age (because I think they tend to occur in greater quantities later in the plant's life cycle. As far as the soil and weather, I would be very surprised if those didn't have an impact on the content and quantity of the kavalactones.
4) Does anyone know the Solomon Island chemotype yet ? Is it noble...is it wild ? I've never had it, but it
seems everyone comments on how different and great it is. I really would love to know what causes that.
No one knows for sure. Some have speculated it is abnormally high in Y, which has an affinity for the CB1 receptor, leading some to think the effects are due to the Endocannabinoid system. However, just because it has an affinity (very weakly, I might add) doesn't mean anything. It could be an agonist, antagonist, inverse agonist, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that it exerts a *positive* effect on that receptor.
5) Flavokavain-B. Recently Andrew (a.k.a PapaKava) let us know that Isa/tudei and wichmanii varieties contain substantial amounts of Flavokavain-B, which is toxic. Previously tudei's effects were usually attributed to a very high DHM/DHK chemotype...is there any reason to believe all DHM/DHK kava's are more likely to bring along higher amounts of Flavokavain-B with it ?
I don't think so. Like Andrew said, other kavas were tested and had much lower amounts of FKB. DHM and DHK are only double-bonded Kavain and Methysticum. It's hard to imagine that they have any *input* on a separate and possibly distinct compound. I think this is a case of correlation does not equal causation (ie. just because tudeis have so much more FKB doesn't mean that's because the have high DHM/DHK). All three are secondary metabolites, but what interaction they have between each other, and the synthesis of FKB is not known to my knowledge.

Kavain:
1)
What is the most potent Kavain strain you've tried or heard of existing ?
I've heard about Paradise's Hawaiian 'awa being very high in K, probably why their extract is so high in it. I've also found Nambawan, Fu'u and Solomon's have high levels of K.
2) What is the most balanced Kavain and DHM-ish strain ? One(s) that undeniably mixes the two feelings, in your opinion.
Honestly, Nambawan seems to be the most balanced I've ever had. Although the amount of body relaxation/heaviness isn't there as much, it's euphoric, but not to the extent that I feel edgy or too energized. It's calming, yet euphoric at the same time.

I've tried a few Kavain strains over the years from Hawai'ian Mo'i and Mahakea to Tongan Pride...and I never seem to get the great experience from them that I read so many others having. They definitely seem to be milder tasting and creamier, which I enjoy. But the effects also seem to be so mild on me, it can be a bit of a disappointment. I did find myself enjoying mixing it with a heavier strain and not feeling as bogged down and groggy from it.

Product name/Cultivar name:
1)
Does anyone know or has anyone tried asking what strain things like "Stone" and "Chiefs Jungle" etc.,
actually are ? I understand it from a marketing viewpoint, but I really appreciate vendors who list the
traditional cultivar name.
I don't think anyone knows for certain except for N@H, but I seem to recall reading Stone was Boroguru lateral roots (maybe only the inside...?). I would bet that Chief's Jungle is just a typical PNG kava.
2) Are Fu'u and Tongan Pride the same strain ?
I've only had one of the two, but from the what I've read about the effects of both, I would venture to say it's very similar. I can't believe Tonga has as much of a bustling kava industry as Vanuatu so the amount of variation/accessibility of a wide array of kava strains will probably be much lower (at least compared to Vanuatu).

Fiji Waka:
1)
Is "waka" a term soley used in reference to Fijian kava? I've heard that it represents kava that is 100%
Lateral root and 5-10yrs old. But does it specify any cultivar or can it be anything that follows those
guidelines?
No idea, but @Kapmcrunk found some info about this.
2) Is Fiji-waka always a Fijian grown plant ? I never hear much about cultivar names from Fiji, despite it being one of the main Kava drinking counties. I recently read that Fiji is one of the largest buyers of Kava from Vanuatu. This made me wonder if I could be buying Vanuatu grown kava with the 'Waka' specifications resold as "Fiji Waka".
Also, no idea same as above.
3) Has anyone noticed if Fiji Waka from one vendor is completely different than another. For example has anyone felt like they had a high Kavain Waka...and another time got a high DHM waka ? My only experience with Fiji waka so far has been a heavy feeling, DHM-like strain.
This is something I was wondering about, and is something I'm very curious about trying BKH's Fiji Waka based on the experiences I've read of Rex's Fiji Waka. However, it's already apparent they might as well be the opposite of each other.
4) Has anyone noticed a strange incense type smell that even has a bit of a marijuana scent to it from their squeezed out root that's left over in your strainer bag ? My Fiji-waka always smells like this after its squeezed and I've never had this from any other kava I've ever used. All the others simply smelled like kava still, but this one gets a pungent incense aroma to it.
Since I haven't tried that one, I can't comment, but none of my kavas have ever given off that smell. Maybe, because cannabinoids are also lipid soluble, there is some "secret sauce" action going on :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Good stuff but it is a little dated. There have been some very long and detailed posts by Chris concerning those subjects.

D

Deleted User01

Chris did the post on if a Kava can get over 12 percent recently. That had a bunch of info on Kavalactones. "Chris, we want to make sure we have the lastest info on Chemotypes and Kavalactones so help Headhodge find your posts."

There, wait and see. Not all the info above is dated but we do know some new things about Kavalactones and Chemotypes. "Chris, tell what you would add". There, I did it again.

infraredz

BULA!
It would be cool to have Chris post his comments to each of the questions in Green text or something.

Deleted User01, do you see anything that either I or kavadude posted that is flat out incorrect or are you saying that we just have more information available than is shown? If it's the latter, I would again suggest that Chris post his comments and I can edit in his responses into the original post like I did for me and kavavdude so it will show up correctly in the Wiki.

D

Deleted User01

I think most of the stuff is in the ball park. But there are a few places where we speculate about botany (for example) and I think Chris has the hard answers on some of that. The question on the chemotype test was not totally answered but I think Chris knows that, I sure don't. So there are a few things here and there. That is such a long post that I would imagine it would be a lot of work to review each one. Maybe it would be easier to show links to newer posts. Maybe Chris could review it (in his spare time) and make comments.

D

Deleted User01

The more I look at the post the more I wonder. The questions are all over the board. They are not necessarily on one particular topic. A few of the questions might reference newer information on botany and Kavalactones/chemotypes and maybe some new links could be inserted there and be done with it. You and Shakas did a lot of work putting those questions and answers together.

That post would would be a good Pop Quiz for Chris. :D

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I later found some Fijian cultivar names:
-Vula kasa leka (vula='white', kasa='internode', leka='short')
-Loa kasa balavu (loa='black', kasa='internode', balavu='long')
-Loa kasa leka
-Dokbana vula
-Qila leka
-Qila balavu
-Matakaro leka
-Matakaro balavu
-Damu
-Qila bulavu
-Honolulu

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I did not catch this post till just now, if you put the @ symbol and then Gourmet Hawaiian Kava then I will be notified via email that I was tagged in a post and then I can get to it.
I will make a new post on Chemotypes, I am working on it right now and I will address all the questions here, keep your eyes out for it. I have a lot of studies and paper work to go through, but it is fun. Aloha.

Chris

LabRat

Kava Curious
I later found some Fijian cultivar names:
Thanks for sharing, I'm trying to identify the strains/cultivars that I'm getting in as well as I figure if you know what you have it should be easier to decide what your preferences are or dislikes, I'm trying to skip/disregard evident marketing names