What's new

Kava Rash

Kevin1991

Kava Curious
Hi guys I have a friend who smoked about half a joint and smoked far too much since it was a special occasion (1 wedding anniversary) and had not been done in about 5 years, also he took some kava throughout the weekend (Kalm with Kava) along with a few extract pills to lengthen the kava session and also ingested it along with smoking half a joint. My friend also takes kava extract daily about 150MG to 200MG to help with sleep and to get past reverse tolerance, on sunday however my friend noticed that his skin almost lost sensitivity slightly almost like a slightly numb feeling not unlike the immediate effects after taking kava im told even though no kava was taken on sunday. The whole day his skin was less sensitive and slightly numb in some areas like the face, thinking nothing of it other than mixing weed with kava which was probably not a good idea he took 200MG kava extract monday night to help with sleep. Now that its Tuesday today my friend still has the slightly numb feeling on his skin, and now there is a rash forming on his chest and back. Is this a case of mixing kava with weed, or perhaps the extract pills are causing these symptoms. Is it ok for my friend to take the extract pills and use the prepared root at the same sitting in an attempt to preserve some of the root since its pricey and shipping takes a long time?
Also my friend said that he is waiting for the rash to go away until he takes anymore kava. For the record my friend has been taking kava for about three weeks.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Could be unrelated or a slight dermo that would have happened anyway. Probably unrelated to the combination, although because they potentiate each other, one should if consuming both reduce quantities of each to adjust for their mutually potentiating effect, IMO. As more and more of our aging population uses MMj this will become more and more important to consider, I think.

Fwiw I started to get something like that rash your friend has after about 3 weeks of drinking kava. It passed. But it's never a bad idea to cut down on the kava if it looks like it's causing a problem.

Kevin1991

Kava Curious
Could be unrelated or a slight dermo that would have happened anyway. Probably unrelated to the combination, although because they potentiate each other, one should if consuming both reduce quantities of each to adjust for their mutually potentiating effect, IMO. As more and more of our aging population uses MMj this will become more and more important to consider, I think.

Fwiw I started to get something like that rash your friend has after about 3 weeks of drinking kava. It passed. But it's never a bad idea to cut down on the kava if it looks like it's causing a problem.
Thanks, my friend is going to cut out kava until the weekend hinging on the condition of the rash. Since my friend very rarely smokes weed i doubt there would be any way to test if there is a reaction or if it was directly related to the kava. Hopefully kava can be consumed again by the weekend if the rash goes away. At any rate my friend said the two mixed were not all that great since weed has a very powerful affect on the body, he said if and when he ever did weed again at some other special ocasion it would be outside of kava consumption.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks, my friend is going to cut out kava until the weekend hinging on the condition of the rash. Since my friend very rarely smokes weed i doubt there would be any way to test if there is a reaction or if it was directly related to the kava. Hopefully kava can be consumed again by the weekend if the rash goes away. At any rate my friend said the two mixed were not all that great since weed has a very powerful affect on the body, he said if and when he ever did weed again at some other special ocasion it would be outside of kava consumption.
I don't know that they'd have to be considered contraindicated, just that one would probably want to adjust dosage to account for any potentiation and/or synergy.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Why not call it a "Joint Rash" or "extract rash"? Your mate smoked massive amounts of weed then took some mysterious "extract" and then got some rash. Who knows, maybe the rash resulted from weed? Or maybe from the dodgy eggs he had for breafast? Or from the weather? Or from none or all of the above?
I am sorry for your mate, but I'd recommend carefully examining all possible factors. Even if it was triggered by that "extract", extracts are not kava.
I dunno, I once drank a gallon of Squanch and it made me feel, I dunno, bloated I guess. So I drank more, another couple of gallons, and it didn't really make the bloated feeling go away. If anything, it made it worse. And then I felt kinda like I had to pee. I suppose could always toss n' wash the next time I want to do a half pound of Squanch but I honestly don't think it's going to make me feel any better. I think it's just something about Squanch. OTOH, it did enable me to see the Beatles perform live in concert again, so I guess it was worth it. Still, had to pee. A lot. I mean, a lot.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I get the skin numbing sensation, usually before the extreme dryness, redness and flaking that comes with dermo. The extracts probably will cause more side effects than they will benefits. If he thinks he has reverse tolerance or needs better sleep, buying a good instant would be much more effective than the extract pills. And obviously if he is going to combine them, he needs to choose strains that complement each other, like Krunkie mentioned.

Kevin1991

Kava Curious
I get the skin numbing sensation, usually before the extreme dryness, redness and flaking that comes with dermo. The extracts probably will cause more side effects than they will benefits. If he thinks he has reverse tolerance or needs better sleep, buying a good instant would be much more effective than the extract pills. And obviously if he is going to combine them, he needs to choose strains that complement each other, like Krunkie mentioned.
what can my friend expect after the skin numbing subsides? Will the rash spread even worse than it is? Its not quite a rash it actually looks closer to eczema...which my friend also gets from a bromine allergy. Its a chemical used to treat water in hot tubs, it causes eczema like skin conditions to the skin most likely due to an allergic reaction. The kava extract that was used to supplement while using the root and also in between the root was the Weber naturals brand i believe. As far as the weed not that much was even smoked, but since it was years since he last smoked pot it really hit hard.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I mainly get the numbing sensation on my hands. It's not going to get worse if he takes a break from the kava. Unless it's caused by something unrelated...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I dunno, I once drank a gallon of Squanch and it made me feel, I dunno, bloated I guess. So I drank more, another couple of gallons, and it didn't really make the bloated feeling go away. If anything, it made it worse. And then I felt kinda like I had to pee. I suppose could always toss n' wash the next time I want to do a half pound of Squanch but I honestly don't think it's going to make me feel any better. I think it's just something about Squanch. OTOH, it did enable me to see the Beatles perform live in concert again, so I guess it was worth it. Still, had to pee. A lot. I mean, a lot.
:ROFLMAO:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Idk about your friend. I haven't had any reactions with mmj and kava.
I can tell you I thought what I had was a kava rash or dermo. It got better and then it got worse. Went to the doctor and talked to her about the kava and she said absolutely not that because I had been taking it for long enough without a rash. She said I'm having an allergic reaction to my body wash. So anyways, while your friend did a lot of substances, it may not be that at all. You just don't know and should go see a doctor who can diagnose it properly. ::indeedsir::

Kevin1991

Kava Curious
Idk about your friend. I haven't had any reactions with mmj and kava.
I can tell you I thought what I had was a kava rash or dermo. It got better and then it got worse. Went to the doctor and talked to her about the kava and she said absolutely not that because I had been taking it for long enough without a rash. She said I'm having an allergic reaction to my body wash. So anyways, while your friend did a lot of substances, it may not be that at all. You just don't know and should go see a doctor who can diagnose it properly. ::indeedsir::
Just wanted to report back, im happy to report that the rash is gone. My friend is in good shape, drinks alot of water and works out what use to be 6 times a week, which has now turned to 3-4 times per week due to purchasing a large house that required a total gut and renovation the last 6 months, and also living with family during the renovation. Ironically part of the reason for seeking stress reduction in kava was the house. At any rate the wife applied moisture every night, and coconut oil was used on the face. The numbness has also subsided so some loa waka from kalm with kava was lined up to be sampled tonight, no more kava extract mixed either or at all really. Really overall not terrible since the bromine allergy was far worse which caused excema i would say this was a walk in the park.

Conclusively i can probably say that mixing THC and Kava should be done lightly and as always YMMV also that it should not be done regularly. I feel that the mix could have been what caused the strange dissociated skin numbness feeling for 6 days although it could have been the kava itself but i doubt it since i never really thought kava to be all that strong compared to THC. Lifting weights felt very strange, almost like not feeling "the burn". Either way my friend said that THC is not consumed regularly and prior to this its been years since the last time it was.

Last edited: