What's new

Kava reaction

jrm523

I found my way into Kava a while back. I was fascinated by the effects it produced with relatively minimal side effects. I first experimented with some instant MOI from GHK and then later purchased a sample pack of root powder that contained Borogu, Boroguru, Nangol Noble, Waka and Koniak. I loved them all. Toward the end of my sample pack I broke out with small bumps all over my chest and back. At the time I was taking antibiotics for acne and figured it just over dried my skin. By the time i booked my dermatologist appointment the irritation started to go down. It eventually went away. Sadly I gave Kava a break.

Fast forward until now.. (4 months later)...

I purchased some micronized awa mahakea from GHK. The other night i broke into it and did a tablespoon. I remember thinking man i really miss this taste.. I followed up with two more tablespoons spaced out 15 mins (a total of 3 tablespoons that night). I felt so relaxed and happy. The next morning I woke up in a good mood but then realized the other side effects. I was itching all over and could see i had somewhat blotchy skin. It wasn't a rash but looked like i had been running or something.

I purchased the micronized because i remember reading it may work better for some people who aren't as tolerant to normal root powder. Was my dosage too high for getting back into it? I am blown away that my first night doing it after being off it for four months would cause a reaction like this. Any help or insight is appreciated!

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I found my way into Kava a while back. I was fascinated by the effects it produced with relatively minimal side effects. I first experimented with some instant MOI from GHK and then later purchased a sample pack of root powder that contained Borogu, Boroguru, Nangol Noble, Waka and Koniak. I loved them all. Toward the end of my sample pack I broke out with small bumps all over my chest and back. At the time I was taking antibiotics for acne and figured it just over dried my skin. By the time i booked my dermatologist appointment the irritation started to go down. It eventually went away. Sadly I gave Kava a break.

Fast forward until now.. (4 months later)...

I purchased some micronized awa mahakea from GHK. The other night i broke into it and did a tablespoon. I remember thinking man i really miss this taste.. I followed up with two more tablespoons spaced out 15 mins (a total of 3 tablespoons that night). I felt so relaxed and happy. The next morning I woke up in a good mood but then realized the other side effects. I was itching all over and could see i had somewhat blotchy skin. It wasn't a rash but looked like i had been running or something.

I purchased the micronized because i remember reading it may work better for some people who aren't as tolerant to normal root powder. Was my dosage too high for getting back into it? I am blown away that my first night doing it after being off it for four months would cause a reaction like this. Any help or insight is appreciated!
Micronized kava can definitely be a factor here. Not only is it common to experience nausea, it's also common to more dermo than other forms of kava. I would try out some traditional medium grind of another variety to be see if you just hit some crazy allergic reaction to one type.

D

Deleted User01

I do Noble maka-less micronized about 5 times a week and I have no side effects except the shit-face grin that keeps reappearing on my face. Yeah, some guys are allergic to micronized kava. Others have sensitive stomachs. My system absorbs every bit of that kava and gives me happy happy results. Sorry about the allergy but who would have thought that peanuts could kill people. It happens. In reality, I'm allergic to Kava Powder since my trigger finger makes it really hard to squeeze and my schedule makes it really hard to find time to squeeze. So for me, micronized is a god sent and I have already done 2 tablespoons (shells) while I 'm tearing up the keyboard at work. No fuss no muss and lots of potency. I'm sure you will find a kava that meets your needs. Good luck!

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I found I am sensitive to certain cultivars. BUT I am coming to the conclusion that it may be the micronized version. I have tried a number of extracts and a few different medium grinds with no probs. That being said I never had skin issues (hives), that would be a deal breaker for me. Had hives once (with swollen lips) and it lasted for a few weeks. Never again if I can help it. Fiji loa from KWK works well with me, so does GHK medium grind hanakapi'ai and mahakea. I have learned to prep medium grind without all the makas and that helps. I have also had good results with moi instant from GHK.

jrm523

I may try and see if i can do very small amounts and work my way up to build a tolerance for it. Such a shame. I felt like a million bucks that night and the next morning (minus the skin issues).

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
On a side note.. I had absolutely no nausea with the GHK micronized mahakea.
I also enjoy the extracts from Kava Kava R US and just crave the chocolate mint from Paradice Kava. I will also drop a kava candy in my cold brew coffee. My cold brew is a weeks supply, so that one kava kandy is a nice touch, but don't conflict with each other.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I recon what I am saying is try other types. AS LONG AS your allergies don't get bad. My son and my wifu both have specific food allergies and keep an epi pen with them, so please take any consumption serious. Kava is nice but it's not worth your health or life.