What's new

Kava Recipes

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
One of the things most Kava users complain about is the taste, although some people like it and others like to drink it the Traditional way.

I was just wondering if any users out there have found any recipes to make it taste nice?

I think it would be interesting to try and who knows, it might get more people to dump alcohol and get into Kava :)

Anyone want to share a nice tasting combination?

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Melting a little baking chocolate into your kava can help with the bitterness. It seems counter intuitive, since cacao is also bitter, yet the combination works fine for me on the rare occasions when I don't drink kava neat.

Rooted Socialite has suggested adding anise (aka licorice flavoring). Sounds promising.

You might also try adding some coffee creamer.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I used to drink it straight, and still do; however, on some cultivars I add just a splash of juice. I usually use the Healthy Greens V8 juice, but will use any juice I have laying around. Even if it means dipping into the Hawaiian punch :p. I find if there is a kava that is too bitter to slam, this makes it go down very easy.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
One of the things most Kava users complain about is the taste, although some people like it and others like to drink it the Traditional way.

I was just wondering if any users out there have found any recipes to make it taste nice?

I think it would be interesting to try and who knows, it might get more people to dump alcohol and get into Kava :)

Anyone want to share a nice tasting combination?
If you search threads that have the kava recipe tag (with whatever keyword, I used kava preparation), you'll see many examples. We had a wiki created by @HeadHodge which was really awesome but not yet updated since we went to 2.1 on this platform, anyway, here is an example of a search and recipes.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
I was thinking on using Instant Kava with Oat Milk and Honey. I like putting honey in drinks LOL ... If I blend it all well it (might) taste nice :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I was thinking on using Instant Kava with Oat Milk and Honey. I like putting honey in drinks LOL ... If I blend it all well it (might) taste nice :)
My suggestion is avoid tasting it all, think of it as medicine you want to chug asap. Chug smaller amounts if it's easier.

As a first shell, I'll chug 1/2 a pint to a pint, wait 30 minute and do it again, works every time. I find a chaser more useful than mixing kava with anything else, it makes that something else taste off, my 2 go-tos are Ginger Beer or a glass of milk.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
One think, beverage wise, I really enjoy in life is fresh Raw carrot juice.

But when I take the proper carrot juice, blend it shortly in a nutribullet with raw sauerkraut....wow it's like Fanta orange fizzy drink. So tangy, like carbonated water even.

I haven't actually tried it with kava but it's so refreshing to the pallet I imagine it could at least work well as a chaser and refresher if not simply mixed into the kava drink itself.

I just keep them separately myself but I don't see why it may not work well to combine them.

The nutribullet really froths up the carrot, saurekraut juice too.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
My suggestion is avoid tasting it all, think of it as medicine you want to chug asap. Chug smaller amounts if it's easier.

As a first shell, I'll chug 1/2 a pint to a pint, wait 30 minute and do it again, works every time. I find a chaser more useful than mixing kava with anything else, it makes that something else taste off, my 2 go-tos are Ginger Beer or a glass of milk.
I totally see your point @Krunʞy, and yes that's the way it's supposed to be done and it's traditional, but having said that ... I'm sure that if you would have a Vanilla or strawberry or honey flavoured Kava you would enjoy it a lot more? I'm sure, most people would have it the traditional way, but having other options on the table could be beneficial, especially in commercial Kava Bars? Just a though from a Newbie :)

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I totally see your point @Krunʞy, and yes that's the way it's supposed to be done and it's traditional, but having said that ... I'm sure that if you would have a Vanilla or strawberry or honey flavoured Kava you would enjoy it a lot more? I'm sure, most people would have it the traditional way, but having other options on the table could be beneficial, especially in commercial Kava Bars? Just a though from a Newbie :)
Hi, regardimg instant kava, I may be a rare praticer of this approach, but I usually use my instant kavas as a spontaneous top up after the effects of a traditional root session have settled.

But I literally take the instant kava down with the smallest amount of water to just disssolve it all innthe glass and wash it down like a shot.

I typically weigh 5 or 6 grams, add maybe 25 ml water, stir it up, and "neck" as they say.

It works supremely well innterms of effectiveness. I really don't feel I need to add any more water, dilute it at all, for palatability or effects and absorption.

If anything, I'm inclined to feel it may work better for me this way, vs mixing into a full glass of water.

I think if the Aluballs had more volume, I would make mega concentrated Aluball preps too.

I try not to overfill them of course, and I can't help feel that a certain amount of water is required inside the Alubottle for a sufficient mechanical extraction of the actives.

Currently my approach, which is tweaked and varied over time, 8s double aluballs each shake. 12.5 grams in each. 1st wash I use about 550 ml, I would use less but I feel the more immersed the balls are in water, the fuller the mechanical seperation will be.

Second wash I try to use less than 300 ml water, which is really the minimum water quantitiy for a sufficient wash of two balls. I expect I sacrifice at least a few kavalactones on the second wash in order to avoid using too much water for my tastes.

If I was more energized I would use the blender more often. 50 grams to 1 litre water maximum. That way, small servings still pack a "punch" (I just recalled my youth days when I could tolerate alcohol allergenically, and now I have this picture of "Kava Punch", like a huge container in the party room. Multiple strainer bags being added continuously, icecubes, Fruit flavours, lime slices etc. I never pictured kava that way before.)

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Kava with Oat Milk:

OK, I've tried "Kava with Oat Milk" and it tastes great! It blends in very well and the taste is nice and still has the sweetness of the Oat Milk.

Next I'll try Kava with Oat Milk and a bit of Honey ... I'll report back on that too :)

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Have yoy tired prepa ting your ka va with natural sparkling springwater by any chance because I'm really curious about that combination the only reason I haven't tried it wash off this because of my allergies and an unusual sensitive spiritual reaction to the Natural spring water.

I amgine you couls abb anything cordial,andbend up with a delicious, unrecognizable maka drink.
No I've never tried that as I'm not really into sparkling drinks. Strange you have an allegy to it...maybe someone here has tried that before?

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Have yoy tired prepa ting your ka va with natural sparkling springwater by any chance because I'm really curious about that combination the only reason I haven't tried it wash off this because of my allergies and an unusual sensitive spiritual reaction to the Natural spring water.

I imgine you couls abb anything cordial,andbend up with a delicious, unrecognizable maka drink.
Before I tested my tap water, I was paranoid to use it for anything. So if I ran out of bottled spring water I would use all sorts of seltzer water and carbonated water. I rally want to try Topo Chico :p . I notice that it works perfectly well, but that the kneading process removes the carbonation. Raspberry or Orange flavored seltzer water was actually pretty good.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Before I tested my tap water, I was paranoid to use it for anything. So if I ran out of bottled spring water I would use all sorts of seltzer water and carbonated water. I rally want to try Topo Chico :p . I notice that it works perfectly well, but that the kneading process removes the carbonation. Raspberry or Orange flavored seltzer water was actually pretty good.
Yes that would be a factor. But I assume aluballing for a minute will leave enough carbonation.

Another option would maybe be to make the kava super concentrated and then dilute with fresh carbonated water.

I can't tolerarr carbonated water or anything else you mention, nomfruit juice, frut sugar or a billion other basic ingestible commodoties.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
This is interesting....

Using soda water is a well known way to extract stains from fabric (i.e. spilt red wine from a white shirt).

Alcohol is known to more efficiently extract kavatones from the kava root fibre.

So thinking a combo of seltzer/soda water with a dash of 200 proof everclear might be an effective way to create some strong grog with traditional prepping.

I would call it: "HeadHodges Hard Kava" !!

Last edited: