What's new

Kava Recipes

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
This is interesting....

Using soda water is a well known way to extract stains from fabric (i.e. spilt red wine from a white shirt).

Alcohol is known to more efficiently extract kavatones from the kava root fibre.

So thinking a combo of seltzer/soda water with a dash of 200 proof everclear might be an effective way to create some strong grog with traditional prepping.

I would call it: "HeadHodges Hard Kava" !!
Yes as long as the alcohol is entirely evaporated off, this approach may result in a potent extraction of kavalactones.
Using everclear or even ISO is a notorious method for extracting cannabinoids.

It can be as I say, fully evaporated, or some are happy to take the everclear, albeit in small servings via dropper, as a tincture.

Obviously we want always to avoid mixing alcohol and kava.

But I wonder if full evaporation of both Alcohol may be another effective way to make instant kava?

Jacob Bula

Nobody
This is interesting....

Using soda water is a well known way to extract stains from fabric (i.e. spilt red wine from a white shirt).

Alcohol is known to more efficiently extract kavatones from the kava root fibre.

So thinking a combo of seltzer/soda water with a dash of 200 proof everclear might be an effective way to create some strong grog with traditional prepping.

I would call it: "HeadHodges Hard Kava" !!
White Claw Vanuatu Edition

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Note: If you want to try Kava with Oat Milk and Honey don't warm up the milk as it will taste dry and bitter ... it's not nice at all :(

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yes as long as the alcohol is entirely evaporated off, this approach may result in a potent extraction of kavalactones.
Using everclear or even ISO is a notorious method for extracting cannabinoids.

It can be as I say, fully evaporated, or some are happy to take the everclear, albeit in small servings via dropper, as a tincture.

Obviously we want always to avoid mixing alcohol and kava.

But I wonder if full evaporation of both Alcohol may be another effective way to make instant kava?
I made some coconut oil kava awhile back by mixing my kava with everclear to fully extract the KL then mixing with coconut oil and boiling off all the alcohol. The coconut oil can then be stuck in the frig of freezer in small chunks for a quick kava coconut yummy shot. It was a lot of work but it came out great.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
I made some coconut oil kava awhile back by mixing my kava with everclear to fully extract the KL then mixing with coconut oil and boiling off all the alcohol. The coconut oil can then be stuck in the frig of freezer in small chunks for a quick kava coconut yummy shot. It was a lot of work but it came out great.
I'd love to learn more about how you did this!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I'd love to learn more about how you did this!
See the post right above yours. I linked to the old post where I discuss the process. It takes awhile to boil off the the everclear to leave just the oil. You might be able to do more direct process of extraction into the oil. As has been noted alcohol extractions pull out more FK than a water extraction so even using noble kava you may not want to use this as a daily. In the end it was fun, and I used a kava I didn't really like but it was not really worth it in terms of time or effort.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
it was not really worth it in terms of time or effort.
Yep, unless you're doing them commercially in large batches, the time and effort is quite a bit more than just brewing up a batch of standard grog. That's sorta how I left my instant experiment too. Really neat, and I learned from it, but for personal use it's just not worth the time.

KavaBobo

Kava Curious
One of the things most Kava users complain about is the taste, although some people like it and others like to drink it the Traditional way.

I was just wondering if any users out there have found any recipes to make it taste nice?

I think it would be interesting to try and who knows, it might get more people to dump alcohol and get into Kava :)

Anyone want to share a nice tasting combination?
Well it does taste like dirt being it comes from the ground. What I have discovered and I have mixed it with all kinds of juices is 100% Dole Pineapple juice(not from concentrate) along with a tablespoon of organic flax seed oil and candied ginger makes it go down easier and ginger cuts back on nausea…hth

KavaBobo

Kava Curious
Oh, I forgot to add that I hold my breath as I chug it…It’s certainly not to savor like an awesome beer or wine…that’s for sure!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Carbonized melon juice (Grepo) is good at masking even 1:10 but probably more like in the ballpark of 1:5. (Nangol kava, it is relatively tasty kava).

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Yep, unless you're doing them commercially in large batches, the time and effort is quite a bit more than just brewing up a batch of standard grog. That's sorta how I left my instant experiment too. Really neat, and I learned from it, but for personal use it's just not worth the time.
Did you ever try making a concentrate? Basically, make a strong batch with water, then evaporate most of the water? I'm wondering what the highest temp I can get away with is, so as not to destroy the kavalactones. I'm thinking crock pot, low heat, long time. The "keep warm" temp of my Powerfryer XL is 160F, in crockpot mode. That *seems safe.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried Kava with Oat Milk and Honey and it tastes amaZing :)
But something is happening to me.
The more I get into Kava and learn about it, the more I think that I should be having it the traditional way, which has a taste that I don't have a problem with. :)

I see that you use Oat Milk for the taste, but I'm just curious if Oat Milk has any effect on potency - whether stronger or wearker ?