What's new

Kava review system

MikeNMissy

Kava Curious
Many of the kava reviews are from a couple years ago. Are they still valid? Generally how long will a certain harvested batch be available for consumers? And can we assume that root grown in 2017 compared to root harvested today will be the same in efficacy? In other words, I see a review for a samoan awa from 2017. If I buy that same mention today can I use the review from 2 years ago or would this be a newer batch and need an updated review?

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Many of the kava reviews are from a couple years ago. Are they still valid? Generally how long will a certain harvested batch be available for consumers? And can we assume that root grown in 2017 compared to root harvested today will be the same in efficacy? In other words, I see a review for a samoan awa from 2017. If I buy that same mention today can I use the review from 2 years ago or would this be a newer batch and need an updated review?
definitely a newer batch. Nobody has written reviews in awhile. I ran into this problem while looking for my next purchase too. But then again I cannot complain because i havent written one after my purchase.

Its best to ask somebody you know on here, especially if they prefer same type of kava as you.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Yes and No, different batches or harvests will have variations but tend to remain similar in chemotype. I agree with greenbeen in that someone who writes more reviews, may have a better answer. Someone like @sɥɐʞɐs might offer some better insight.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Over the years a particular kava you purchase can vary subtly or drastically. If you buy a single source cultivar, that continues to be from the same source through the years, the variances won't be as extreme from year to year. Even in that case, more noticeable differences may emerge. Just as an example, GHK may sell a particular cultivar, like Mo'i, but not all of his Mo'i plants have necessarily been cloned from the same plant. Many will be clones of the same plant, but he may have acquired Mo'i cuttings from different sources over the years and those plants could differ a bit, psychoactively. So, the others, while still being "Mo'i" and sold as "Mo'i" and morphologically appearing to be "Mo'i" won't necessarily have the exact same effect as "the one" you had "that time". But it will still likely be in the general vibe.

Mass produced kava blends and the most popular cultivars that come from big wholesale operations have a greater chance of changing more significantly. They are selling so much, that they have to source from many different locations. And that can lead to batches being different. Even in this case things can stay pretty steady, but things like the rising popularity of kava and cyclone damage to crops can hinder the usual flow of kava and require wholesalers to suddenly find new sources.

On top of all that, kava can be affected by the amount of sun it got, the health of the soil it was is, the amount of rain it had, the way it was dried, the way it was processed etc... all can change the resulting beverage.

TL;DR - Old reviews are a good general guideline, and can even be valid for a few years sometimes, but they are most accurate when describing a current batch.