What's new

Kava Root

Irish88

Kava Curious
Where can I order stronger Kava than the Borogu or Pouni Ono from KWK? I might be expecting too much from the Kava experience but it's not doing too much for me. I've tried 6 heaping tablespoons and it does give me a mild relaxed feeling. I have nothing against KWK and maybe they have a stronger root powder. I would appreciate any suggestions or let me know if I should lower my expectations. Thanks

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I was quite dissappointed with the KWK Borogu when I tried it last year - very weak. I bought 4lbs and ended up using about 1/4lb to 1 liter hot water in a 1 liter blender to get any effect. It doesnt compare at all to borogu I have had in Vanuatu, which can take your legs away very easily.
So I think most kavas will give you a stronger effect than this one. Have you tried Kava Time? They are always quality

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Borogu is mild in my experience, try Melo Melo or Nangol Noble. For strong Kava? drink Fijian Waka, good quality such as Squanch

Kava from Vanuatu is excellent and can be strong,I'm giving ideas. I've found Vanuatu Kava to be very enjoyable, and that in these "not strong" Kavas, there is plenty of passion to experience. I have found Borogu mild like you say yet it's tasty and uplifting also. Not many Kavas I've found with a black pepper taste like that.

Irish88

Kava Curious
Thanks for the advice. Are there any Kavas that are similar to alcohol? I really enjoy drinking liquor but I would like to find a healthier alternative.

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
After 20 years of drinking kava after 20 years of drinking alcohol I wish I ciould say drink this brand of kava and it will feel just like the great Buzz you got from alcohol but I cant because to my knowledge it doesnt exist because the feeling for me is way different and BETER the kava feeling I like is heady and euophoric with just a better overall feeling in your body now you have to get the right kava for you and what it does for you to get to where you want to be Iam sure other people on this forum will chime in with their experiences

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Where can I order stronger Kava than the Borogu or Pouni Ono from KWK? I might be expecting too much from the Kava experience but it's not doing too much for me. I've tried 6 heaping tablespoons and it does give me a mild relaxed feeling. I have nothing against KWK and maybe they have a stronger root powder. I would appreciate any suggestions or let me know if I should lower my expectations. Thanks
One thing to keep in mind is that the strongest kava isn't going to leave the South Pacific. It's so ubiquitous in the countries that regularly export kava that they generally give us the kava that wouldn't sell locally but would sell abroad. We can get a few batches of strong kava but we're at the mercy of generosity of the kava farmers growing it. This is speculative but believable if not probable. If you had the best apples in the world and people wanted to give you money for them, there's only so much money you could take before you run out of apples for yourself. But I like to think that some people in the South Pacific want to share their strongest root with the world, however much they can spare.

Another thing is that kava is very perishable. There's a lot of the good stuff that makes kava work that gets lost when they dry it so that it can become more shelf-stable. Kalm with Kava and Kava Society's Pacific Root beverage is a mother****ing miracle and I highly recommend splurging at least once in a while on a pack of those. But it's not something you drink in high volume like you would grog made out of dry root. The kava industry is rapidly changing, overall for the better. We may have more options for "green kava" in the near future.

To focus on there here and now, if you're still buying from Kalm with Kava, try the Borongoru. Much stronger than Borogu on average. Bula Kava House's Nambawan is a worthy contender to the title of its namesake "Number One." While these vendors try to offer consistent product, kava crops can vary year by year. The farmers can have a good year with strong root or a bad year with either not enough strong root to spare, or kava roots of lower strength. Be prepared for lack of consistency in that regard. Luckily, you have other options for vendors. They all have different suppliers more or less.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks for the advice. Are there any Kavas that are similar to alcohol? I really enjoy drinking liquor but I would like to find a healthier alternative.
As a general rule I would say stick to heavy kavas, they are more likely to give you a feeling somewhere near that of alcohol.

Irish88

Kava Curious
You guys seem to know your kava and thank you for sharing. I am going for the Borongoru and looking forward to it.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I have the opposite opinion of @Edward, I think headier, or maybe balanced, kavas are closer to alcohol. Heavy kavas have a body buzz kind of like an indica, and are more sedating than alcohol, at least than just a few drinks of alcohol. You'll pass out from too much alcohol. Not from too much kava.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have the opposite opinion of @Edward, I think headier, or maybe balanced, kavas are closer to alcohol. Heavy kavas have a body buzz kind of like an indica, and are more sedating than alcohol, at least than just a few drinks of alcohol. You'll pass out from too much alcohol. Not from too much kava.
It goes to show how kava is different for everyone!

Irish88

Kava Curious
I am going to try the Borongoru and I won't be too picky between the heavy or headier as long as there's some action.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
If your looking for sheer strength over all else try kavatime's ambae or try nambawan or melo melo from Bula kava house. Those are all too strong for me to take more than a little of.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
If your looking for sheer strength over all else try kavatime's ambae or try nambawan or melo melo from Bula kava house. Those are all too strong for me to take more than a little of.
@Irish88 Borongoru is a good pick. You'll enjoy it. When you're looking for more, I keep hearing great things about Kava Time's Ambae and I totally forgot about Melo Melo. I haven't had Melo Melo myself but I also hear good results with it, so @ThePiper isn't steering you wrong either.

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
I mean simply put kava will never give you the feeling of alcohol and will never get you really messed up. I mean I've definitely had moments like WOW kava comes to mind where after 4 shells I wouldn't get in a car.it's kinda like chamomile tea ×20 with added muscle relaxation or if you've ever taken anti- anxiety meds kinda like that but again with extra muscle relaxation. If your looking to get messed up try other botanicals I hear alot of states have legalized a certain one that if you eat it, ( edibles)it's the healthiest way to ingest.