What's new

Kava Culture Kava Rootz - Arcia Tecun (Video)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava Rootz
Author: Arcia Tecun

Abstract
This documentary film is a result of multi-sited ethnographic research between 2015-2019, which explores cultural identity, gender, music, and spirituality through contemporary and common kava practices. Drawing from over 17 years of participation in kava communities, this film is grounded in Tongan experiences, while also including a mobile and expanding Moana/Wansolwara/Oceanic perspective with contributions from Fijians, Sāmoans, Māori, and more. The knowledge holders in this film span across four territories, including Te Ika a Māui in Aotearoa, Utah (US) on Turtle Island, The Kingdom of Tonga, and Kamberra, Australia. They share a complex web of experiences, purpose, and tensions within the contemporary practices of common kava gatherings known in Tongan as faikava. Contemporary kava gatherings are spaces to release the pressures of modern life, nurture ancestral and social relationships, reveal truths, build community, produce and transmit knowledge, negotiate identity, heal, and foster positive well-being through comradery and openness. This film cannot cover all of the complexity of kava culture, yet attempts to be a meaningful introduction to the dynamic practices that are alive and expanding throughout the world.

https://doi.org/10.15845/jaf.v5i01.2844

Last edited:

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Kava Rootz
Author: Arcia Tecun

Abstract
This documentary film is a result of multi-sited ethnographic research between 2015-2019, which explores cultural identity, gender, music, and spirituality through contemporary and common kava practices. Drawing from over 17 years of participation in kava communities, this film is grounded in Tongan experiences, while also including a mobile and expanding Moana/Wansolwara/Oceanic perspective with contributions from Fijians, Sāmoans, Māori, and more. The knowledge holders in this film span across four territories, including Te Ika a Māui in Aotearoa, Utah (US) on Turtle Island, The Kingdom of Tonga, and Kamberra, Australia. They share a complex web of experiences, purpose, and tensions within the contemporary practices of common kava gatherings known in Tongan as faikava. Contemporary kava gatherings are spaces to release the pressures of modern life, nurture ancestral and social relationships, reveal truths, build community, produce and transmit knowledge, negotiate identity, heal, and foster positive well-being through comradery and openness. This film cannot cover all of the complexity of kava culture, yet attempts to be a meaningful introduction to the dynamic practices that are alive and expanding throughout the world.

https://doi.org/10.15845/jaf.v5i01.2844

Thumbs up on the video! I know several people in this video!

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
This makes me want to start a kava club.

You should! It will save you money on buying Kava & you could share your experience with us on Kava Forums..
I helped a friend I used to play rugby with start his own Kava Club.. They started with only 4 members in 2019.. They now have 23 members!
They make frequent visits to the Polynesian Kava Clubs here in Colorado & also make road trips to visit Kava Clubs in Utah & Missouri..

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Today it is still common for people to have a meal after going to faikava or to 'chase' the kava with something sweet. This may include fruits, lollies or even sweet sounding music representing 'to' (sugarcane).
This gives us an interesting look at all the threads relating to the 'how to's' of the potentialization of kava.

The philosophy of balance between bitter and sweet, sacrifice and blessing, conflict and resolve, is nurtured in this manner.
This stood out to me.

Great vid!