What's new

Kava Sediment

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Seen as I'm nearly out of the last bit of Solomons Kava I bought, I'm wondering what the sediment on the bottom of the bowl can be used for? If I tried to ingest it, would it just make me nauseous? I'm just trying to be cost effective, and to manage my disappointment.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I know I'm gonna regret being a jerk about kava once I finally quiet down and listen to it, but oh well, I'm not one to give up that easily.

What's unique about the Aluball besides that it's quick and easy?

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
packs a good punch, considering you can only fit about 2 tbs in it & has a very good 80 micron filter (I believe it's 80).
I usually do traditional prep and use 1/3 of a cup to 1/2 cup of root at a time, a pound goes quick that way.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Seen as I'm nearly out of the last bit of Solomons Kava I bought, I'm wondering what the sediment on the bottom of the bowl can be used for? If I tried to ingest it, would it just make me nauseous? I'm just trying to be cost effective, and to manage my disappointment.
There is a trade off with sediment, as @EQ says there is a lot of good stuff in there but the more you ingest the more likely you are to get stomach discomfort. A certain amount is usually ok but I find it better to strain through a single nylon to get rid of the bulk of the root and then through another, finer strainer to get rid of a bit more of the finer sediment. It means I need to use a little bit more root to get the same effects but I rarely get really bad nausea that way.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
If I drink up too much sediment in the mix I always get tremendous farts the next day too. But a little is fine. I do 3 passes through fine dernier ankle stockings and there is always a film of sediment in the bottom of the bowl that needs stirring back in before taking out each shell.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I know I'm gonna regret being a jerk about kava once I finally quiet down and listen to it, but oh well, I'm not one to give up that easily.

What's unique about the Aluball besides that it's quick and easy?
The sediment is important to me. Without it I feel very little from kava. Flip side is too much can cause upset stomach in some. Luckily years of drinking and shitty food have given me an iron gut.

Pretty much it man. Quick and easy. Using a smaller amount in an Alu batch keeps me from over prepping/consuming.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The sediment is important, but so is the micron size of your filter. If you are using a very coarse filter, then too much sediment might upset your stomach. But if you use a decent filter, like an 80 micron nut milk bag, it will be fine. Actually I always stir my kava before drinking it to avoid the sediment settling to the bottom. It's weaker if you don't do that.

verticity

I'm interested in things
My filter is the one that is given for free with any order from Cactus Kava, I believe it is 80 microns. I drank not even a half cup of some very sediment-laden kava last night and had some encouraging results. My neck and upper back muscles relaxed fully for the first time in a long time, what a glorious feeling.
The Cactus Kava filters are good ones. I use them all the time.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You can soak/knead them in hot water to clear them up for a bit but the staining is pretty much harmless

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Ok good, kava smells pretty bad when left out for awhile so I was hoping the staining didn't have anything to do with that, or that it wasn't harmful.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The staining is likely due to kavalactones and flavokavains which are not water soluble. The stinky smell of old kava is due to starches being digested. So the filter stains don't have bacteria or anything, they are "just chemicals" (and yes, EVERYTHING is chemicals, but you know what I mean: no little life forms)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I drank not even a half cup of some very sediment-laden kava last night and had some encouraging results. My neck and upper back muscles relaxed fully for the first time in a long time, what a glorious feeling.
Now you're getting it :)