What's new

Kava seized by swedish customs *UPDATE*

Jean

Kava Curious
Not surprising, might be due to the new tax rule for everything coming outside Europe since the 1st of July. Before shipping to Europe, a declaration about the value should be given by the vendor and additional taxes (from the first cent onward on the shipment value) should be paid in advance. Otherwise it is stopped at the border and of course draws the attention. If you are lucky you will only be charged (taxes and maybe also some working fees) and get your kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
German officials have been tapping other countries on the shoulder lately and reminding them of how "liver toxic" kava is....again with no damn confirmed evidence. I would say I'm surprised, but this seems to be the classic MO at this point.

I'd love to get a list of emails of the people involved in this, because I'd really like to get their side of the story of why they can't read and comprehend research papers. I want to see their evidence because it's obviously something the entire world isn't privy to.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
German officials have been tapping other countries on the shoulder lately and reminding them of how "liver toxic" kava is....again with no damn confirmed evidence. I would say I'm surprised, but this seems to be the classic MO at this point.

I'd love to get a list of emails of the people involved in this, because I'd really like to get their side of the story of why they can't read and comprehend research papers. I want to see their evidence because it's obviously something the entire world isn't privy to.
Well the Pharma industry is big in Germany.
I dont think they wish a legalizing of kava.
They probably would like to make a medicine based on kava that they patent and earn a profit on.
One can assume that authorities are closely connected to the industry.

What is obvious in this how this is enforced in different eu countries.

Some countries do have more strict view regarding this.

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
Funny thing with these new taxes (we also have them in Germany now) is that I got two times my US-ordered Kava without problems. I only had to pay the taxes to the DHL mail man. The packages were opened by the customs to see what it is and how much it costs… but their only interest was to get these taxes.
In earlier times an opening of the package by the customs resulted always in a loss because it got seized.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Funny thing with these new taxes (we also have them in Germany now) is that I got two times my US-ordered Kava without problems. I only had to pay the taxes to the DHL mail man. The packages were opened by the customs to see what it is and how much it costs… but their only interest was to get these taxes.
In earlier times an opening of the package by the customs resulted always in a loss because it got seized.
My case is if they will deside if kava is medicine. If so it's not allowed to import by mail. And my shipment will be seized.
Regarding taxes I have been asked questions by the couriers customs clearance agents about the contents. So they could apply the correct taxes.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
The kava from Nakamal@home got seized

Due to the fact that it contained kavain and the was a dosage advice on the package.

I have attached the report from swedish customs.
Its in swedish, use google translate to translate it

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That is quite disappointing.

ASSIGNMENT TO EXAMINE THE PRESENCE OF DRUGS, DOPPING MEDICINES, MEDICINES
OR DANGEROUS GOODS
SURVEY MATERIALS AND RESULTS
Material 1:
Your material designation: TV212-BP2021-4910-5O-1
Appearance: Brown powder.
Quantity submitted: 500 g
Amount consumed: 0.16 g
Packing: Nakamal at Home, Stone KAVA, 100% Dried & Ground Kava Root, Net wt: 500
grams / 17.6 oz, 25 grams of kava root per 1 quart of
water.
Demonstrated result: Kavain
Cava is not a drug, doping substance or dangerous to health
be in accordance with the regulations and laws mentioned below.

Analysis technique: GC / MS
Information: Quantity submitted according to unopened packaging.
The material is covered by the Pharmaceuticals Act due to the alleged
the content of Kava and dosage indications.
Material 2: Your material designation: TV212-BP2021-4910-5O-2
Appearance: Light brown powder.
Quantity submitted: 250 g
Amount consumed: 0.32 g
Packing: Nakamal at Home, SINGLE CHEMOTYPE KAVA, EPIK KAVA, 100% Dried &
Ground Kava Root, Net wt: 250 grams / 8.18 oz, 25
grams of kava root per 1 quart of water.
Demonstrated result: Kavain
Cava is not a drug, doping substance or dangerous to health
be in accordance with the regulations and laws mentioned below.

Analysis technique: GC / MS
Information: Quantity submitted according to unopened packaging.
The material is covered by the Pharmaceuticals Act due to the alleged
the content of Kava and dosage indications

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I wonder how they would perceive kava from GHK.
There is nothing written on those packages except for the content.
That would depend on if the labeling is what caused them to analyze with CG/MS or if they would have done it anyway. Seems costly to do on a package that clearly states it's contents.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
That would depend on if the labeling is what caused them to analyze with CG/MS or if they would have done it anyway. Seems costly to do on a package that clearly states it's contents.
Well taxpayers money at work, i would have a problem of they did find other (illegal) substances than kava in the sample.

Shaman-warrior

Kava Curious
I have a package of botanical products (not kava) stuck in Germany for almost 3 months. I keep getting excuses from them, when one excuse ends another starts.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Michael Nielsen as I keep trying to tell people, my kava looks expensive but I have never had a shipment to Sweden stopped. Just a thought.

It's a regular conversation cycle that I have with people in the UK... Why is your kava so expensive? I answer... radio silence... 1 month later... my kava has been stopped in customs, will I get it? ... 2 weeks later... can I buy some kava please? ............

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
@Michael Nielsen as I keep trying to tell people, my kava looks expensive but I have never had a shipment to Sweden stopped. Just a thought.

It's a regular conversation cycle that I have with people in the UK... Why is your kava so expensive? I answer... radio silence... 1 month later... my kava has been stopped in customs, will I get it? ... 2 weeks later... can I buy some kava please? ............
Well my orders wasn't stopped until now.

If I should order kava it would be from another eu country.

Jean

Kava Curious
@Michael The polish kavaha has informed you just above that it is still selling and shipping kava from Poland, as does Olympia (I've just got my kava from Olympia a few days ago). However, looking at the prices, it is clear that ordering from and to Europe is expensive and de facto somebody like , e.g. Edward is not more expensive than the polish providers. On my side, I will safely order from Europe, at the end it is surely less costly than to order outside Europe, saving 30% of the price but having only half of the orders delivered, the rest being seized.