What's new

Kava Stem Powder

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Wondering if anyone knows exactly why stems are considered unsafe for consumption. I know that various studies have referred to ethnobotanical descriptions of the stems being "toxic" as described by indigenous islanders.

I just tried a Fijian Kava made wholly from the stems of the plant and sold by Pacific Kava as "Lawena." I must say that the effects weren't particularly good. Very strong, very calming but then they began to cause nervous tension. I felt a little clammy, shaky, and dizzy. I am not happy. The stems are known to be loaded with kavalactones, which seems to bring the initial euphoria. But this gives way to a second wave of sick-feeling tension. This must be related to the toxicity.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Ugh. The feeling evolved into a headache and severe tiredness. Not a good combo. Don't want to take ibuprofen for fear of my liver's health.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Weird. I emailed them and the response was along the lines of: "Not the stems but the stem part of the root. The stems have no kavalactones."

I don't know what the stem part of the root is, and kava stems have loads of kavalactones in them. So they are being dishonest on two fronts.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Vesuvio Cat said:
Weird. I emailed them and the response was along the lines of: "Not the stems but the stem part of the root. The stems have no kavalactones."

I don't know what the stem part of the root is, and kava stems have loads of kavalactones in them. So they are being dishonest on two fronts.
They are probably referring to the root stump or at least trying to make it sound that way. Either way you really want to get a clear answer on that. It's important.

Stems and leaves of the kava plant contain an alkaloid called Pipermethystine. It can severely disrupt and destroy mitochondrial function of the liver cells. I've had to do a little reading farther into it and I don't understand it all but I can tell you this much...it's pretty bad. It does a few more not-so-good things than this but it's a little too technical for me to type out without understand it a little better. Here is a small part of it though...

"loss of cell membrane asymmetry and attachment, cell shrinkage, nuclear fragmentation,chromatin condensation, and chromosomal DNA fragmentation."

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
I Tip My Hat to the one who will experiment with ALL kavas, however full of rubbish they may be. Very professional, and what real research is all about.
Glad you recovered :)
Adil G.

From what I have read, Pacific Kava splits up the two distinctive types of root in a particular plant.  There is the crown or heart root that is larger in diameter and usually lighter in color, and the lateral or stem root that look more like a typical root. Usually the powder we get contains both, but Pacific Kava "Waka" contains only the crown root while the "Lawena" contains only the lateral. Perhaps when they say "the stems have no kavalactones", they are still referring to the lateral root and the fact that they have a different concentration of kavalactones than the crown?

Not very good marketing to use the term "stem", eh?

I am not certain of this information as I have never actually seen a living Kava plant and am not very familiar with the anatomy or the chemical makeup... but I hope this is true and perhaps it will make you feel better about the company?  I don't think you were poisoned, for whatever it's worth. The effects of the lateral root were likely unpleasant/unfamiliar in the absence of the crown root balance. Maybe mix a little of their Waka in next time? Interesting experiment...

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
kechara5 said:
From what I have read, Pacific Kava splits up the two distinctive types of root in a particular plant.  There is the crown or heart root that is larger in diameter and usually lighter in color, and the lateral or stem root that look more like a typical root. Usually the powder we get contains both, but Pacific Kava "Waka" contains only the crown root while the "Lawena" contains only the lateral. Perhaps when they say "the stems have no kavalactones", they are still referring to the lateral root and the fact that they have a different concentration of kavalactones than the crown?

Not very good marketing to use the term "stem", eh?

I am not certain of this information as I have never actually seen a living Kava plant and am not very familiar with the anatomy or the chemical makeup... but I hope this is true and perhaps it will make you feel better about the company?  I don't think you were poisoned, for whatever it's worth. The effects of the lateral root were likely unpleasant/unfamiliar in the absence of the crown root balance. Maybe mix a little of their Waka in next time? Interesting experiment...
I hope they really did just mislabel that. It says "Pure and fresh dried kava stem powder" on the website. Epic face palm if that's a typo.

... oh, no...

I just looked at their website again and I can't for the life of me see where I got the "different root sections" theory from...

Wishful thinking (who does that!?), perhaps?