What's new

Kava Candy Review Kava Stress Candy

Butch

Kava Curious
The convenience of the candy is phenomenal. I don't know of any other kava product as discreet, small, and easy to use as these things. The price is also a noteworthy plus. In the US, you can get a 2 pack sampler for $5 ($5!!!). 8 pieces per pack, each pack is about $3 on average, and each pack can provide 4 good kava breaks. That's about 75 cents to kill off stress for a few hours. Awesome!

If I had a complaint, it would be the texture and taste. It's more like taking a throat lozenge than an actual piece of candy, but i'm fine with that. The taste is pretty good, and I would like to see more variety. The orange flavor is tried and true for covering up bitterness, but I would prefer a strawberry or blueberry as well.

My applause to Steve at Ozia.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Great review, @Butch!

Makes me want to order up a case of those. Still on my to-do list when I'm not in post-ordering-frenzy regret from a late night shopping spree for ground root.

Kavo

Curandero
Nice one thanks Butch!

I think mine is at the P.O. over the weekend as Friday was a Public Holiday....aaargh ;)

@Steve what about Xylitol mate?
Antibacterial,should keep well and is sweet.
it's used in Nasal sprays for infections too and had no probs with it for weeks after a drunk dude smashed my nose in:meh:

Last time I had Sorbitol it gave me bad headaches,jaw tension....(fingers crossed)

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Nice one thanks Butch!

I think mine is at the P.O. over the weekend as Friday was a Public Holiday....aaargh ;)

it's used in Nasal sprays for infections too and had no probs with it for weeks after a drunk dude smashed my nose in:meh:

Last time I had Sorbitol it gave me bad headaches,jaw tension....(fingers crossed)
I tend not to do well with sugar alcohols in terms of my digestive system, which is angered by anything, really. I still have to try it, even if it might cause some burning.

Butch

Kava Curious
Eating absurdly unhealthy candy as a kid has made me immune to bad sugars. You guys can probably relate :p

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
@Butch - thanks a lot for the thoughful review. hope i can work on the taste and keep making it better. On the next batch, i slight changed the lemon balm so I am hoping that may soften the edges...still hard to hide that bitter kava while making it functional.

@Kavo - xylitol would be a great idea. I looked into some different ingredients that might work but the hard part is actually "packing it together" to make it stay. Will keep at it for sure. thanks again guys!

Butch

Kava Curious
@Steve - If it's not too much of a data compromise, it might be worthwhile to post your process so we might suggest ingredients/changes/prep alterations. Your product has massive potential.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Seems like ingredients/prep/process would be proprietary and confidential info any business guy wouldn't want to hand out. Steve's the only one selling kava candy like this, so I wouldn't expect anything specific :)

Kavo

Curandero
Seems like ingredients/prep/process would be proprietary and confidential info any business guy wouldn't want to hand out. Steve's the only one selling kava candy like this, so I wouldn't expect anything specific :)
I agree mate and I think Steve is very nice and friendly. I wouldn't be putting my hard work out there for others to copy after creating an alternative delivery method.

specops

Kava Curious
After a while of using the candys I had problems with burning eyes - don't know if this was the sorbitol
Xylitol would be great! Good taste and I read that it also has anti caries proberties

verticity

I'm interested in things
After a while of using the candys I had problems with burning eyes - don't know if this was the sorbitol
Xylitol would be great! Good taste and I read that it also has anti caries proberties
Could actually be dermopathay, but that would take a long time of continued heavy use. Never heard of sorbitol causing burning eyes. Or it could be unrelated to kava.
The most common side effect of sugar-alcohols like sorbitol and xylitol is gastrointestinal problems (laxative effect).
Interestingly, though, the sugar alcohol erythritol apparently does not have this effect.

Last edited:

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Could actually be dermopathay, but that would take a long time of continued heavy use. Never heard of sorbitol causing burning eyes. Or it could be unrelated to kava.
The most common side effect of sugar-alcohols like sorbitol and xylitol is gastrointestinal problems (laxative effect).
Interestingly, though, the sugar alcohol erythritol apparently does not have this effect.
Really? Erythritol?

Kavo

Curandero
Not sure, though the FD&C colour could very well cause it or as @verticity said,it may be unrelated?
It's not out of the question though as after my first(and only :cry:) candy(which was frikkin awesome!!),my left TMJ swelled and I had a severe headache which lasted all night.
I've removed a lot of additives,colours,flavours etc over the years and know that Coal Tar and Azo Dye's have caused this particular reaction as has Sorbitol. I wouldn't go anywhere near Aspartame again either. This was mainly due to the damage that Pharmaceuticals do to the digestive and immune system which is also well known, so I had to go through an elimination diet(major pain in the arse, but well worthwhile).
I sent some links to @Steve about this to ponder as well from our food intolerance network here as all these added chemicals have been very well documented.
Basically all Sugar Alcohol sweeteners don't digest,thus the gastro problems many suffer. I'm not 100% sure which of the 2 was the culprit with me(maybe both?) but I didn't have problems with Xylitol years back with the Nasal spray.
Sweeteners can be a hard one as Steve knows, as even Organic Stevia can have adverse reactions to those who are sensitive to the Ragweed Family.