What's new

Kava suddenly giving me negative, as opposed to positive effects

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I'm never quick to blame Kava for really anything at all, I've been consuming it for roughly 3 years, regularly, up until a few months ago. I slowly developed the lack of ability to feel it's effects. Assuming it was some sort of tolerance, I withheld usage for a few months. When I returned, I noticed serious hangover-like effects from Kava, to the point of thinking the Kava I was using was tainted somehow. I shrugged it off, and tried using a different, headier variety which I had no issues with in the past. It had the same effects, the full next day, I felt extremely bogged down, nauseated, nearly to the point of throwing up, even later in the day, etc. This has repeated a few times following kava use. This is entirely new for me, and never used to happen. I used to shell up quite a bit nightly with no issues, great sleep, and wonderful anxiety relief. I've always remained hydrated very well, I keep electrolytes in my body extra during kava usage.

Unfortunate that I'm experiencing this but, I'm keeping hope that hopefully one day this will subside and I can continue normal usage.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
The next day is pretty much consumed by a headache, nausea, even occasional vomiting, and intense malaise. I find it hard to believe it's the Kava itself, unless my body has developed some sort of like, resistance to it? I know I've read some threads on here before, far and few between, that people suddenly and sporadically develop a Kava allergy, even after regular usage.

Also: I've only ever used noble kava from several different reputable vendors, BKH, KWK, N@H, etc. Prep method has always been aluball or with a strainer bag.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
The only thing i can think of is, did you start any medications during your break that could now be interacting with the kava?