What's new

Kava Supply Chain Disruptions (COVID-19)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Kava prices in the Suva market have dropped by as much as 50% since late last year. The drop is attributed to domestic oversupply as a result of the covid19-related crash in export demand.
The price of one kilogram of kava has dropped by almost fifty percent due to a decrease in demand from international markets and local consumption.
FBC News visited the Suva market and discovered that a kilogram that would’ve cost you as much as $150 late last year, is now being sold at $70 to $50.

Sakiusa Sorovi a vendor who has been selling for twenty years say they have no choice but to reduce prices in an effort to clear stock.

Sorovi says he never faced such a downturn.
Vendors have attributed the drop in kava prices to the impact of COVID-19.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
That's odd, I would think the demand would be higher than ever now.
I estimate at least 20% of the working population are either out of work or on reduced salaries. The pre-covid price of kava in Fiji was astronomical by local standards so it was probably one of the first items to be cut by households on a tight budget.
And then on top of that we had (1) a ban on all social gatherings, (2) a ban on drinking kava with anyone outside your household, and (3) a nationwide curfew (was 8pm to 5am but is now 10pm to 5am).
Given all the above, plummeting local demand was to be expected.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
And then on top of that we had (1) a ban on all social gatherings, (2) a ban on drinking kava with anyone outside your household, and (3) a nationwide curfew (was 8pm to 5am but is now 10pm to 5am).
Given all the above, plummeting local demand was to be expected.
It's insane to me to see similar restrictions as in my state in NY halfway around the globe.

MokiAwa

Kava Curious
I am still growing, harvesting and selling my kava. There are a lot of people that are buying my kava now, I guess because there are others that are sold out, I am not sure. One thing is for sure, I have been going at it to try to keep up on orders.
Please everyone, stay safe. Aloha.

Chris
I got a reserve from you. HI to MA in 3 days.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I got a reserve from you. HI to MA in 3 days.
That is great but are you aware that there is a required 14 day quarantine at your cost before you can go and do anything. So you have to say in your hotel room for 14 days before you can go anywhere. I have heard that some have been arrested for breaking the quarantine and some have been sent back to the mainland.
Just wanted to let you know.

Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
That is great but are you aware that there is a required 14 day quarantine at your cost before you can go and do anything. So you have to say in your hotel room for 14 days before you can go anywhere. I have heard that some have been arrested for breaking the quarantine and some have been sent back to the mainland.

Chris
As Chris writes-- if a tourist gets caught violating the 14 day quarantine they will be arrested and their picture likely will appear on Hawaii News Now for days and days. Fact is the quarantine means you stay in your hotel room for 2 weeks. Yesterday the powers that be began talk of allowing pre-tested folks to come here and there would be no quarantine period...but that is a plan in the works.

MokiAwa

Kava Curious

Chris
Apologies for the poor wording. I just meant that I got my shipment from you very quickly. It always surprises me how quickly it gets out here to the east coast.

I'm saving up for a trip to the island, but that won't be for many many years. Especially with all this pricey kava I consume...