What's new

Kava Supply Chain Disruptions (COVID-19)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Bula,

Fiji has just had it's second case of COVID-19, and direct flights to the US will cease on Monday for probably three months. Vanuatu, Samoa, and Tonga will also be mostly cut off from the world, at least as far as air traffic is concerned.

There is talk of Fiji Airways maybe sending an occasional cargo-only flight to the US if there is enough demand from shippers, but it remains to be seen if that eventuates.

Anyway, this is just a heads up that there is a chance that kava supply from outside the US may begin to dry up after a couple of weeks. You may soon find yourselves dependant on Hawaiian kava. On the other hand, kava bars with excess kava they can't sell on-premises may start selling their kava online.

Don't panic.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Quote form Kava World FB page a couple days ago:

"Many Kava exporters this morning at the Port Vila International airport were sending their last kava consignments .... before the closure of all outbound international flights in the next couple of days .."
In the comments it says that the last plane from Vanuatu will be on Sunday. Until when is not known.

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
OK, this is Fiji's Minister for Economy confirming that if there is enough demand, they will have a weekly cargo run to the US.

Transcript: "To continue to assist importers and exporters, Fiji Airways is actively seeking advance commitments to facilitate weekly freight service flights from Nadi-Los Angeles, Nadi-Sydney, and Nadi-Auckland. Those looking to take advantage of the service should contact Fiji Airways head of cargo operations Athil Narayan by email at [email protected] or by phone at (+679) 990 8129."

So if you're a vendor worrying about getting your kava to the US, contact this guy.

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yes does anyone have a source we can read about or check for updates? any projections of how long this will go on and why exactly? cargo isn't a high risk for virus spread.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
No flights out of Vanuatu so all shipments must be by actual ships. Takes ages.
Same for Tonga and Samoa.
Fiji said the they would fly occasional cargo but not sure if it's happening.
Thank you. What are the other major kava sources ?
For example, Hawaii ? Maybe Chris at @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava can give us an update on how he's doing ? Anyone heard from him ?
Also, Solomon Islands ? Others ?

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Thank you. What are the other major kava sources ?
For example, Hawaii ? Maybe Chris at @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava can give us an update on how he's doing ? Anyone heard from him ?
Also, Solomon Islands ? Others ?
I am still growing, harvesting and selling my kava. There are a lot of people that are buying my kava now, I guess because there are others that are sold out, I am not sure. One thing is for sure, I have been going at it to try to keep up on orders.
Please everyone, stay safe. Aloha.

Chris

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
It looks like a container with 15 tonnes of kava recently left Vanuatu by sea bound for the US.
Vanuatu Kava can now be exported overseas again.

This came about after the National Disaster Management Office responded positively to the call made by the Vanuatu Kava Industry Association (VKIA).

VKIA chairman, Michael Louze, explained that since the State of Emergency (SoE), no kava could be exported and VKIA respected the rules to support the campaign against COVID-19.

But with the extensive damage on kava by cyclone Harold, it was primordial that export can start again, to ensure damaged kava can also be exported instead of rotting in gardens.

“We are really pleased the NDMO has given us the authorisation that we can resume exportation because it will also help us to meet expenses to farmers who needed us now because of the damaged kava from cyclone Harold,” he said.

“We have a first shipment since the first state of emergency ends and this shipment was for our market in US; unfortunately, it had to be shipped as borders were still closed and export by plane was not an option but we are very happy that the kava can be exported again and everyone is happy.”

Around 15 tonnes of kava had been stocked in Vila ready for exportation but it was not possible for the stock to be shipped out because the SoE was in place and other COVID-19 restrictions.

According to the chairman of VKIA, the next shipment will be for the Noumea market but this will depend if the nakamals reopen on the 5th of May.

Many farmers in the islands affected by cyclone Harold have started work on the damage kava recently; they were mobilised in helping their families and relatives to build back homes destroyed by the cyclone and help in the relief supplies in each community affected.

According to Mr. Louze, the kava production will see a big drop in the coming months and year as everyone will have to wait for new harvest. This will take time.
https://dailypost.vu/news/vanuatu-k...cle_158aa628-86a1-11ea-b77f-e3930c944cc5.html

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Is export from USA vendors to EU suspended? Some vendor's sites gave vague errors, my usual vendor at least updated their web shop that gave error that was specific (no payment available for my region) rather than confusing ones.