What's new

Powdered Kava Review Kava supreme

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have been increasingly interested and tolerant of heavy kavas. This one isn't going to make you sick from having one shell too many in my experience, but two shells too many and maybe.. it's not as heavy as nangol noble or stone, but it's definitely heavy. I could handle one shell of this in the afternoon or maybe 2-3 at night but wouldn't push further for fear of nausea. Quite potent stuff. I labeled it as peppery because it tastes weird but it doesn't actually taste peppery. I usually love the peppery taste.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah, I agree, tastes weird but doesn't taste peppery. I find it a pleasant weird, nothing wrong with it, not hard to drink. Nice strong kava. Kind of distinctive. Hits the spot bang on when you're in the mood for it.

Jay Charles

Kava Curious
i used to like this kava but now every time i have it i get pretty sick :/ ..it's likely something going on with my own physiology. i've been having trouble with certain kavas that i was able to drink daily before. maybe it's just too much kava in general. dunno.. but it's frustrating

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Interesting. This kava for me is one of the stronger ones that doesn't bother my stomach at all really. Most heavy kavas do but this one seems to be missing that nauseating element, and isnt so sedating. It's really good for socializing because of this. It does taste funky though

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
i used to like this kava but now every time i have it i get pretty sick :/ ..it's likely something going on with my own physiology. i've been having trouble with certain kavas that i was able to drink daily before. maybe it's just too much kava in general. dunno.. but it's frustrating
Please explain more ! I think I know what you mean

Jay Charles

Kava Curious
Please explain more ! I think I know what you mean
well i usually can figure out by trial and error what it is that makes me nauseous or sick.. but yeah i think with this kava in particular, maybe there's something about it that my body has just gotten so used to that it says "nope, not good anymore." i would get the same way in the past with different types of alcohol. the vanuatu kava supreme is very strong and i'm pretty sure that's part of it. i started on and prefer the mellower kavas, so it makes sense that i have trouble with it.

also, i've looked into the whole nobility/adulteration thing and man is it a rabbit hole. apparently all kava has some level of adulteration (of what is typically referred to as tudei but even that is a vague term). and some "noble" kavas are more "pure" in a sense than others. i don't know where this kava is on that spectrum but i suspect it's not up among the highest. (and not to take anyway from this kava. i still recommend it to people wanting to get into kava because i think it's a great first-time kava) for most people this makes absolutely no difference. they probably don't notice anything negative about it. there are tons of other factors too.. how much kava someone is drinking, how healthy/active they are, etc. that all impacts how you respond to kava i think. i drink kava pretty much every day all day. i will tend to make weaker kava and sip it (gross i know, but i'm used to it). and the extra water i've heard can add to nausea. (interestingly though, certain kavas on the upper end of the nobility spectrum are fine for me to drink even if they are watered down a LOT).

for a while i thought something was up with my straining method, and i did find that when kava starts collecting up your strainer, the kava you make in it will give me a less "clean" buzz. but that was only part of the problem it seemed. i also thought maybe all the extra water i was drinking (i really drink a lot of watered down kava everyday) was causing a slight sodium imbalance in my body or something. (i had a scary "water poisoning" experience a bit ago where i was taking anti-diuretics and i was still drinking kava.. which is a diuretic. had to go to the hospital. and i know that feeling. it starts with nausea and just this weird feeling).

but after everything i only *really* know that there are certain strains i can drink long-ish term (though i'm thinking now that any strain i drink too much of, my body will get "used" to it and i'll need to change things up). and the type of kava is very important for me. honestly my kava friends say i should take a decent length break from kava which yes, i probobly should do.. but i used to drink certain strains of kava daily for around 5 years without any problems. it's tough getting any real medical info about kava and all the subtle ways it affects people. even on here, there's not many people who can explain (adequately) or even relate to my issues. but anyway...

hah sorry for the novel of a reply. this was probably a lot more explaining than you cared for but it felt good to vent a little :)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Haha your fine to rant here !

What anti diuretic were you taking ?
I've never noticed the strainer bag thing ! But that's how old bowls of cannabacea are so makes sense

Jay Charles

Kava Curious
hm if i remember right it was something like dessemopressin. i took it for a week and kept drinking lots of kava.. i started feeling sick and nauseous towards the end of the week and then that weekend i woke up feeling REALLY wrong. like my brain had broken. i was dizzy and jerky and i actually had trouble speaking and remembering stuff. so i went to the hospital and i had to wait for an eternity because it was so crowded and all the while i got worse and worse.. i eventually got so wracked with pains i couldn't sit still and i couldn't move.. it was really one of the worst feelings i ever had. i really thought i was about to die (turns out i might have too if i hadn't gone to the hospital). anyway so yeah that sucked haha.

and yeah i think the strainer bag collecting residue isn't a big deal most of the time for most people. i mean i used a certain strainer just fine for over a year before i started having trouble. i thought it was just an intolerance thing to the kava but then i switched strainers and it was fine again. so go figure. now i just use nylon stockings that i buy in boxes and toss out each day. not the cheapest solution but it keeps my nausea at bay