What's new

Kava taste

lajja

Kava Curious
Quick question from a newbie (I've only had kava candy) ....is it pretty unanimous that traditional kava grog tastes like "dirty pond water"? I keep hearing about all this stomach queasiness and gagging....that doesn't sound all that pleasant to me. If it's true that it tastes so bad -- why dont more people just use extracts or flavored kava drinks which (I'm assuming) taste better?...

has anyone devised a REALLY good tasting kava recipe to drink?

-Lajja

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's mostly about cost effectiveness. There are good extracts, instants, and flavored kava drinks, but for day to day use some of us find powdered root is necessary for its affordability. Fresh kava root actually doesn't taste too bad but after it's dried it's just awful.

There are tons of instant/micronized recipes on here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/forums/kava-lounge.14/?prefix_id=10

Kalm with Kava is the best thing I've had that didn't taste like kava but was still effective.

lajja

Kava Curious
It's mostly about cost effectiveness. There are good extracts, instants, and flavored kava drinks, but for day to day use some of us find powdered root is necessary for its affordability. Fresh kava root actually doesn't taste too bad but after it's dried it's just awful.

There are tons of instant/micronized recipes on here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/forums/kava-lounge.14/?prefix_id=10

Kalm with Kava is the best thing I've had that didn't taste like kava but was still effective.
that makes sense...do you have a favorite flavored recipe? Or do you just bite the bullet and chug it down

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Nah, I'm not too much into flavored stuff. With micro/instant I like to add mio pomegranate (tip courtesy of HeadHodge) but other than that I just drink it straight.

D

Deleted User01

Check out the recipes in the Kavapedia. You can mix micronized and instant with a number of different fruit juices and club soda. Even with water, those two types have almost no taste. I use coconut water when I make grog and it helps. Remember, Kava was meant to be quickly chugged so you don't give your taste buds a chance to "enjoy".

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
Plus commercial extracts might be extracted with alcohol/acetone which might have health implications vs traditional water extraction. There are Co2 extracts available as you've seen.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@lajja , I wanted to start by saying
wellcome.jpg
To The Kava Forums. You have found the right place. I really do not have a whole lot to add, but to say, you should check out our Recipes, Like @Deleted User01 said. A lot of us members have posted recipes, that will amaze you. Much Love. Roaddog....

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
While in general it is true that grog doesn't taste good, that's not always the case.

Some of it is reasonably palatable. I've had kava that had a more weak black tea flavor or a mineral-like flavor. But yeah...it can be pretty :yuck:.