What's new

Kava Science Kava Testing Goals

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Deleted User or perhaps Kap'm is there a way to enlarge the chart. I can hardly see it on my pc - thanks

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Awesome Deleted User...up and runnin'. What do the 'RT' and 'Factor' numbers mean ?
I see the last four numbers have very little difference between them, they're all nearly equal.
I guess this is where each sample could test slightly different & have a little flip flop of chemotype numbers ?
It looks like your test came out: 243165 compared to 241356. Totally nailing the two most prominent ones, that also have the largest range between them.

Do you still happen to have any shaka-mystery-waka ?

ApéroNoble

This test is great, but I don't see how it discovers any slight adulteration of tudei which at the current time is the pink elephant in the room

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Any plans on testing efficiency of extraction methods? Would be interesting to have more data on water temp and blending v. kneading.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
you could also test for FK's in known tudei and known nonles...and start getting a good picture of the typical ratio, right ?
::happyshell::
::shell::::kavaleaf::::fkb::::kavaleaf::::shell::

ApéroNoble

This test measures the relative percentages of the kavalactones; the a***** test measures concentration of an unknown molecule believed unique to non-noble. So in that sense, no, HPLC testing is not capable of directly detecting adulteration. Identifying and quantifying a unique molecule which serves as an internal standard is a much better means of detecting adulteration, but unfortunately this is one of those cases where a tiny yet apparently powerful minority was able to suppress the vast majority. This is not to say we are left defenseless; ongoing a****** test results will still be posted in their secret location.

HPLC can detect adulteration, but more importantly it can give us a better understanding of how different cultivars affect us and why. In my opinion, this is an equally important aspect of kava research, and should prove very useful in promoting our favorite root.

Below is a mathematical prediction of the effects of adulteration based on actual HPLC tests of two kavas. The result is merely a prediction and not an actual test, but I will be doing such tests as I move forward. As you can see, DHM makes a considerable move, and this is a good warning sign:

I just want to make sure I understand this. We on this board are not allowed to use the term acetone test in any context. It is forbidden to have a sig. such as ""Ooh no I don't want this kava! I want this kava!" - Dr. Lebot......>>>>>>>> " or something similar unless it is on the "private forum". It's not my intention to create drama; truly. However when folks have to jump through several hoops in order to get to the truth and the truth in question is one perhaps directly impacting their health, seriously for those which may have ill health to begin with. You have to wonder if the site is doing more harm than good.

I say this because in the beginning the kava I was drinking was doing just this. Though I now understand all the ins & outs after hours on this forum and my background in health and nutrition, I think for the average person choosing a kava among those showcased in this forum is something of a blind one.

ApéroNoble

@ObiNouekFoNobl - Your signature is fine, I love it, don't change it!

The word "acetone" is not actually censored, that's just me living up to my diploma (http://stonermusicinc.com/kavatest/diploma1.jpg) and taking a less than gentle jab at those who were upset over the test results being visible to all. The test is still around, and as soon as new samples arrive I will be adding to the collection. Here's the secret location, you do need mod permission to view it: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/forums/acetonic-test-discussion.96/

And BTW, there's a few secrets hidden in that diploma, too. ;)
Good to hear you'll be continuing the acetonic test discussion thread, now there'll be two great threads with testing going simultaneously

Thread for folks to sign up for access to the private forum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/the-non-noble-question-and-what-has-to-stop.3592/#post-39526

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

I love the diploma. And when they put Smartass on there, they mean it in a good way.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Deleted User, in principle you could quantify flavokavains with HPLC, I guess the problem being that there is not a standard protocol like for kavalactones?, so you might need to do some experimentation. FKB for reference can be purchased here for the quite reasonable price of $177 for 5 milligrams.