What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Kava, the condensed actions

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The short and sweet version of what kava does to cause the psychological effects we are accustomed to. Each one of these topics are an entire paper to themselves so this paragraph represents volumes of scientific research.

"The pharmacological properties of kava are postulated to include blockade of voltage-gated sodium ion channels, enhanced ligand binding to γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) type A receptors, diminished excitatory neurotransmitter release due to calcium ion channel blockade, reduced neuronal reuptake of noradrenaline (norepinephrine), reversible inhibition of monoamine oxidase B and suppression of the synthesis of the eicosanoid thromboxane A2, which antagonizes GABAA receptor function."

Singh YN, Singh NN. Therapeutic potential of kava in the treatment of anxiety disorders. CNS Drugs. 2002;16(11):731-43. doi: 10.2165/00023210-200216110-00002. PMID: 12383029. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12383029/

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The short and sweet version of what kava does to cause the psychological effects we are accustomed to. Each one of these topics are an entire paper to themselves so this paragraph represents volumes of scientific research.

"The pharmacological properties of kava are postulated to include blockade of voltage-gated sodium ion channels, enhanced ligand binding to γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) type A receptors, diminished excitatory neurotransmitter release due to calcium ion channel blockade, reduced neuronal reuptake of noradrenaline (norepinephrine), reversible inhibition of monoamine oxidase B and suppression of the synthesis of the eicosanoid thromboxane A2, which antagonizes GABAA receptor function."

Singh YN, Singh NN. Therapeutic potential of kava in the treatment of anxiety disorders. CNS Drugs. 2002;16(11):731-43. doi: 10.2165/00023210-200216110-00002. PMID: 12383029. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12383029/
I'm gonna pretend I understood all of that.

Translation;

Kava is good for the head.
Kava is good for the body.
Kava is good for the soul.

::chugger::

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm gonna pretend I understood all of that.

Translation;

Kava is good for the head.
Kava is good for the body.
Kava is good for the soul.

::chugger::
  • Blockade of voltage-gated sodium ion channels
    • Topical anesthetic action. It's what causes the numbing sensation.
  • Enhanced ligand binding to γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) type A receptors
    • Reduction in anxiety and stress similar to a benzodiazepine in effect, but not in action. Kava does not bind to the classical benzodiazepine site.
  • Diminished excitatory neurotransmitter release due to calcium ion channel blockade
    • Again, more sedation, anxiety reduction and stress reduction. Reduces blood pressure.
  • Reduced neuronal reuptake of noradrenaline (norepinephrine)
    • The bright pseudo-stimulatory effects. Also anti-depressant action.
  • Reversible inhibition of monoamine oxidase B
    • Anti-depressant action.
  • Suppression of the synthesis of the eicosanoid thromboxane A2, which antagonizes GABAA receptor function.
    • Pain relief. Similar to aspirin and other NSAIDs

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
  • Enhanced ligand binding to γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) type A receptors
    • Reduction in anxiety and stress similar to a benzodiazepine in effect, but not in action. Kava does not bind to the classical benzodiazepine site.
  • Diminished excitatory neurotransmitter release due to calcium ion channel blockade
    • Again, more sedation, anxiety reduction and stress reduction. Reduces blood pressure.
  • Reduced neuronal reuptake of noradrenaline (norepinephrine)
    • The bright pseudo-stimulatory effects. Also anti-depressant action.
  • Reversible inhibition of monoamine oxidase B
    • Anti-depressant action.
  • Suppression of the synthesis of the eicosanoid thromboxane A2, which antagonizes GABAA receptor function.
    • Pain relief. Similar to aspirin and other NSAIDs
This kind of relatively simple, mostly understandable explanation of a difficult subject is what I refer to often and what's needed in most all of these scientific papers.
Or so I opine!
If a more simplistic interpretation of the research were presented in complex papers I think it would benefit the commoners like myself.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I wonder - has anyone tried using kava as a real topical anesthetic? I wonder how it would work for application specific sore muscles, or joint pain. Is it really just topical or would it relieve pain a little deeper? I have some powdered extract in the back of my cabinet - which I have had for years and don't plan on ingesting. I am thinking of mixing it into some lotion and trying it topically. Any historical usage as a topical medicine?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I wonder - has anyone tried using kava as a real topical anesthetic? I wonder how it would work for application specific sore muscles, or joint pain. Is it really just topical or would it relieve pain a little deeper? I have some powdered extract in the back of my cabinet - which I have had for years and don't plan on ingesting. I am thinking of mixing it into some lotion and trying it topically. Any historical usage as a topical medicine?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
There was a company in Hawai'i that shipped dried kava to US Military for dental pain for active duty troops in the field.
Specifically this is annecdotal evidence from a nurseryman I knew here in the 1980's who told me he did this regularly during the Vietnam war.
Also, at least one small company that infused kava extract into their commercial soap. Out of business now as far as I know.
And the woman who grew Hawaiian 'awa up in Honoka'a. She had a boutique and sold a dried-'awa-leaf bath product where dried leaves
were placed in warm bath tub water and you'd take a bath in it. The product was actually quite successful but she got old and is retired now.
This was long before the leaf-alkaloid issues and liver concern, however I doubt that would be a factor with soaking in steeped 'awa leaf???

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Blockade of voltage-gated sodium ion channels
I thought this was one of the major contributors to the relaxing qualities of Kava. To slow down communication of calcium and sodium ion channels, is a paradoxical action, in which neurons may communicate more freely as a result. We think of them as going in straight lines, but I doubt this is the case, and slowing them, blocking them, reuptaking them, or diminishing communication in some way often leads to increased function in areas of the brain we may not expect. Correct me if I'm wrong, I am thinking this is more than topical, but if the sodium ion channels and calcium ion channels are mainly topical control areas let me know. Bula!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Blockade of voltage-gated sodium ion channels
I thought this was one of the major contributors to the relaxing qualities of Kava. To slow down communication of calcium and sodium ion channels, is a paradoxical action, in which neurons may communicate more freely as a result. We think of them as going in straight lines, but I doubt this is the case, and slowing them, blocking them, reuptaking them, or diminishing communication in some way often leads to increased function in areas of the brain we may not expect. Correct me if I'm wrong, I am thinking this is more than topical, but if the sodium ion channels and calcium ion channels are mainly topical control areas let me know. Bula!
It may have other actions we've not covered here, but I was attributing the most known effects of kava there. Blockade of sodium ion channels is thought to be the method in which topical anesthetics work, and they can also be useful to correct heart rhythm, and also possibly reducing wider pain signaling.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
This kind of relatively simple, mostly understandable explanation of a difficult subject is what I refer to often and what's needed in most all of these scientific papers.
Or so I opine!
If a more simplistic interpretation of the research were presented in complex papers I think it would benefit the commoners like myself.
The funniest part of this comment is you referring to yourself as a commoner, you are a modest person.

But I am with you, there needs to be a kava for dummies for the rest of us, I would love to see Dr. Lebot work broken down in a such a way for dummies like me.