What's new

Kava Preparation Kava the drink of peace. Hawaii's Awa Renaissance. (.PDF) With CTAHR Prep Method

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Today's fact of the day comes from the University of Hawaii. This short pdf document covers history, kavalactones, effects, and a special prep method known as the "CTAHR method" which can help you maximize the kavalactone extractions from your root.

Direct CTAHR PDF:

Today's fact of the day comes from the University of Hawaii. This short pdf document covers history, kavalactones, effects, and a special prep method known as the "CTAHR method" which can help you maximize the kavalactone extractions from your root.

Direct CTAHR PDF:

wow Kapmcrunk you have something new everyday, thanks for the info.

hightides42

our Roots run deep
will try that extraction method soon, have unpacked scale need to find measuring cups and blender still ::KavaChug::

and pretty stunned over price increase this past decade, damn... assuming its primarily a supply and demand issue, kinda don't want to tell anyone new about this wonderful root because if it hits $100usd/lb then it will become a rare treat quickly! seeing sellers at $80/lb now makes me shudder with even greater respect for those keeping it at $60/lb and below.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
will try that extraction method soon, have unpacked scale need to find measuring cups and blender still ::KavaChug::

and pretty stunned over price increase this past decade, damn... assuming its primarily a supply and demand issue, kinda don't want to tell anyone new about this wonderful root because if it hits $100usd/lb then it will become a rare treat quickly! seeing sellers at $80/lb now makes me shudder with even greater respect for those keeping it at $60/lb and below.
I'm putting forth an honest effort to connect with vendors seeking to bring quality kavas to the market at more reasonable price points. In fact, the two vendors I've brought in recently were fruits of that labor. They may not be "one hitter quitter" kavas, but they're daily drinkers that get the job done while being noble. My quest continues...

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
What is the current situation? Regarding kava in hawaii.

What kind of support does it get regarding marketing and production.
The State of Hawai'i Department of Agricultulture funded 2 (two) large runs of-
'AWA, from Cutting to Beverage. This was to promote 'awa growing in Hawai'i.
Nationally, Hawaiian 'awa is now listed in Codex alimentarius as "safe food/beverage".
That list includes other kava growing regions of the Pacific, Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga, more.
At least one additional kava wholesaler is moving operations to Hawai'i
and beginning with 50 acres.
Things are happening but not fast enough for me.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
The State of Hawai'i Department of Agricultulture funded 2 (two) large runs of-
'AWA, from Cutting to Beverage. This was to promote 'awa growing in Hawai'i.
Nationally, Hawaiian 'awa is now listed in Codex alimentarius as "safe food/beverage".
That list includes other kava growing regions of the Pacific, Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga, more.
At least one additional kava wholesaler is moving operations to Hawai'i
and beginning with 50 acres.
Things are happening but not fast enough for me.
When I was there it seems like you have to search for it. It could be promoted more towards visitors. Like what would happen if uncle roberts market was kava only?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
When I was there it seems like you have to search for it. It could be promoted more towards visitors. Like what would happen if uncle roberts market was kava only?
You are right, that's what I mean about things not happening fast enough.
Numerous Kava Bars have shut down due to Covid 19.
I lost all faith in Uncle Roberts' when they began offering K@ extract capsules.!!
Shocking.
What Hawai'i needs is more 'awa farmers.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
My two concerns with this method are:

1. If they use sharp blades and run dried kava in it for so long, they effectively micronise it. This surely affects the "tested potency", but also produces a pretty rough drink.
2. The amount of water used is so high that drinking it all becomes an unpleasant challenge.

I appreciate this was a scientific experiment, but I would suggest to any kava bar owner or individual who might be tempted to use this method, to make sure that they understand the disadvantages of trying to make the most out of the root this way.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
My two concerns with this method are:

1. If they use sharp blades and run dried kava in it for so long, they effectively micronise it. This surely affects the "tested potency", but also produces a pretty rough drink.
2. The amount of water used is so high that drinking it all becomes an unpleasant challenge.

I appreciate this was a scientific experiment, but I would suggest to any kava bar owner or individual who might be tempted to use this method, to make sure that they understand the disadvantages of trying to make the most out of the root this way.
But don't you avoid the problem with micronised kava, if you strain it with a fine strainer ?

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
My main problem is finding a good blender which is suitable for processing kava: it has to have a glass container and strong enough, durable blades. Any recommendations?

hightides42

our Roots run deep
My main problem is finding a good blender which is suitable for processing kava: it has to have a glass container and strong enough, durable blades. Any recommendations?
I've owned this 1000w 2 speed classic beehive oster since the mid 90s, replaced blades twice and the plastic base that holds seal and blades to the bottom of jar had to replace 1x as i cracked it cranking it too tight last year.

the 6 cup version is available on amazon for about $60usd

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have a plastic blender that wasn't expensive and I've been using it since 2015 when I first started drinking kava. I haven't replaced anything. The bowl is white and not see through any more where it's been scrubbed by so many kavas and the engine is a bit noisier than when it was new but it still does the job fine.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I have a plastic blender that wasn't expensive and I've been using it since 2015 when I first started drinking kava. I haven't replaced anything. The bowl is white and not see through any more where it's been scrubbed by so many kavas and the engine is a bit noisier than when it was new but it still does the job fine.
Wow Edward, I never guessed tbat, I wrongly estimated you had a good 6 or 7 years experience on top of my one.

So...you are only 5 times the expert after all! ;)

Just 25 grams of Koro today. Definitely very potent. And I think I can confirm for sure, for me at least, more outright heavy than the one quality Kadavu I have tried, which is different, I would call it more hynotic and dazing, than pure mellowing and sedating.

Still not tried the Artofkava Kadavu but look forward.

And as I said to you the other day, that KD Vanuatu Waka has really sjrprised me with it's potency.

I mean, and I'm not saying it's-better, but it is stronger by a margin for example than both Tongan Choice and Family Reserve. Two potent kavas I enjoy very much.