What's new

Kava, tinnitus and GABA

Thomas2060

Kava Curious
I have some mild tinnitus which is worse in one ear. I manage to ignore it much of the time, but now and then I remember it and it drives me batty. It's a high-pitched ringing, something like 10khz. Disappears in any noisy environment but at home when it's quiet, can be very distracting.

I've seen studies that show tinnitus can be correlated with a lack of GABA. The lack of GABA apparently allows certain neurons to remain in an "overexcited" state and we perceive this as tinnitus. Lack of GABA may also cause buildup (of what I can't recall) to accumulate on the auditory hair cells which causes them to misfunction.

Anyway, I've used kava for close to a year now. I know kava and GABA have some connection but I'm not sure if it applies to tinnitus, in any case, I haven't noticed a reduction of tinnitus. However I've seen some accounts that GABA supplements can reduce tinnitus for some people. GABA is relatively cheap so it seems worth a try, as long as it doesn't interact negatively with kava, which is does not seem to from what I've found.

Anyone have more expert knowledge in this area?

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
I get ringing in the ear from more headier cultivators sometimes. Or a couple days after a heavy session. Seems to come and go

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Kava can do some weird things to hearing it's been discussed before. I am not shocked you had a reduction in Tinnitus. I was trying to find sources but I can't but I remember distinctly it being a thing.