What's new

Kava too thick!

Steve973

Kava Curious
Hello all.  I am new to the world of Kava, but I have tried some from my second order tonight.  The first order was for Solomon Islands Kava, which was excellent!  This time around, I ordered Black Sand Kava as well as Stone Kava.  I find that if I mix 1 cup of kava with 2 cups of water, the result is a VERY thick mixture.  When I try to squeeze this out, it is usually too thick to squeeze, and I have to add at least another cup of water.  I am adding either a half teaspoon or a whole teaspoon of lecithin, but I think this is pretty normal.  Anyone have any idea why it's coming out so thick, and does anyone have any suggestions about how I can keep this from happening?  It makes it harder to drink, as you can imagine.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Next time try 1 cup to 5 cups of water. I usually use 2 TBSP per cup (2 tbsp of kava per cup of water) so a cup of kava would go in 8 cups nicely.

kl.alohasteve

Kava Curious
Ahh Nakamal's infamous 1 cup of kava per 2 cups of water mixture. Not only is this expensive but it's also very very potent. I also use 2 tbsp per cup as a rule of thumb.

What type of strainer are you using? I've never tried Black Sand, but I've found that Nakamal's strainers allow too much of the finer kava particles through. So they work well with Chief's, but not finer kavas like Stone.

Steve973

Kava Curious
Tonight, I tried Stone Kava.  Previously, I had been using fairly hot water (around 160F) and lecithin.  This time, I used water that was around 80F and I didn't use lecithin.  I think that one or both of those variables was contributing to the super thick kava.  I will use lecithin next time with the room temperature water, and see what happens.  By the way, the Stone kava tastes FAR better than the previous varieties.  It's hardly bitter at all!

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I remember trying to figure out how I fucked up, when I was able to make kava in the past. I thought I must have broken my strainer.

I realized I had misread the values in the video and was mixing 1.5 cups hot and 1.5 cups cold water, instead of 0.5 hot and 1.5 cold. I would never go thicker than 1 cup of kava to 3 cups of water.

I now use the ratio of about 1.5 cups of kava to 1 gallon of water. Tends to work better for me.

kl.Ted

Kava Curious
Try the Fijian strainer bag from http://www.kickbackwithkava.com/

The temperature is probably what's causing this. I use 130f and lecithin. Too much blending will cause this too.

You can filter the kava again, without squeezing much, to get rid of the grit. The small nylon bag from n@h works well for this because it's not too coarse, not too fine.

kavalover

Outsider
Yeah personally I only use 2 tbsp per cup as well, works wonders for me and saves money. The only time I go for the 1 cup kava per 2 cups water is if I'm reeeally trying to relax on the weekend or for weaker kavas like Kona Kava Farms Mahakea.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
There is a Law of Diminishing Returns when it comes to mixing it thick. There's also an art to creating a pathway through the kava.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I can't even imagine doing 1 cup kava to 2 cups water. One shell of that would be like 5 of my normal shells. I can imagine that it is quite a bit stronger than other methods though. Can anyone chime in on the strength of this method? Is it wickedly stronger than say doing half cup kava to 4 cups water?

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I think it's stronger. Someone said in the Facebook group for Nakamal@Home that other kava companies gave "light beer" instructions, whereas Namakal@Home provides "hard liquor" instructions.

I think this might be the ratio they use at Nakava.

My personal tastes are about 1.5 cups per gallon these days. I'll probably cut it down after the "Holidays." I think one needs that ratio or more in order to make Tongan "Tong."

Steve973

Kava Curious
It can be stronger that way, but it can also be less efficient because it's much harder to squeeze it out when there is so much in the bag. This is one of my old, old posts, and since then, I have settled on 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup of kava root to about a cup and a quarter water.

jkw

Kava Curious
I'll be the contrarian and recommend the 1 cup to 2 cups ratio. Actually I do 1 cup to 2 1/4 cups so that once I strain I end up with just about 2 cups. Using a fijian strainer it's easy to squeeze. Just don't try squeezing the whole cup as a big ball, work it over in smaller sections in the bag. And as far as strength, yes it's way stronger, but I prefer it as I don't have to choke down too much. I find that 4oz is plenty, and so much easier to drink. The temptation is always there though to just down it all.

I'm new to all of this. I just bought and received in the mail the Solomon Kava and I followed Nakamal's instructions cause I didn't know any better and I just drank it all. Now I am very stoned and a little dizzy feeling. I definately have some good feelings, but I also feel a little sick feeling too. I kind of feel like I have drank too much hard liquor too fast and I did used to drink alcohol everyday. I'm using this as hopefully a healthier relaxation method than alcohol. I am amazed at the potency of this stuff. Wow! I was taking Kava pills and drinking Yogi Kava tea from Walmart before this and that was almost like taking nothing at all, but this stuff definately has a major effect. I don't know if I'll ever get used to the taste, but it may just be worth it for the buzz. I can see how this will replace alcohol for me. I'm buzzed pretty hard.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome to the Kava Lounge, chuck!

It's interesting that you got a good effect from your first go at root powder. Most folks have to go through a few weeks of daily drinking to get to where you are now (a process we call 'reverse tolerance' here).

It definitely sounds as if you are properly krunked! If you get double vision, that's a good indication to not drink any more. Otherwise, expect to spend some time praying to the porcelain god in your bathroom.

While you may get used to the taste, it's unlikely you will ever "like" the taste as few do. Make sure to drink your shells as quickly as possible and try a fruit juice chaser - works for me.

I would reduce your dosage to 2-4 Tbls powder per cup of water for the most drinkable results.