What's new

Kava Types: The three distinct types of powdered kava products.

What's your favorite type of kava?

• Micronized (Micronized Instant)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
GreenInstant-BKH-Product-2_grande.jpg

(Image Source: Bula Kava House, www.bulakavahouse.com)​

Instant – Instant kava is kava that has been prepared from fresh kava juice w/ water that has been dried in some manner. The process in which instant kava is created varies from producer to producer. Generally held as a company secret, we’ve seen people using vacuum desiccators, freeze driers, and spray driers to name a few methods. Prices range from $150 per pound to over $400 per pound in some instances with an average cost of $209 per pound (In the US).

Pros: Ease of use. Simply just mix with water and drink, no need for straining or kneading. You may also make the brew as weak or as strong as you like it with greater accuracy.
Cons: Cost. Easily the most expensive form of powdered kava sold.

Micro-Preview_1024x1024.jpg

(Image Source: Kava Time, www.kavatime.us)​

Micronized (Also seen sold as “Micronized Instant”) – What you’re essentially getting here is the dust that falls from your kava when you place it into your strainer bag. Micronized instants are made by sifting traditional kava with progressively finer meshed screen sizes. The fine powder is kept, while the sifted larger pieces are set aside or discarded. There may be a product stream in sifted kava leftovers, as kavalactones remain bound in the hard fibers referred to as “makas”. Price range: $70/lb to $104/lb. Average of $95 per pound (In the US).

Pros: Ease of use. Similar to instant kava, this product is mixed with water and consumed. Cheaper than instant kava. More consistent than traditional grind.
Cons: Can bring on dermopathy more quickly and can cause digestive upset. More expensive than traditional grind as a rule.

DSC_4786.jpg

(Image Source: Kalm with Kava, www.kalmwithkava.com)​

Traditional Grind (Medium Grind) – The most common form of kava seen on the market. This is Kava that has been hand pounded, milled, or pulverized to reduce the particle size. Particle sizes usually range from .5mm to 5mm. Prices range from $37 per pound to $100 per pound, with an average cost of $62 per pound overall (In the US).

Pros: Cheaper than the other two forms of kava. Opens your possibilities up to a wider array of different kava strains not seen as micronized or instant powders. Cleaner experience than micronized. On par with instant in terms of effects, but much cheaper.
Cons: Preparation phase is more difficult. Requires strainer. This kava requires you to agitate, knead, and strain the powder. Strength of resulting brew can vary due to inconsistencies in preparation.

Sources: My own knowledge, and the google spreadsheet I routinely maintain on pricing and availability found here:

Attachments

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I vote traditional, I always get it’s full effects. Oddly, I tend to use micronized most. Micronized, it’s easy and I am always in a rush. But when I get that rare chance to sit back, I want to squeeze the life out of that kava bag! I still don’t get the full effects like I will get with traditional.

Instant doesn’t give me the effects that it seems to give everyone else. I about have to IV bag that mess and that gets expensive. I am a light weight generalily unless it’s instant, then I am a hard head.. Go figure...