What's new

Kava Weight In Grams

greg99

Kava Curious
Hey everyone,

So since I started with a kava on and off about 2 months ago I have always used a real measuring tablespoon to keep close track of my consumption and dosage. That has made it really accurate and easy for me. The problem is that some of the weights are off. If I just do a quick Google search it states that 1 TBSP is equal to 15 Grams. Simple enough. However, when I look at the back of my package of Loa Waka from KWK it states that 1 TBSP is equal to 5 Grams. Well, to be accurate it states that 3 TBSP is a serving size and that is equal to 15 Grams...

KWK seems like super fantastic company and I love their product and customer service so I can't even begin to believe it is a way to move more kava. Therefore, and I hate to even say it because I know it's not true...what is the reason for this? Is kava somehow weighed differently? What exactly is a TBSP of medium grind in grams? What is the cause of this discrepancy?

Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey everyone,

So since I started with a kava on and off about 2 months ago I have always used a real measuring tablespoon to keep close track of my consumption and dosage. That has made it really accurate and easy for me. The problem is that some of the weights are off. If I just do a quick Google search it states that 1 TBSP is equal to 15 Grams. Simple enough. However, when I look at the back of my package of Loa Waka from KWK it states that 1 TBSP is equal to 5 Grams. Well, to be accurate it states that 3 TBSP is a serving size and that is equal to 15 Grams...

KWK seems like super fantastic company and I love their product and customer service so I can't even begin to believe it is a way to move more kava. Therefore, and I hate to even say it because I know it's not true...what is the reason for this? Is kava somehow weighed differently? What exactly is a TBSP of medium grind in grams? What is the cause of this discrepancy?

Thanks!
Kava weight will vary by grind, plant, and moisture content. Using tablespoons to measure kava is woefully imprecise. Be sure when you're measuring that you're using level spoons and not heaping spoons. I personally only measure in grams with a kitchen scale to avoid this issue.

greg99

Kava Curious
Thanks Kap,

I suspected that must be the case. Given your experience and since you are using an actual scale have you found any sort of general figure? I totally hear what you are saying about it varying so at the risk of asking something stupid...have you come to a general consensus? Would you imagine the KWK figure is fairly accurate? I'm just trying to accuratley hit around 40G per dose this package as that seems to be about average and in the past have been blowing through that. So this is sort of an ongoing experiment. Obviously I should get a scale...but just curious your thoughts...if 3 TBSP KWK medium grind is 15 grams then roughly 6-7 TBSP would be 40G...sheesh...I got a MA English degree to avoid just this thing! lol